PDA

View Full Version : So It's begun... 5.3 swap coming soon!

gstguy97
03/27/2012, 06:20 AM
I know there's been a few people who have done v8 swaps on here and never really taken any pictures or done any write up's about it but that is about to change. I pick up my 5.3 with trans on Friday and will be taking pictures and try to write as much of a detailed write up as possible on the progress and fabrication. The swap probably won't be complete for a couple months but I figure a nice write up would be good for the VX community. Also if anyone needs a good stock motor and transmission I will have one for sale soon :bwgy:

Also: I'm still debating on leaving the 5.3 stock; Doing a head/cam package or boosting the motor.. any debate on this would be appreciated as I'm not sure what I want to do. Leaning towards boosting it though :)

gstguy97
03/27/2012, 06:25 AM
One other thing, I've always been a big performance guy, does anyone know if theres any known fastest VX in the world? I think it'd be fun to have the fastest VX in the world :)

VXorado
03/27/2012, 10:47 AM
Great Idea. I'm interested in the how easy...or hard it is to swap the 5.3L.

Right now I would go with a 3.5L if I needed a new engine replacement but it would be nice to see the write-up for another option.

Triathlete
03/27/2012, 01:50 PM
Which tranny/tcase are you going to run behind it?

gstguy97
03/27/2012, 03:41 PM
Transmission will be the 4l60e... Transfer case I'm not 100% sure as of yet, but it looks like I'm leaning towards the Dana 300.. I really need to do some more research cause of the VSS issues that some have, it kinda sucks going into something like this almost blind since nobody has really done it or atleast done it and a write up on it.

Triathlete
03/27/2012, 04:33 PM
A 3 speed tcase would be sweet...but they are a little pricey!

Riff Raff
03/28/2012, 06:34 AM
Wow, a 5.3L sounds cool. Plus, you could just flip-flop the OEM side 3.5 emblems around to read 5.3 instead. Brilliant!!!

:bgwb:

gstguy97
03/28/2012, 07:54 AM
Wow, a 5.3L sounds cool. Plus, you could just flip-flop the OEM side 3.5 emblems around to read 5.3 instead. Brilliant!!!

haha.. I like it!

And on the t-case note.. the more I think the more I wonder what to do.. I'm trying to do this on a budget.. I came across a killer deal on the motor/trans/ecu.. Right now depending what I do with the t-case it might be the most expensive cost of the build. Once I start tearing everything apart it will all make a little more sense to me just need to start getting it all pulled apart.

gstguy97
03/31/2012, 11:05 PM
Picked up the engine and transmission.. pretty happy with the condition of everything at this point with the wiring harness and ecu all being in good shape! :bwgy:
http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1483/7054243/16775621/401894701.jpg

89Vette
04/01/2012, 12:24 PM
That DOES look in good condition. Any idea about the mileage? Who's the manufacturer???

Mileage goes a long way to determining the viability of head/cam or boost (w/o complete rebuild).

H3_VX
04/01/2012, 03:50 PM
Is that a vortec 5.3 from a Colorado/Canyon/H3?

gstguy97
04/01/2012, 05:46 PM
Is that a vortec 5.3 from a Colorado/Canyon/H3?

its a vortec 5.3 out of a 4x4 silverado.. Mileage is only 82k, the truck was totaled but immaculate if that makes any sense, you could tell it was a well taken care of truck before it was in a wreck, looks like the reason the truck was totaled is due to the wreck causing the fire department to cut the people out of the truck. If all goes well and I dont completely bust my budget, come tax season next year the truck will definitely be boosted.

TheGanzman
04/02/2012, 04:22 AM
I don't mean to bust your balloon, but if you are "doing this on a budget", you're ALREADY f*cked! I've built/restored 23 vehicles from the ground up - there is NO SUCH THING as doing this on a budget! Get out your calculator, figure up with the GREATEST "due diligence" that you possibly can how much time and money it's gonna take, right down to the LAST nut & bolt - then DOUBLE both #'s; THEN you'll be "close"! A ridiculously simple formula that I've been using for 40 years now, which has proven itself out over the test of time! Oh, and don't forget to factor in "the pioneer factor" too; and you know what they say about pioneers, doncha? "Pioneers are the ones with the arrows in their BACKS!":bwgy:

I don't mean to rain on your parade; in fact, I hope to someday introduce a V8 into my own VX. But when that day COMES, I also expect to be spending a HUGE pile of $ to "get it right"; which means "Chip Foose Quality". Take it from the old guy - don't back off the FIRST bolt on that VX until you're ready to make the big commitment(s) of time & money; otherwise, you'll just have a pile of parts over in the corner five years from now...

