PDA

View Full Version : New style bumper skid plate and hood scoop

maxprime
03/16/2012, 11:28 AM
Well, I decided to make my own skid plate and hood scoop and here's a picture of them. I decided to make them accept standard 4" pilot lights to make the skid plate more modern looking and solve the driving light mounting.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n18/maxprime57/vehicross/DSCF1098.jpg

I just shot them with black primer to see how they looked and over the weekend will finish them to have ready to mold out of fiberglass since I already sold a couple.
Once these are done. I'll finish the JDM light mount and post it in a update.

Here is a photo with the driving lights just set in to see what they look like. I found these a pepboy's and the front is chrome looking when off.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n18/maxprime57/vehicross/DSCF1100.jpg

Scott Harness
03/16/2012, 12:43 PM
Looks great! might see damage off-roading.

Osteomata
03/16/2012, 01:21 PM
Awesome. what are they made of? How did you do this? How much are you selling them for?

89Vette
03/16/2012, 01:37 PM
The skid plate is GREAT! The scoop is limp and iffy.

VXorado
03/16/2012, 02:17 PM
I like the skid plate but the fog lights will drag offroad. Might be worth moving them up if possible.

JoFotoz
03/16/2012, 02:49 PM
I think the whole thing looks great...

...and will continue to look great...

...on paved roads!

jo

Vendetta
03/16/2012, 03:00 PM
I agree with pretty much everything in this thread.
1.) Awesome initiative once again. First the VX badges, now this.
2.) Putting light housings so low in a would-be skid plate is, well... yeah. Even if it were never to see anything but pavement, the look is still a bit conflicted. Mall-crawlers may not care.
3.) Hood scoop is begging to be painted in red horizontal stripes, and Cobra Commander is salivating to get his. :smilewink But I'm in the market for a scoop to add to this extra hood insert I "scooped" (har-har) of the boneyard VX. Let's rap if you're interested in whipping something up that's a bit more conventional.

All in all, I can't blame you one bit for not announcing your plans to do this or soliciting forum-wide feedback prior to having something to show. Lots of people cried wolf before, and more will in the future. So good for you for just freaking doing it. But unfortunately, this is one of those times that some others' opinions might have come in handy pre-fabrication. But hey, you've already got buyers, so what do I know?

Kudos, Max.
-V

Lizardmen3477
03/16/2012, 03:14 PM
Hey man sweet stuff I like that Skid plate and your right in Pa let me know when ya got one ready Ill have to make a road trip.

maxprime
03/16/2012, 03:20 PM
As for the lights height, They are as high as the can be place without having two problems.
1. front licence plate, which I raised the plate mounting with that curved groove so it had 6.5 in of mounting space
2. The lights are in the top groove of the bumper cover to go higher you would have to cut holes in the bumper cover to make them fit, which I didn't want to do just incase I ever removed it.
But, the bottom of the lights are only 1/2" lower than the original bumper cover.
As for the bumper skid plate as any of the ones that I have seen including these are only cosmetic.

Scott Harness
03/16/2012, 03:30 PM
You might try something with the two horizontal spaces.Lots of people have put lights in there.It really doesn't effect the cooling.Maybe in the most extreme heat

tysamigo
03/16/2012, 03:45 PM
I like the look of the skid plate.

What will the finished product be made of?

How much for a skidplate when ready?

GOOD WORK!!

Bulldoggie
03/16/2012, 03:46 PM
Looks great. Fog lights would be better than driving lamps that low.
They might get smacked around a bit in the brush. but if it was easily removable? you don't go banging around the bush in the fog?

maxprime
03/16/2012, 03:55 PM
You could mount lights in there also. But, I'm making the JDM style light bar that will mount above the skid plate to mount thin mount 5.5" lights
I also am taking out my parking lights and installing peterson 2"or maybe the 2.5 tunnel lights since the are chrome looking when off and will match the driving lights.
Here is what they look like.
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n18/maxprime57/vehicross/amber.jpg
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n18/maxprime57/vehicross/chrome.jpg
I also am replacing the rear reflectors with the set of red ones and thinking about the side red ovals with these
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n18/maxprime57/vehicross/redside.jpg

maxprime
03/16/2012, 04:00 PM
As far as material make up. Fiberglass will be my first choice.I thought about carbon fiber or kevlar. Only problem with those two materials is having to vacuum the resin into the fiber which i've done before. Just don't know if it is worth the trouble.

