View Full Version : VT_Maverick's 5 Speed Swap

Pages : 1 [2]

VX crazy
05/23/2015, 06:22 PM
Ryan what happened to my tranny? ????

LittleBeast
05/23/2015, 08:51 PM
Ryan what happened to my tranny? ????

Torque converter only lasted under a year. Have no idea, but I am done with the auto tranny now.

eternal21
05/23/2015, 11:42 PM
Aren't your clutch and brake pedals too close together? I tried running with my original brake pedal for awhile and that was too close. I ended up cutting it down to allow for more room and this was with the rodeo clutch pedal.

Negative. I wear a size 12-13 depending on the shoe company, and all has been fine, no issues.

LittleBeast
05/25/2015, 08:55 AM
I plan on swapping in the trooper brake and clutch pedals for now

LittleBeast
05/25/2015, 12:19 PM
Slave cylinder mounted...

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/901877/fullsize/100_2063.jpg

Do you have any pictures of how the slave cylinder is mounted inside of the tranny case?

Also the shift arm on my donor tranny is pretty rusty, should I sand the rust down and treat it at all? Also I think I am missing the circular cover on the very bottom of the tranny. What is that used for?

LittleBeast
06/01/2015, 03:42 PM
I would! :D

Since it came out of a Trooper, I'd assume it is this one:

http://www.carid.com/1998-isuzu-trooper-transmission-parts/item-7955070.html I see it on eBay for $500 and cheaper, so I would *def* search for a better price.

When I purchased the used Trooper, the orig. owner advised that the clutch job had been done w/in 4-5 months, so I didn't replace it. I did, however, replace the t/o bearing and pilot bearing, which come in the aforementioned kit.

I used a NSK Pilot Bearing (P/N W0133-1631634)
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/NSK/Pilot_Bearing/W0133-1631634.html

and I also replaced the throwout (release) bearing with a Sachs unit (P/N W0133-1608860).
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Sachs/Release_Bearing/W0133-1608860.html

The above-referenced site has the least expensive price for the Sach's unit. Every other place I checked was north of $100. They got both parts to me w/in 2 days, as well.

Well I found the kit you mentioned for $600 at another place, but ended up going with the KIS06 kit that the Exedy website suggested going with. It was $465 at RockAuto.com

papi007bulgaria
01/08/2016, 06:00 AM
Hello guys.

I just had my 4l30e fail (No backing up, under even moderate acceleration it just revs to 5 000 rpm without any change of vehicle speed. The closest noise i can relate to from my transmission is like a supercharger whine) .

The beast is a JDM 3.2 Vx and am wondering - are the bolt patterns the same as the 3.5 ?

The plan is to get a wrecked/engine failed 3.5 trooper. Back half of the troop becomes a trailer. AR-5 tranny mates with TOD and makes the VX even more fun. However prefer to ask if this the tranny part will work, or what modifications will be in order for the coupling.

Alternatively i've got a quote from a local mechanic. 2nd hand gearbox with t.case from a Rodeo (Opel Frontera over here) , new clutch, pedal assembly etc - $1100 with labour. Only downside is loosing the TOD, which i am keen on with my driving habits :)

Repairing the Automatic ? Least favourite option. But if it costs next to nothing will be the way i will go.

Thank you for your replies!
Pavel

bartmanS4
01/08/2016, 12:18 PM
Hi Pavel,

I can't say for sure that the bolt pattern is the same but I can't imagine that it would be different. I highly recommend going with the AR5 and TOD. It really works well together. I have since changed out my TOD for a manual 3:1 transfer case but that was strictly for the gear ratio.

Cheers,
Scott

Buffy
01/09/2016, 01:45 PM
If you have access to a Trooper with the AR5 I would go that route. Everything will bolt in place. I would also suggest getting the fuel line from the Trooper otherwise you will have to bend the lines around the tranny by hand. the Rodeo most likely has the MUA5 speed trans. You will probably have to have your drive shafts modified to accommodate the different lengths of the transmission. The bolt patterns are the same between the 3.2 and 3.5 engines. I have installed an AR5 in a 95 Rodeo with a 3.2.