PDA

View Full Version : VX roof ladder

braaus
01/31/2012, 11:26 PM
I saw a Delica on the street today, and it had this really handy ladder fitted on it. I wonder if i could adapt one for my VX, has anyone seen one with a ladder?
It would be handy to access the roof cage, and would look good in my opinion, accentuating the off road style. I found some examples online:

http://www.delicashop.com/p/179/Hgh-roof-ladder-Melbourne.html

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mitsubishi-Pajero-Montero-Shogun-82-91-REAR-LADDER-/150737231997?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2318a3a07d

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-Landcruiser-70-75-78-series-84-06-REAR-LADDER-FREE-SHIPPING-/150737232046?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2318a3a0ae

braaus
02/01/2012, 02:16 AM
Just out of curiosity, found this VX rally winner for sale, it has roof vents, interesting...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rally-Car-Isuzu-Vcross-V-Cross-Vehi-Cross-3-5L-V6-/330662141942?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4cfcffdff6

and they have them for sale:

http://www.rooracing.com.au/index.php/sales

VXorado
02/01/2012, 08:09 AM
The problem with fitting a ladder is that the VX has a small tailgate. I think it would be a nice addition if you could make it fit. I say go for it... but keep the receipt just in case.

Also, Coastie added a roof scoop to his VX. Check it out:
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19316&highlight=hood+scoop

nfpgasmask
02/01/2012, 08:43 AM
It might just be me, but in general, I find the VX too stylish to add things like ladders, snorkels, spare tyre (I spelled it that way just for you) carriers and winch bumpers. The body lines of the VX are a work of automotive art, and to muck a VX up with excessive offroad/expedition mods is just going against the grain for me. That's why I have my Jackaroo (I spelled it that way for you too). :)

But, with the right skills, some of these things can be added without horrible after effects.

Bart

PS - That rally VX is pretty sweet.

VX KAT
02/01/2012, 09:35 AM
Guessing math isn't their strong point...:laugho:
Price $ 38,500 NEW PRICE $35.500 THATS A SAVINGS OF $2,500

tom4bren
02/01/2012, 09:42 AM
Like any mod - if you like it do it. I don't really see it catching on so that might actually be a good thing ... makes yours unique.

I find a ladder to be superfluous though if you install rims with the proper offset:)

PK
02/01/2012, 03:30 PM
Guessing math isn't their strong point...:laugho:
Price $ 38,500 NEW PRICE $35.500 THATS A SAVINGS OF $2,500

Good catch Sue.

That old beast has been for sale for a long time, and the price has gradually dropped for $38,000. (About 18 months ago)
Looks like last drop, they forgot to update the savings figure.

PK

Gussie2000
02/01/2012, 04:20 PM
A ladder on the VX ? Are you serious about that ?

I agree with you bart !!!

Sorry this may sound a bit loud but i just don't see why modify such vehicule as the VX like we are

talking about a jeep wrangler,cherokee,CJ or such.

Snorkel,roof scoops (sorry coastie),removal of the back door to put bended pipes making it look like a pick

up,removal of the doors,destroying the front bumper to add some weird looking steel,full spare tires

attached to the door ( sorry tom ) like a toyota RAV-4 just don't fit the VX's profile.

As bart said the VX body line and design is way too good to mess with it.

braaus
02/01/2012, 05:55 PM
That was just a thought, i climb on the tyres (like Tom said) to get stuff from the cage anyway. It might be noisy when driving on the highway (i thought that a ladder, if fitted, should be on the side of the car) and yes, it would damage the car's image, the lines are way too nice. I want to "purify" my car look, because has a hood scoop at the moment, i tried to remove, but it left maks and shows fading around it was exposed to the sun, so i put it back until i can afford to have the hood resprayed (and remove other stickers around the car...). NFP, thanks for the "tyre" not "tire"! I lived in USA for 3 years and was weird for me when i came to Australia to find out they spelled different. VXorado, i think that before doing anything to modify my car, i need to buy nice fat tyres (tires, hehehe) like yours, and spray my wheels black, it's far more important, since the ones fitted in my car, according to the previous owner, are the factory ones still! They have some cracks between the threads, they are 15 years old! Amazing! My car has done only 83.000km (51.500 miles) and a hitch bar that i need. Kat (Sue) you're always the balanced person on the threads (the brain). Any luck with your taillight guards? If you succeed, and decide fabricate to sell more to us, i want one pair!
Gussie, after saying all that, i think i'm back on the good books with you :)

VX KAT
02/01/2012, 07:18 PM
Kat (Sue) you're always the balanced person on the threads (the brain). Any luck with your taillight guards? If you succeed, and decide fabricate to sell more to us, i want one pair!
Gussie, after saying all that, i think i'm back on the good books with you :)

http://www.pic4ever.com/images/25r30wi.gif
Oh are you misguided! :p
Tail light guards: still actively working on it.

