PDA

View Full Version : Rear door handle

braaus
02/17/2012, 02:04 AM
My Australia license plate is too wide, i had to bend it to fit where it's supposed to, so i can't access the rear door handle anymore, i use the key to pull it open, but i'm afraid of breaking it, so: I thought about removing the oem lock and replacinf with a hot rod style handle, with the key on it, this way i can lock and unlock and open it easily just turning it not having to keep it locked all the time. I appreciate the community's input, this is just an idea for the future, but i decided to share with you guys. Will.
maybe like that:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1946-1947-Oldsmobile-locking-Trunk-handle-rat-rod-key-46-47-olds-GM-custom-sled-/280825415394?hash=item41627fc6e2&item=280825415394&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

or like that:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940s-NOS-trunk-lid-handle-keys-painted-black-oval-bezel-/330685641689?hash=item4cfe6673d9&item=330685641689&pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

Riff Raff
02/17/2012, 02:48 AM
Errrr........No; :noo: I can sympathize with your delima, but that T-Handle method would look like total crap on the back door and take away from the beautiful clean lines of the VX. I'd just live with it and open the rear door slightly ajar with the factory key. Then grab the outside right edge of the door sill with my finger tips to open the rear door the rest of the way without putting continued stress on the door key.

If not, then I'd figure out some way to mount a lateral skinny grab handle using only the top factory license plate bolt holes, so the lateral grab handle would be centered directly above the rear license plate. Perhaps some type of skinney chrome bathroom cabinet handle from a hardware store could be retrofited to bolt-up using the top license plate bolt holes as mounting points. This method would look a lot more clean and centered on the VX and not look shoddy like the lame T-Handle idea.

Just my 2-cents.

:_confused

braaus
02/17/2012, 02:58 AM
Errrr........No; :noo: I can sympathize with your delima, but that T-Handle method would look like total crap on the back door and take away from the beautiful clean lines of the VX. I'd just live with it and open the rear door slightly ajar with the factory key. Then grab the outside right edge of the door sill with my finger tips to open the rear door the rest of the way without putting continued stress on the door key.

If not, then I'd figure out some way to mount a lateral skinny grab handle using only the top factory license plate bolt holes, so the lateral grab handle would be centered directly above the rear license plate. Perhaps some type of skinney chrome bathroom cabinet handle from a hardware store could be retrofited to bolt-up using the top license plate bolt holes as mounting points. This method would look a lot more clean and centered on the VX and not look shoddy like the lame T-Handle idea.

Just my 2-cents.

:_confused

That's what i'm talking about! opinions are welcome, i still think it's handy because i could open and close the door without having to lock/unlock all the time, but yes, it would interfere on the clean lines of the VX. Let's see what other members have to say. Thank you Riff Raff!

tom4bren
02/17/2012, 04:26 AM
Install a receiver hitch - buy a SuperBumper - make a bracket to attach the license plate to the SuperBumper - mount full size spare to rear door to hide the OEM license plate recess (spare gives you sump'n to grab when opening/closing the door).

EEEEEEZZZYY!!!

braaus
02/17/2012, 04:37 AM
Install a receiver hitch - buy a SuperBumper - make a bracket to attach the license plate to the SuperBumper - mount full size spare to rear door to hide the OEM license plate recess (spare gives you sump'n to grab when opening/closing the door).

EEEEEEZZZYY!!!

Looks awesome, i would do it if i lived in USA, impossible to get these parts around here, or someone that would help me to adapt, everything here is "illegal" a no one likes to get involved.

tom4bren
02/17/2012, 05:05 AM
Is it illegal to have a copy of your license plate made to fit the OEM recess (pretty sure that's kinda what they do in England - but may be a different case since the plates stay with the vehicle forever)?

Mile High VX
02/17/2012, 05:17 AM
I would suggest installing a door popper and an electric release. Lots of good information on that here. Even if you don't do the electric release the door popper will push the door open when you turn the key...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN0374.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN0371.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN0375.JPG

Vendetta
02/17/2012, 05:46 AM
...or, just keep on keeping on.

11 years and I've never used the "handle" at all. To the point that, last summer, I noticed it and did a double-take having forgotten there was even a handle to begin with. I just turn the key and pull - gently, of course - and then use the door's edge to finish the job.

11 years.
-V

PS: I'm installing a popper anyway. LOL

atilla_the_fun
02/17/2012, 06:50 AM
Suction cup.

Scott Harness
02/17/2012, 06:54 AM
I just turn the key and pull - gently, of course

X2

VXorado
02/17/2012, 07:11 AM
...or, just keep on keeping on.

11 years and I've never used the "handle" at all. To the point that, last summer, I noticed it and did a double-take having forgotten there was even a handle to begin with. I just turn the key and pull - gently, of course - and then use the door's edge to finish the job.

11 years.
-V

PS: I'm installing a popper anyway. LOL

X2

Took me about a year to see we had a handle on the back door... so yeah, pulling the key works fine.

Braas, all the mentioned options are good (except your handle idea :p). You can also mount a big spare tire on the back door, thats what I use for a handle :smilewink.

PK
02/17/2012, 03:17 PM
Hi Will, not sure how much too big your rego plate is, but I cut about 15mm off each end of my plate to make it fit inside there perfect.
I used a dremel to make the cuts, and if you didn't know it was cut, you wouldn't see it.
I didn't cut into any of the numbers, so still legal.

PK

Ldub
02/17/2012, 03:45 PM
Took me about a year to see we had a handle on the back door... so yeah, pulling the key works fine.

Braas, all the mentioned options are good (except your handle idea :p). You can also mount a big spare tire on the back door, thats what I use for a handle :smilewink.

I've got a half key on my keyring that only works on the back door...:(

Pulling on your key works for a while, but...:slap:

Riff Raff
02/17/2012, 04:43 PM
Hi Will, not sure how much too big your rego plate is, but I cut about 15mm off each end of my plate to make it fit inside there perfect.
I used a dremel to make the cuts, and if you didn't know it was cut, you wouldn't see it.

PK

Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!! This is probably the very best solution of all. Thanx, PK!!!

:thumbup:

braaus
02/17/2012, 04:46 PM

PK

That's why i always come to this site, to "consult the oracle" hehehe! It's better this way, i'll try that. i found out that there's some room for fingers where the license plate lights are, so no big deal. Thank you :grino:

VXorado
02/17/2012, 05:06 PM
I've got a half key on my keyring that only works on the back door...:(

Pulling on your key works for a while, but...:slap:

Gently turn the key...you need to stop lifting weights & wearing gym shorts, you're becoming a meat head :yesy:...:laughing:

Ldub
02/17/2012, 05:18 PM
Gently turn the key...you need to stop lifting weights & wearing gym shorts, you're becoming a meat head :yesy:...:laughing:

Me ted...

http://ianschafer.typepad.com/.a/6a0105350cd495970b0105370ed1a3970b-pi

etlsport
02/17/2012, 06:37 PM
Be careful pulling by the edge of the door. There isn't much metal there. I noticed over the fall that my door has started to deform there very very slightly. Its almost not even noticable but looking at the outside of the door paint I can see where the door structure is, theres a line where the reflection changes all of the sudden

jeeperkate
02/17/2012, 08:38 PM
I wondered where the handle was...thanks for the post:p

Seriously, I had no idea! :yesb:

Mile High VX
02/18/2012, 06:28 AM
I wondered where the handle was...thanks for the post:p

Seriously, I had no idea! :yesb:

You'd qualify to be a judge for 4x4 of the year...:yesgray::yesy::yeso::yesb: