PDA

View Full Version : Name these leaks.....please

JAMAS
03/18/2012, 05:27 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMAG0381.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=22166)http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMAG0379.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=22164)

I think I have a couple gaskets that have gone bad. Not sure what they are,but the really odd part is, some how one of the fluid leaks managed to get onto the outside of my drivers side rim. If this makes any sense, it's the fluid that smells awful.

Here is the rim after I wiped it.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMAG0378.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=22163)

Triathlete
03/18/2012, 05:50 PM
Rear wheel? Axle seal.

JAMAS
03/18/2012, 06:49 PM
Those are pictures taken from the front. The leak is on or around the front axle

Triathlete
03/18/2012, 07:06 PM
If it was the front rim...brake fluid?

Triathlete
03/18/2012, 07:08 PM
The top pictures could be an axle seal, the diff leaking of maybe tranny fluid.

pbkid
03/18/2012, 07:10 PM
yup, if it smells terrible its axle fluid, rear main seal?

JAMAS
03/18/2012, 07:50 PM
Is the rear main seal located in the front portion of the VX?

There isn't a puddle under the VX yet, should I leave the VX grounded,or get it fixed sometime this week and keep driving it?

This was definitely the last thing I needed today.

The axel fluid on the from rim is still boggling my mind. It was only on the outside.how the heck did it get there?

Ldub
03/18/2012, 08:32 PM
Is the rear main seal located in the front portion of the VX?

There isn't a puddle under the VX yet, should I leave the VX grounded,or get it fixed sometime this week and keep driving it?

This was definitely the last thing I needed today.

The axel fluid on the from rim is still boggling my mind. It was only on the outside.how the heck did it get there?

Front wheel?...

Smells bad?...

Torn CV boot might be it...:_thinking

VXorado
03/18/2012, 08:39 PM
I hate the way ATF smells and it's used in the power steering pump. I had a power steering leak that would drip down into the wheel well... possible it could make it to the rim by running down the suspension. The power steering system is on the driver side and could also be dripping on the axle.

My 2 cents.

etlsport
03/18/2012, 09:35 PM
The 2nd photo looks like a oil pan gasket

JAMAS
03/19/2012, 06:33 AM
Front wheel?...

Smells bad?...

Torn CV boot might be it...:_thinking

The boot didnt look torn, and there was no grease anywhere....I hope its not that. I'm not lifted or anything

the fluid on the outside of the rim was very liquidy and only on the outside. It was really really wierd. Almost like somebody spilled a cup of somthing while standing next to my VX.

JAMAS
03/19/2012, 06:40 AM
I'll check the steering fluid to see if its leaking.

I definitely have the gasket broken on whatever is pictured in the first picture.

If you look in the first picture you can actually see part of the broken gasket hanging down. I just dont know what that part is called to tell the mechanic.

so I now know that I have an oil pan gasket that needs to be replaced. And something transmission or axle related. And some really really really wierd ghost drips on the outside of the rim. It was definitely the same fowl smelling stuff that was leaking from the first picture with the axel/transmission part.

Triathlete
03/19/2012, 07:43 AM
I meant oil pan not tranny in my post above (tranny is further back.
As far as your wheel...are you sure a dog or other animal didn't do its business on it? :)

JAMAS
03/19/2012, 07:53 AM
As far as your wheel...are you sure a dog or other animal didn't do its business on it? :)

Ha! No, I dont think so, but that would make a TON of sense. It smelled awful and it was a little more syrupy than I would assume an animals pee should be.

If that was the case....

A.) I just stuck my finger in animal pee and smelled it. (check that off my bucket list)

2.) That would be a pretty wierd coincidence that I also had other undercarriage leaking that I only noticed because of the investigation I did after see the fluid on my rim.

yellowgizmo99
03/19/2012, 09:20 AM
Ha! No, I dont think so, but that would make a TON of sense. It smelled awful and it was a little more syrupy than I would assume an animals pee should be.

If that was the case....

A.) I just stuck my finger in animal pee and smelled it. (check that off my bucket list)
2.) That would be a pretty wierd coincidence that I also had other undercarriage leaking that I only noticed because of the investigation I did after see the fluid on my rim.

why would this be on your bucket list?:bwgy:

JAMAS
03/19/2012, 09:26 AM

Dont judge me.:p

circmand
03/19/2012, 09:28 AM

It's not on yours?

pbkid
03/19/2012, 10:15 AM
jamas-
there are main seals in both axles, its what seals between the pumpkin and the gearing housing. Not difficult to replace, and just keep an eye on your diff fluid and your fine to drive it (if its the seal on the axle)....