Just for ****z and giggles, I went and measured the bottom of the light housing and it has 12" of ground clearance. My VX is stock height other than 31 inch tires.

pointup
03/18/2012, 06:11 PM
I love the skid plate and lights.....let me know when they are in production I will certainly purchase one

tomdietrying
03/18/2012, 06:51 PM
We certainly have a lot of people with talent. Nice job!
Peace.
Tom

gergmon
03/22/2012, 09:42 PM
Count me in for one too, once in production!
Looks amazing!!

LittleBeast
03/22/2012, 10:42 PM
Not meaning to knock on your mod, but the purpose of a skid plate is to protect whatever is underneath it from getting all scratched up from rubbing anything you are driving over, rocks, curb, speed bump, and pretty much anything while offroading. I am glad you are happy with your mod but I am totally confused as to why anyone else wants one, this just looks totally out of place on a vehicle meant for both on pavement and off pavement use. If you are just planning on making this a road only grocery getter than more power to you, but this really makes the VX look more like those other non-offroad cross over vehicles built on car chasis or unibody chasis. No offense intended, it is just out of place on an offroad/onroad vehicle and looks more like a fast and the furious modification.

Nice quality work though and I hope you are happy with the results, but I would suggest never putting any lights that are expensive down there as the first time you decide to actually use the off road capability of the VX you can say goodbye to those lights. There is a reason off road vehicles many times have light guards even on lights mounted very high up. Sorry this just looks totally out of place to me. And I am not a fan of hood scoops that are just for looks. Are you going to make the hood scoop functional at all?

maxprime
03/23/2012, 08:55 AM
As far as the skid plate. I have stated it is purely for cosmetic purposes. But, I disagree that it looks like a need for speed mod.
I like the one Ron made and think that the skid plate makes the Vx look more finished. But, I wanted the addition of driving lights and that is why I made mine like this.

The Vx is a collector's vehicle and I wouldn't ruin mine by beating it off road and besides the Vx is pretty limited to hard off roading due to the lack of a rugged suspension,tranny,engine,axles and the list goes on and on. Yes ,you can off-road in it .But, over the longterm it will have a heavy cost on the vehicle. But, that we all know. If I was interested in doing that I'd invest in a Jeep or Bronco or something that has lots of off-road parts available for it.

Anyhow, my rear lights will be here today and just finishing gel coating the skid plate. I'll be molding the plates soon.

maxprime
03/23/2012, 10:53 AM
Ups dropped my rear 2" lights off and I hooked one up to 12v to take a picture. Nice thing is they are hard wired and sealed.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n18/maxprime57/vehicross/DSCF1106.jpg

maxprime
03/23/2012, 04:05 PM
Ok,since I got my rear lights and had time between coats of tooling gel. I decided to smoke my tail lights and install my new lights.

Here's the pics.

Smoked tail

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n18/maxprime57/vehicross/DSCF1109.jpg

New lights off

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n18/maxprime57/vehicross/DSCF1108.jpg
Lights on

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n18/maxprime57/vehicross/DSCF1116.jpg

workmeistr
03/25/2012, 06:47 AM
Great work. I'd like to do the 2" tailight mod, would you list where you got them and the part number, please? I am concerned, though, does this leave any reflectors out back; are there any reflectors in the tailights? For that matter, are there any reflectors in the front? The only ones I can think of are the two red in the rear and the front side turn signals have a little reflective spot.

I for one, am very interested in your skid plate (sic). I drive 30 min. early in the morning and I often drive through thick fog. I would love to be able tastefully mount fog lights down low where they are most effective. Keep up the good work and keep us posted, thanks.

On another point, if I ever rear ended someone with smoked tailights I would make it an issue in my defense. I have tinted my side lights, but opted not to tint rears for safety reasons, and I just don't want to give anyone an excuse after hitting me. I did change my amber turns to red, thinking this was enough of a tailight mod. I would like to do spider light bulbs, though they are expensive.

maxprime
03/25/2012, 12:34 PM
I purchased the 2" red tunnel lights from towmart, here's the link:
http://www.towmart.com/2-inch-led-tunnel-light
I used 2" trucklite rubber grommets that I had on stock. But, you can get them at Napa.
I wanted the lights to be flush with the edge of the grommet so I had to cut out the little 1/4" nubs to let the light slide to the very bottom of the grommet. With the nubs intact it seated the light a 1/4" passed the face.
Then I used a 2.25" hole saw from lowes to cut the hole in the bumper cover after I removed the original reflectors.
I have another Vx to do this mod to and I'll a detailed "how to".
As far as reflectors in the front, there is only the round parking light which i'm replacing them with the 2.5" ambers.

