PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Sea Foamers

MSHardeman
03/11/2012, 08:36 PM
Got a question for those of you who have run Sea Foam through the top of the motor. I just let the VX "sip" half a bottle of Sea Foam through the PCV tube after letting the engine get up to operating temperature. I turned the VX off and let it sit for, probably twenty minutes to half an hour. When I started the VX back up I didn't get ANY smoke like they warn you about.

I think the last time I had the throttle body and EGR cleaned was over 10,000 miles ago, so I would have expected to see some smoke because I'm sure there is some carbon build up in there somewhere. Did I let the Sea Foam sit too long? Should I give it another shot, but just let it sit for the recommended five minutes?

VXorado
03/11/2012, 08:57 PM
Got a question for those of you who have run Sea Foam through the top of the motor. I just let the VX "sip" half a bottle of Sea Foam through the PCV tube after letting the engine get up to operating temperature. I turned the VX off and let it sit for, probably twenty minutes to half an hour. When I started the VX back up I didn't get ANY smoke like they warn you about.

I think the last time I had the throttle body and EGR cleaned was over 10,000 miles ago, so I would have expected to see some smoke because I'm sure there is some carbon build up in there somewhere. Did I let the Sea Foam sit too long? Should I give it another shot, but just let it sit for the recommended five minutes?

I haven't gotten any smoke since the first treatment a couple years ago. I just added seafoam last weekend, no smoke but I could smell the fume in the exhaust. I'm considering pulling the IAC & throttle body to check for build up... My thought is that there shouldn't be much build up if the seafoam is getting fed through the intake properly.

Maybe feeding the seafoam into the brake booster line or throttle body will cause more smoke? :confused:

89Vette
03/11/2012, 09:02 PM
I thought you were supposed to pour it until it stalls. Smoking on start-up would result from the amount that stalled it.

May be more true on carbed cars?

nfpgasmask
03/11/2012, 09:12 PM
I've never used the stuff that way, but I have poured half a can into the crankcase several times, drove for about 20 miles and then did an oil change. Never changed a dern thing for me. I still burn oil like no tomorrow.

Bart

Scott Larson
03/11/2012, 09:28 PM
I've used Sea Foam every which way and never had anything but good results. Smoke, sometimes yes, sometimes no, but never an issue as to damage or negative results...

MSHardeman
03/11/2012, 09:29 PM
Jon, I have had the throttle body and EGR cleaned quite a few times when I have had the oil changed so maybe they did something like the Sea Foam treatment, so maybe I won't get any smoke. I did smell the fumes in the exhaust.

Bart, I also poured half a can into the oil, drove her hard for 15-20 miles and then changed the oil. I have a feeling that this really won't do anything for my oil burning either.

89Vette, everything that I read said to let the engine "sip" half a can of Sea Foam through a vaccuum tube that feeds all of the cylinders, and to NOT let it drink enough in one gulp to stall. :_confused

Mile High VX
03/12/2012, 05:19 AM
I always use it through the brake vacuum line. Smokes like crazy! I use it twice a year this way, so about every 5.000 miles or so.

I also put it in the crank case and drive for 20-30 miles and change the oil.

I have used in the gas tank on other verhicles. If you do this you'll want to change your fuel filter soon afterwards.

jasonm621
07/02/2012, 11:01 AM
If you have ever seen the inside of your intake manifold it is kinda like a filter for oil vapors.. Very hard to describe but the best example is its like a detention pond once the pond fills up then it will spill over a dam into the intake tubes... you could probably put a full bottle of sea foam and it will just sit in the bottom of the main chamber and evaporate. That i know of there isnt any special vacuum line that will bypass that "dam" and go into all cylinders...

Dmitrikr
07/02/2012, 12:23 PM
If you have ever seen the inside of your intake manifold it is kinda like a filter for oil vapors.. Very hard to describe but the best example is its like a detention pond once the pond fills up then it will spill over a dam into the intake tubes... you could probably put a full bottle of sea foam and it will just sit in the bottom of the main chamber and evaporate. That i know of there isnt any special vacuum line that will bypass that "dam" and go into all cylinders...

Damn right!:bgwo: if some fluids stay inside plenum - you will see white smoke after hard cornering- fluid has to go somewhere.

jasonm621
07/02/2012, 01:16 PM
Damn right!:bgwo: if some fluids stay inside plenum - you will see white smoke after hard cornering- fluid has to go somewhere.
It would have to be a pretty irratic corner! Even if seafoam spilled over the "dam" it would still have to be sucked up and over in the upper manifold and then the seafoam would finally meet up with the cylinder intake on... my only conclusion is that seafoam is pretty useless in the intake unless you can somehow fine mist the seafoam into the intake. Otherwise youre better off just putting a bottle in the fuel tank...

ZeroSix
07/02/2012, 01:45 PM
In my experience, OBD 2 cars rarely smoke out. I thing the plenum design is the key. My main gain is down the fuel tank by cleaning out the lines and feed.

JHarris1385
07/02/2012, 02:49 PM
Just did this myself.

+ Full can in gas tank
+ Half can in oil
+ Half can through vacuum connected to the brake booster
+ After it stalled, sprayed Deep Creep on the throttle plate.

SMOKED LIKE CRAZY...took a video of it, you could not see the house behind it.

Mile High VX
07/02/2012, 03:19 PM
How and why do you use the Deep Creep product?

Knigh7s
07/02/2012, 04:46 PM
Just did this myself.

+ Full can in gas tank
+ Half can in oil
+ Half can through vacuum connected to the brake booster
+ After it stalled, sprayed Deep Creep on the throttle plate.

SMOKED LIKE CRAZY...took a video of it, you could not see the house behind it.

That's exactly what I did. The entire house disappeared in the smoke!

I used SeaFoam Spray (http://www.seafoamsales.com/sea-foam-spray.html) (not sure what the difference is with Deep Creep (http://www.seafoamsales.com/deep-creep.html)) to get a direct spray past the throttle valve, Stick the long straw into the throttle body past the valve put the intake hose back on, turn on car, rev to 1500-2000rpm and start spraying. turn off car and let sit. I guess this is a good way to get past the "dam" they were talking about in the earlier posts.

Ldub
07/02/2012, 05:37 PM

well DUH...:rolleyesg

Apparently, his nuts were too tight...:laughing:

WILLY
07/02/2012, 06:44 PM
well DUH...:rolleyesg

Apparently, his nuts were too tight...:laughing:

HA

blacksambo
07/02/2012, 07:58 PM
I tried "Z Max" in the oil last oil change. Seemed to reduce oil cosumption and quiet the engine down. Purely anecdotal evidence though...not scientific, or anything.

89Vette
07/02/2012, 09:12 PM
I tried "Z Max" in the oil last oil change. Seemed to reduce oil cosumption and quiet the engine down. Purely anecdotal evidence though...not scientific, or anything.

Maybe it increases oil viscosity? Does it feel a hair more sluggish at startup/revs? That's one way you could tell.

OTOH, after a couple of days, the memory of subtle details like that start to fade away........

HeckaTrebeka
11/20/2014, 02:28 PM
I found a link on how to clean the engine using seafoam. I might do this in the near future. http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/how-to-use-seafoam-to-clean-your-engine-the-right-way.html

Otwobme
11/21/2014, 09:57 AM
i dont use that stuff, never had luck with it. with that being said i use BG products and have never ran into any issues with that... i live by that product in my shop.look up bg109 and MOA you have to use both.