JAMAS
03/19/2012, 10:21 AM
jamas-
there are main seals in both axles, its what seals between the pumpkin and the gearing housing. Not difficult to replace, and just keep an eye on your diff fluid and your fine to drive it (if its the seal on the axle)....

Thanks alot for that. Makes me feel better about driving it 30 miles to the isuzu shop tonight. Sure hope the price tag stays relatively low for the repair. I would do it myself, but I am not that confident with my mechanical abilities.

pbkid
03/19/2012, 10:25 AM
Thanks alot for that. Makes me feel better about driving it 30 miles to the isuzu shop tonight. Sure hope the price tag stays relatively low for the repair. I would do it myself, but I am not that confident with my mechanical abilities.

if its the rear main seal (the front axle has multiple seals, and they call that one the rear main), then its only about 10 bolts i think ;) then they put the new seal in, and bolt it back into place.

any axle should should be able to take care of it for ya. just check your fluid before you drive it and make sure you havent lost too much.

VXorado
03/19/2012, 10:31 AM
jamas-

I had a leaky axle seal and it only dripped down from the diff bracket. I don't know how it would get on top of the axle... would have to be a really bad leak to spray upward... then again it's not dripping on the ground... this is confusing :confused:.

VXorado
03/19/2012, 10:32 AM
looking at it again... maybe the axle breather is suspect.

JAMAS
03/19/2012, 10:43 AM
looking at it again... maybe the axle breather is suspect.

is that a pricey repair?

VXorado
03/19/2012, 11:08 AM
No, its the tube coming from the top of the axle. Maybe the diff is too full and pressurizing out of the breather. Just looking at the pictures, the tube is covered in oily dirt.

nfpgasmask
03/19/2012, 11:11 AM
This looks like a typical axle seal leak to me. Out of all the fluids that come out of our vehicles, I would say axle oil smells the worst, followed by ATF. ATF is easy to spot, because it should have a reddish brown tinge (unless it is badly burnt) and it would be coming from under the middle of your VX.

Axle leaks are pretty easy to spot too, because you will have staining and a drip that accumulates around the area where your axle goes into your differential. To fix these leaks, you will need to drop the front axle and replace the seals on the inside. I did mine last Sept.

Bart

JAMAS
03/19/2012, 12:35 PM
To fix these leaks, you will need to drop the front axle and replace the seals on the inside. I did mine last Sept.
Bart

that sounds expensive.

nfpgasmask
03/19/2012, 02:08 PM
that sounds expensive.

Actually, its not. It cost me a couple jugs of diff fluid, the seals which are cheap, and I also did my CV boots, wheel bearing seals, and knuckle seals at the same time.

Look here:

http://vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=21040&highlight=front+axle+maintenance

Of course, I did it myself, so it only cost me for parts and fluid. If you have a shop do it, it will probably cost a few hundo. Its more of a pain in the seat than it is expensive.

Bart

JAMAS
03/20/2012, 05:45 AM
After a full once over.....the winner is....

Lower oil pan
Pinion seal
dog pee

tom4bren
03/20/2012, 08:23 AM
You said that the fluid on the outside of your rim that you stuck your finger in smelled bad. What did it smell like? Was it a very strong petroleum smell?

If so, I'm assuming that it's from the front differential but I don't know how it would get on the outside of the rim without getting all over the inside as well.

None of the other fluids mentioned have that strong of a smell (power steering, brake fluid, bearing grease (either front bearings or CVs)).

If I were you, I would do the following in this order:

Check fluid level in front pumpkin

Jack up vehicle (wheel with suspect leak) & shake wheel top to bottom to see if bearing is shot.

Check CVs again but not just for split boots, also check to see if you can determine if grease is getting out past the bands at each end of each boot.

Check other fluids (brake, power steering) to see if level is low or if the smell is similar.

JAMAS
03/20/2012, 08:36 AM
The VX is currently at a trusted Isuzu shop and they have given it a complete once over and found no leaks in boots or anything else around any of my wheels.

They did confirm that the pinion seal was bad and the lower oil pan seal was bad.

honestly, I am really thinking it might have been coincidence and it was a stray dog that came over and peed on my rim. Thats the only explanation that makes sense for this "magic bullet" dilema

nfpgasmask
03/20/2012, 08:39 AM
Well, I think you have to drop the front axle to change the oil pan gasket anyhow, so it sounds like you will be all fixed up when you get it back.

Bart