PDA

View Full Version : Water under inlet manifold

Paul_A
02/26/2012, 10:33 AM
Finally got the intake manifold off to do those pesky gaskets.
I found water under there! Sitting on top of the engine block.
Now it's been sitting for a good while on my drive with the manifold raised an inch or so (a good few weeks). Maybe it's condensation or rain thats trickled in there but hesitant to bolt it all down if there might be another cause. Any ideas?
:confused:

fildigger
02/26/2012, 10:38 AM
Surely rain Paul?...we have had a bit lately!.

..you havn't disturbed any coolant hoses in dismantling the Inlet manifold have you?

ps, nice to hear a UK member posting on here :bwgy:

Ldub
02/26/2012, 11:01 AM
Y'all use anti-freeze over there in the cooling system???

Does it look/smell the same as water?

I'd be more worried about water having gotten into the intake ports.

Paul_A
02/26/2012, 12:21 PM
Yeah, confident there's no water got in the inlets, I covered them with cling film when i raised the manifold specifically for that and to stop any debris getting in.
There's no antifreeze in this water and it's quite a small amount.Engine hasn't been run in 2 or 3 months so I'm thinking it's just rain water got in somehow.
All the hoses check ok, think I'll change the thermostat while I'm at ... stupidest place I ever saw to put it! Is there a gasket on the thermostat housing? I can't see one in the manual I downloaded... :confused:

Ldub
02/26/2012, 12:34 PM
All the hoses check ok, think I'll change the thermostat while I'm at ... stupidest place I ever saw to put it! Is there a gasket on the thermostat housing? I can't see one in the manual I downloaded... :confused:

That sounds good.

There is an O-ring sealing the stat housing, do yourself a favour, & get a new O-ring for the hard pipe on the back side of the housing as well, you'll be glad you did...;)

Paul_A
02/26/2012, 01:34 PM
Thanks! I'll do that! :happyface

Ldub
02/26/2012, 01:59 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=21864&highlight=thermostat

Ldub
02/26/2012, 02:33 PM
This'll give you an idear of what's where...:yesgray:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/BeFunky_thermo.jpg

yellowgizmo99
02/26/2012, 02:43 PM
when I changed the o-rings on the hardlines the rings just fell apart in my hand.

Ldub
02/26/2012, 02:57 PM
when I changed the o-rings on the hardlines the rings just fell apart in my hand.

Had about the same experience...thank the appropriate deity of your choosing for hi-temp rtv...:yesgray:

4-5 yrs, still no leaky...;)

Robbomaz
02/26/2012, 05:54 PM
Had about the same experience...thank the appropriate deity of your choosing for hi-temp rtv...:yesgray:

4-5 yrs, still no leaky...;)
They DO do one thing I really hate though.....using the rubber hose for the diameter change. That and the actual position of the heater connections (on RHD, I notice they go the other way in your pic) making access next to impossible. One of the few areas of 'WTF were they thinking' engineering on these trucks

Paul_A
02/27/2012, 02:12 AM
Thanks guys! Yep the O rings disintegrated! Phew... thanks again! :grinb:

AssyrianMe
12/21/2017, 12:59 PM
Getting the right o-ring for that stat housing pipe is tough to find. Normal ones are to thin and they eventually leak. I'm in the process of doing it again.