I got the number of the fabricator "Ala5ka" mentioned, thought I'd discuss it with him.

Exploring what it would take to get tabs welded onto the stainless steel ones I got, and then get powdercoated black. Maybe fabricator above can do it.

I placed a WTB post on the planetisuzoo.com

I'm still doing some internet searching...I find a new vendor every few days...still no luck though....

and lastly, I'm thinking of putting them out to bid to anybody on the forum that can do this kind of fabrication.....

Welcome anybody else's ideas!

VXorado
02/01/2012, 07:20 PM
VXorado, i think that before doing anything to modify my car, i need to buy nice fat tyres (tires, hehehe) like yours, and spray my wheels black, it's far more important, since the ones fitted in my car, according to the previous owner, are the factory ones still!

Oh yeah buddy :thumbup:

I thought Australia had limitations on oversized tyres?

Like any mod - if you like it do it. I don't really see it catching on so that might actually be a good thing ... makes yours unique.

Quote of the Day. :)

Snorkel,roof scoops (sorry coastie),removal of the back door to put bended pipes making it look like a pick

up,removal of the doors,destroying the front bumper to add some weird looking steel,full spare tires

attached to the door ( sorry tom ) like a toyota RAV-4 just don't fit the VX's profile.

...but the VX ain't no Rav-4 which is built as a big bodied car. Most of the offroad mods you mentioned are functional for those of us who like dirt more than pavement.

Everyone has different tastes & opinions. Make it your own or leave it stock, whatever makes you happy.

braaus
02/01/2012, 08:08 PM
Stop the press! Sue, found u that little jdm fender rearview mirror u wanted! There's a VX being sold 75km from me, and the owner took it off already! I'll see how much he wants. I'll try to buy the whole car to keep for parts!! Woohoo!

VX KAT
02/01/2012, 08:52 PM
Stop the press! Sue, found u that little jdm fender rearview mirror u wanted! There's a VX being sold 75km from me, and the owner took it off already! I'll see how much he wants. I'll try to buy the whole car to keep for parts!! Woohoo!

:freek::freek::freek: :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Triathlete
02/01/2012, 09:10 PM
A ladder on the VX ? Are you serious about that ?

I agree with you bart !!!

Sorry this may sound a bit loud but i just don't see why modify such vehicule as the VX like we are

talking about a jeep wrangler,cherokee,CJ or such.

You mean, does't fit YOUR VX profile.
Not everyone wants a street queen!:bwgy:

Gussie2000
02/01/2012, 09:14 PM

Quote of the Day. :)

...but the VX ain't no Rav-4 which is built as a big bodied car. Most of the offroad mods you mentioned are functional for those of us who like dirt more than pavement.

Everyone has different tastes & opinions. Make it your own or leave it stock, whatever makes you happy.

Pardon me VXorado !

As i said i didn't want to be loud,misundersood or make any of my fellow VX'ers feel bad about anything i wrote.

I know there's many of us whom go offroad and of course some mods are necesary,no critics......but just saying.......:flower:

Gussie2000
02/01/2012, 09:19 PM
http://www.pic4ever.com/images/25r30wi.gif
Oh are you misguided! :p
Tail light guards: still actively working on it.

I got the number of the fabricator "Ala5ka" mentioned, thought I'd discuss it with him.

Exploring what it would take to get tabs welded onto the stainless steel ones I got, and then get powdercoated black. Maybe fabricator above can do it.

I placed a WTB post on the planetisuzoo.com

I'm still doing some internet searching...I find a new vendor every few days...still no luck though....

and lastly, I'm thinking of putting them out to bid to anybody on the forum that can do this kind of fabrication.....

Welcome anybody else's ideas!

Hey sue !

Tail light guards ?

You've been doing some frankeinstein lab testing ? :p

Gussie2000
02/01/2012, 09:22 PM
You mean, does't fit YOUR VX profile.
Not everyone wants a street queen!:bwgy:

Neither i tri,trust me !!

Robbomaz
02/01/2012, 09:36 PM

Yes. Our Govt. is very much in the 'nanny' mold protecting us from ourselves.