Update on the skid plate.
I have two molds that will be finished tomarrow and will be ready to make the plates hopefully later this week "I have to goto the VA hospital thursday" if not, next week for sure.
The plates were made to accept "ONLY" 4" pilot lights and here's a link to see the different types they make and part numbers.
http://www.pilotautomotive.com/pdfs/Pilot_performance_lighting1.pdf
The ones I have are NV-361W. They have a chrome look when off and match the tunnel lights I installed.

So, now the price.
The kit will include the fiberglass skid plate that will be primed and ready to paint ,all stainless steel mounting hardware and your choice of lights installed with cables,relay and switch for $250.00.

If anyone is interested, PM and we can take it from there.

LittleBeast
03/25/2012, 03:28 PM
I saw many people have problems with getting read ended with smoked tail lights on the RX-8 club when I had mine. The guy I ended up selling my RX-8 to was rear ended by a semi because he was stopped and turning and his smoked taillights prevented the driver behind him from reacting correctly. He did have major problems when insurance found out he had smoked his brake lights, hiscar that he spent tons of money modifying was totaled and he was in the hospital for a while. Smoking the brake lights is definitely illegal and can get you a ticket anytime you are driving or pulled over. Almost a guaranteed additional citation if pulled over for speeding as well. A car with smoked brake lights also should not pass inspection, good luck with that. I for one would never chance my or my passengers safety to look cool, but once again this is a fast and the furious mod in my opinion, but at least he added 2" accessory lights below which should help but I can't tell if they are hooked up to the driving lights or the brake lights because the stock brake lights look much dimmer now. And now that the taillights are smoked the 2" lights don't match the color of the stock brake lights. But to each there own.

maxprime
03/25/2012, 04:09 PM
littlebeast
As for the smoked tail light. If you look carefully. I only smoked between where the lights don't shine and not where the light emits out of the tail light, that is the reason if you look you can see the black seperation on the lens and even on the outer so-called reflective part it is not smoked. The only part that is smoked is the black patch.
As for the need for speed remark, running big wheels with lower profile tires is part of that whole scene. As for me. i'm running 17's with 31" tires. Mine is far from looking like a need for speed car. But, like you say. to each his own.

Update:
I knew you were incorrect about tinting tail lights. But ,I wanted the exact figures before I posted in detail. Since I had to goto the shop and do some powder coating I decided to check my DOT books.

In Pa, you are allowed to tint your tail lights as long as they meet these requirements.

Daytime. The brake light must be visible at 150'
Daytime. No requirement on parking light
Night time. The brake light must be visible at 500'
Night time. The parking light must be visible at 300'
So, they way I did it, it hasn't changed it from factory. But, if I wanted to tint all of the light I could but need to keep with the above requirements.

Vendetta
03/25/2012, 07:46 PM
As for the smoked tail light. If you look carefully. I only smoked between where the lights don't shine and not where the light emits out of the tail light, that is the reason if you look you can see the black seperation on the lens and even on the outer so-called reflective part it is not smoked. The only part that is smoked is the black patch.

Nicely done. What did you use to smoke them?
-V

maxprime
03/25/2012, 08:20 PM
Nicely done. What did you use to smoke them?
-V
Well, I'll do one better. I'll tell you how exactly I did it.
I started by wet sanding with a grey 3m scuff pad,400 grit ,2000 grit sand paper in that order.When the tail light was dry. I cleaned it with wax & grease remover and wiped it with a tact rag.

Then,I masked off the turn signal,brake, reverse light and the outer reflective ring only leaving the non reflective part exsposed.

Then, I gave it 5 smooth coats of tinted black clear or you could use nightshades and let it dry.
After removing the masking tape. I wet sanded the tinted clear with 400 grit,1500 grit and 2000 grit. I sanded it till there were no high spots and was totally glossless
When that was all dry I cleaned the tail light with wax & grease remover and used a tact rag.
I then sprayed 3 smooth coats of clear and let dry.
Then, I wet sanded from 1500 grit, 2000 grit and buffed with a 3" wool pad and 3m buffing compond to a high gloss.
To finish it off, I hit it with a coat of liquid glass polish.

