PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Failure

xdfarrx
12/10/2011, 10:56 PM
Hey all,
Been a while since I posted.
99', 85k
Babied, literally, maintainance status:good.
Replaced EGR valve, and tranfer mode switch few years ago.

So I drive car to work. Park. Come back car wont shift into gear. When I put it into park it makes loud grinding noise (yikes!)

Never had any slipping in past, ever, just the common hard shift from 1st to 2nd, but nothing tell tale of anything failing. ???

When I do shift it into a gear the idle oscillates up and down not crazy but slightly.

First off- Im going to make sure the tranny fluid level is good as I know this can sometimes be the issue. That said I had the tranny fluids, diffs, and all long term fluids done @ 15k-18k miles ago.

I drive the car @ 7k a year and had nothing to indicate anything. Thats the trippiest deal, totally bewildered. Ive never heard of a tranny just failing with no warning or peculiarness

Already looked vie the search function for a cause but nothing. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
TIA
happy holidays
Dylan

Scott Larson
12/11/2011, 06:53 AM
I'd put my money on a linkage issue! Crawl underneath and carefully inspect all linkages. Move them around a bit looking for loose or missing pins or clips. If everything checks out there, pull off the shift counsole and look for issues with those connection points. If you find your problem starting with the basics, you may save alot of time and frustration elsewhere! Best of luck, now go get dirty...:mado:

VXorado
12/12/2011, 10:55 PM
Were you able to drive the VX home from work?

xdfarrx
12/13/2011, 12:03 AM
Towed it into my friend who is head mech at Lexus. Looked at it and something was buggered in the shift linkage. Not sure exactly what he did as I wasnt able to be in the garage when he did it. Runs like butter now. Was SO scared.

Im lucky. Gonna get the trans serviced and do other fluids replacement. Im eleated I was gutted.

thanks for the responses

Scott Larson
12/13/2011, 05:40 AM
Hey Dylan, glad it was a cheap and easy fix!