We just do it anyway :smilewink

wekilled
02/01/2012, 10:28 PM
I like the ladder and had briefly thought about it. Then again I have lots of tube on my VX, so it would fit the overall look. That being said not sure if I would do it myself since I either stand on my tires to get to the roof or stand on my multi-hitch in back.

braaus
02/01/2012, 10:37 PM
People here buy wide tyres anyway and they buy those flex fender flares and that's it, I'll have to do the same. They're about 60 bucks a roll on eBay and they're long enough for all 4 fenders.

VX KAT
02/01/2012, 10:38 PM
Hey sue !

Tail light guards ?

You've been doing some frankeinstein lab testing ? :p

I've been trying, believe me Gussie, I've been trying. I'm kind of hoping that the stainless ones I got can be modified to work, then after they're all welded etc, I can loose the s.s. and get them powdercoated black.....because I can just about ASSURE you all there's NO black Rodeo/Passport/Amigo tail light guards on the planet!....at least none that anybody has for sale right now.

Only other choice is to get a set fabbed from the ground up....$$$$ I bet it will be a ton o'money.

And if I can't get or can't afford either of those options, I swear, I'm buying more 3M double stick tape and sticking those &*%$ plastic ones on....or maybe even the stainless ones! :slap: (:laugho:)

stay tuned.....

VXorado
02/01/2012, 10:50 PM
Pardon me VXorado !

As i said i didn't want to be loud,misundersood or make any of my fellow VX'ers feel bad about anything i wrote.

I know there's many of us whom go offroad and of course some mods are necesary,no critics......but just saying.......:flower:

lol I had to rebuttal since I have or am working on almost everything you listed :p... rear tire carrier, got it... front metal bumper, want it... snorkel, ordered it

I understand your argument & definitely no hard feelings. I've always wanted to get a second pristine VX & leave it completely stock. Obviously I have the opposite plan with my current VX :)

VXorado
02/01/2012, 10:55 PM
People here buy wide tyres anyway and they buy those flex fender flares and that's it, I'll have to do the same. They're about 60 bucks a roll on eBay and they're long enough for all 4 fenders.

You guys are rebels... :bgwo:

I think we have some tire-fender laws here that are widely ignored.

pbkid
02/02/2012, 08:43 AM

obviously this guy doesnt follow the rules....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6qo6dXONww&list=FLn0rcZLA6gIXy-MxwgO5Erg&index=29&feature=plpp_video

Triathlete
02/02/2012, 09:05 AM
Arizona requires lifted "trucks" to have mudflaps...Az dmv lists my VX as a "stationwagon" :D

nfpgasmask
02/02/2012, 09:34 AM
Yeah, SUVs are generally not considered "trucks" in most states. Truck usally means work truck or pick-up truck I think. Nevada, well, at least Washoe County is pretty lax about these things being a huge 4x4 town.

Bart

braaus
02/03/2012, 02:23 AM
2 things i'll do for sure this week: attach 2 lights on top of the rear spoiler (when i'm backing up at night is very hard to see) i like the ones on the roof of Isuzu F series trucks, they look like horns, they'll light up when in engage rear. While i was at my local Isuzu dealer, i asked about that chrome badge on the trucks, they told me it costs $106 :( but i found the emblem factory in China at alibaba.com and the same emblem costs $10.4!! The set of roof lights costs $4!!!! so cheap! I'm ordering these parts tonight, the site above is great to find stuff, ebay is overpriced sometimes, and i couldn't even find what i was looking for. I'll post photos when i receive them.
Here's some images:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/17121683@N00/6811186977

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/321906139/ISUZU_EMBLEM_RAD_GRILLE.html

http://jp-isuzu.en.alibaba.com/product/267124184-0/Cab_top_roof_lamp_assembly_for_ISUZU_FVR34.html

Gussie2000
02/03/2012, 07:38 AM
I've been trying, believe me Gussie, I've been trying. I'm kind of hoping that the stainless ones I got can be modified to work, then after they're all welded etc, I can loose the s.s. and get them powdercoated black.....because I can just about ASSURE you all there's NO black Rodeo/Passport/Amigo tail light guards on the planet!....at least none that anybody has for sale right now.

Only other choice is to get a set fabbed from the ground up....$$$$ I bet it will be a ton o'money.

And if I can't get or can't afford either of those options, I swear, I'm buying more 3M double stick tape and sticking those &*%$ plastic ones on....or maybe even the stainless ones! :slap: (:laugho:)

stay tuned.....

Ok i will sue !

braaus
02/11/2012, 10:47 PM
for those that saw my VX 2 weeks ago, i've been slowly cleaning it and removing all the clutter it had all over it and restoring it to it's former JDM glory :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17121683@N00/6860871471

very happy to say that some members of this community are very creative and helpful, going out of their way to help and guide others.
Cheers, Will.