VXorado
03/25/2012, 10:35 PM
The lights look great. I'm tempted to do this myself over the summer to match my front smoked markers.

I really like the fact that the you still have 100% light output. :thumbup:

Cris
03/26/2012, 08:20 AM
I love the skid plate the lites are in just the rite place. I've had mine since new in early 2000 one owner me never been off road, would work out great!

workmeistr
03/26/2012, 09:36 AM
I didn't mean to make too much about the smokes. I think they look great, I was just making a point that there is an aspect of vulnerability even if 100% of lumens could be proven. The right LED's through smoked should be brighter than incandescent through non-smoked, and the instant-in of the LEDs should further enhance others' reaction time, but...yer still smoked and legally vulnerable, IMHO.

On another note, I'd love to see pictures of your "Go Mango Orange" AMC SX/4; could you post in the for-the-life-of-me-I-can't-find-now "What else do your drive Thread," if you can find it?

maxprime
03/26/2012, 09:37 AM
Well, thanks guys.
On a side note.
5 months ago, I attemped to contact the asian Vx'ers about the 2 mode rear lights and plates and never heard from them. Now, all of a sudden. They emailed me wanting to buy a dozen plates,lol.

Workmeistr, No worries.
With anything, If you do anything to your vehicle,It's best to check your local and federal laws. As for the lights, I knew I was legal in Pa for tinting them. Just wanted to have the exact requirements before I posted. Pa has some strict laws on somethings and not on others. Like window tint , the law states the front door glass has to allow 75% light through the tint "aka no tint allowed" and for the other windows no requirement on them.You can black them out aslong as you have side mirrors,lol.
I hunt down some pic's of the SX/4. I stripped it out totally now and am making it modern styled. I do this for a living plus build custom show computers for Nvidia and other company's for exhibits ,movie premiers and such.
Here's one I did for Nvidia and hasbro:
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n18/maxprime57/OptimusPrime1.jpg

Vendetta
03/26/2012, 09:56 AM
On another note, I'd love to see pictures of your "Go Mango Orange" AMC SX/4; could you post in the for-the-life-of-me-I-can't-find-now "What else do your drive Thread," if you can find it?

I believe this is the thread (http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=1842) in question.

Max, thanks for the PM. We'll be in touch.

-V

vt_maverick
03/27/2012, 07:19 AM
Well, thanks guys.
On a side note.
5 months ago, I attemped to contact the asian Vx'ers about the 2 mode rear lights and plates and never heard from them. Now, all of a sudden. They emailed me wanting to buy a dozen plates,lol.

I suggest you tread carefully on selling your stuff to those guys, lest you repeat history:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=251955&postcount=14

I'm not sure what those guys have ever supplied us, though they have ready access to a ton of JDM accessories to make molds. Personally I wouldn't bother with them, I imagine you'll probably have your hands more than full from US buyers.

maxprime
03/27/2012, 08:03 AM
I suggest you tread carefully on selling your stuff to those guys, lest you repeat history:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=251955&postcount=14

I'm not sure what those guys have ever supplied us, though they have ready access to a ton of JDM accessories to make molds. Personally I wouldn't bother with them, I imagine you'll probably have your hands more than full from US buyers.

vt_maverick,

Your right. I just thought it was funny they contacted me after 5 months. So, I was planning to do the same in my reply to them. :yesy:
I don't have a interest on selling to them and as far as what i'm making i'm just making what I personally want for my Vx's and if someone wants something i'll make it for them.
Once I get these skid plates out the door ,i'm going to finish off the jdm style light mount. I needed to do both so they fit properly if mounted together.

LittleBeast
03/31/2012, 05:16 PM
Max, just to be clear, your craftsmanship look top of the line, and that custom computer is awesome! Sorry I assumed your entire brakelight housing was tinted, because honestly in the pictures that is what it looks like. The laws here in TX are far more strict I think. Here are the TX rules:

(d) A taillamp shall emit a red light plainly visible at a
distance of 1,000 feet from the rear of the vehicle.
(1) visible in normal sunlight at a distance of at
least 300 feet from the rear of the vehicle; and
(2) displayed when the vehicle service brake is
applied.

But I think the reflector one is the one that the LED brake light mod breaks, and I do not think I am compliant on this one:

§ 547.325. REFLECTORS REQUIRED. (a) Except as
provided by Subchapter F, a motor vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, or
pole trailer shall be equipped with at least two red reflectors on
the rear of the vehicle. A red reflector may be included as a part
of a taillamp
(b) A reflector shall be:
(1) mounted at a height from 15 to 60 inches; and
(2) visible at night at all distances:
(A) from 100 to 600 feet when directly in front of
lawful lower beams of headlamps; or
(B) from 100 to 350 feet when directly in front of
lawful upper beams of headlamps if the vehicle was manufactured or
assembled before January 1, 1972.

But once again I am glad you (and it seems like many others) are happy with the front skid and lights, they certainly look high quality, but I just hope your lights don't break due to "skidding" on something ;-)

Have you considered making a design with no lights?

maxprime
04/07/2012, 09:50 AM
Update, on the progress.
I got the molds finished and even had time to do one for myself :grino:
I also received my 2.5" amber tunnel lights sooner than expected and installed both the skid plate and lights.
Finally getting closer on being ready to strip it all down and refinish the cladding and do the paint .
Here are some new pictures:

Parking lights on/no flash
http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n18/maxprime57/vehicross/DSCF1125.jpg

Parking lights on/w flash

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n18/maxprime57/vehicross/DSCF1127.jpg

Daytime/lights off

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n18/maxprime57/vehicross/DSCF1133.jpg
Well, that's all till after the holiday.
Have a Happy Easter.

Scott Harness
04/07/2012, 10:22 AM
I really like it.I would have to take it off every time I went off-roading though:(

tysamigo
04/07/2012, 02:23 PM
I LOVE IT!

Hey, did you have a chance to see if the color of those can be changed?

LOOKS GREAT!!

maxprime
04/07/2012, 05:19 PM
I LOVE IT!

Hey, did you have a chance to see if the color of those can be changed?

LOOKS GREAT!!
I looked at them and both are colored leds on a ring sealed in the housing.
I wouldn't want to say it couldn't be done. I think if you would take the time and separated the housing you could install any color of the strip led light to get the same effect. But, it would be just trial and error method of converting it.

tysamigo
04/07/2012, 08:31 PM
I looked at them and both are colored leds on a ring sealed in the housing.
I wouldn't want to say it couldn't be done. I think if you would take the time and separated the housing you could install any color of the strip led light to get the same effect. But, it would be just trial and error method of converting it.

OK, cool thanks. I ordered 2 for the rear cladding in RED. I'll look at them to see if it's something I want to fool with. But I think these in a deep blue would be awesome on my proton

:bgwb:

jn
04/09/2012, 05:58 PM
I love the plate you designed. Are you or have you produced any additional for sale?

JoFotoz
04/09/2012, 06:07 PM
If you read the last few lines of post 23 on this thread...

I love the plate you designed. Are you or have you produced any additional for sale?

...I do believe you'll find your answer.

Jo

bcb9112001
04/10/2012, 06:13 PM
are you going into business, makeing skid plates, how about the rear?

Iam interested in front and rear skid plates if reasonably priced??

write back bcb9112001@hotmail.com thanks

maxprime
04/18/2012, 06:26 AM
Update:
Today I will finish the 5 skid plates for members and they will be shipped fri.
I should have pictures up for the JDM light mount this weekend, now that I will have the plates done I can finish it up.
Also, the guys from Japan have emailed several times now and want 15 of them, hehe. They have told me that the story about them is not true and they wouldn't copy my plates. Funny, I never asked anything about that. lol. "they sound fishy to me" :yeso:

I decided to post the change on the pricing of the skid plate. While I made the first 6 for members. I was asked If they could supply the lights? I told them yes and made the price $200.00 and I supplied the SS hardware and primed it for paint.
That's all for now.

pueblavx
04/23/2012, 03:35 PM
I want that skid plate...i live near san ysidro, san diego california
let me know if u have one of these front and back skid plates aluminium
Thanks
fernandopuebla7@hotmail.com

pueblavx
04/29/2012, 04:53 PM
that skid plate looks so nice...i want front and back tooo.
how much for the pair....san ysidro 92173....

molivares
04/30/2012, 08:41 AM
Yes I'd like front and rear also sent you an email ... I might order 2 sets if i can afford it..please let me know.