gstguy97
04/02/2012, 07:21 AM
I don't mean to bust your balloon, but if you are "doing this on a budget", you're ALREADY f*cked! I've built/restored 23 vehicles from the ground up - there is NO SUCH THING as doing this on a budget! Get out your calculator, figure up with the GREATEST "due diligence" that you possibly can how much time and money it's gonna take, right down to the LAST nut & bolt - then DOUBLE both #'s; THEN you'll be "close"! A ridiculously simple formula that I've been using for 40 years now, which has proven itself out over the test of time! Oh, and don't forget to factor in "the pioneer factor" too; and you know what they say about pioneers, doncha? "Pioneers are the ones with the arrows in their BACKS!":bwgy:

I don't mean to rain on your parade; in fact, I hope to someday introduce a V8 into my own VX. But when that day COMES, I also expect to be spending a HUGE pile of $ to "get it right"; which means "Chip Foose Quality". Take it from the old guy - don't back off the FIRST bolt on that VX until you're ready to make the big commitment(s) of time & money; otherwise, you'll just have a pile of parts over in the corner five years from now...

budg·et? ?/?b?d??t/ Show Spelled [buhj-it] Show IPA noun, adjective, verb, -et·ed, -et·ing.
noun
1. an estimate, often itemized, of expected income and expense for a given period in the future.

I'm not trying to be cocky or an *** by any means but I've done multiple motor swaps in different cars from fbodys, lexus', DSM's, mustangs, etc... the list goes on. Also, aside from labor hours I don't know what you think is going to be so expensive about this swap. I'm doing all the welding/fabrication myself, I already own the motor/trans/ecu. The most expensive part of this setup looks to be the differential setup. Mocking everything up is going to be the hard part and its simply labor extensive.

Also if you wanna talk about budget builds, they can be done easily if you know what you're doing. I built a 91 Talon TSI that ran low 11's for less than 5k including the cost of the car.

gstguy97
04/02/2012, 07:24 AM
Also, I will be keeping a parts list with prices for all parts needed to do this swap to show you my budget ;)

gstguy97
04/05/2012, 05:30 PM
Small update for any who care, project is currently on hold as my brothers turbo IS300 decided to throw a rod and I had to lend him my DD while he's getting a new block... hopefully we'll have that car back together next weekend so I can pull the motor and start fabbing up some mounts for the 5.3, Also interesting fact about the 5.3 that I just found out today at the engine shop. Some of the 5.3's with a certain casting of the heads leak a small amount of coolant into the block. Most people think its a head gasket leak but certainly this plagues many of the 5.3's so I'll be checking the heads for the casting and see if mine are plagued, hopefully not!

kehecross
04/05/2012, 06:10 PM
Can say I never heard about the casting leaking. But the intake gaskets on just about all vortechs (3.1, 3.8, 4.8, 5.3, 5.7,liters) have had the problem of leaking coolant into the block and externally. From the one's I have saw it was always around the stud in the left rear of the intake.(driver side) but not limited to that area. Always a good ideal to change them out as long as you got the motor out. The 5.7 in my truck and my friends truck both went between 100,000 and 110,000 miles. The 3.8 in my nephews Pontiac went at 90,000 miles. I know of a few more too all right around 100,000 miles

gstguy97
04/16/2012, 07:07 PM
Just a small update, still waiting to get my Daily back so I can yank this motor/trans out... Picking up a Dana 300 transfer case and ordering an adapter kit for the 4l60e to mate to it... everything else should be pretty much a fabrication job. Hope to get this running before summer or early summer. Will definitely be losing the T.O.D. but I don't think the tcase would actually be able to handle the power even if mated up to the trans.

Robbomaz
04/17/2012, 08:04 PM
I'll be watching this with some interest!

pbkid
04/17/2012, 08:23 PM
good luck, cant wait to se what happens!

gstguy97
04/17/2012, 09:11 PM
Thanks for the interest.. once I get all the parts and actually start doing work I will start a build thread. If anyone knows of anyone needing a stock motor/trans/tcase please let me know. Selling this stuff will expedite the process :)

VXorado
04/20/2012, 09:04 AM
Will you be able to keep the a/c with this swap? I know others in the past have had issues finding a place to fit it.

gstguy97
04/22/2012, 06:14 PM
Will you be able to keep the a/c with this swap? I know others in the past have had issues finding a place to fit it.

I don't think I will be able to, if there is any room for it I'll be amazed.

Gussie2000
04/23/2012, 10:19 PM
So which year is the silverado you bought this engine from ?

According to wikipedia GM's 5.3L build back in 1999 was rated @ 270HP and 315lb of torque.

Then in 2000 GM upgrade the engine to make it kick out 285hp and 325lb of torque 'till 2003.

In 2004 GM make it up to 295hp and 335lb of torque.

I guess the one you gonna use is from a '99 silverado isn't ?

gstguy97
04/29/2012, 02:51 PM
So which year is the silverado you bought this engine from ?

According to wikipedia GM's 5.3L build back in 1999 was rated @ 270HP and 315lb of torque.

Then in 2000 GM upgrade the engine to make it kick out 285hp and 325lb of torque 'till 2003.

In 2004 GM make it up to 295hp and 335lb of torque.

I guess the one you gonna use is from a '99 silverado isn't ?

The motor I picked up is out of a 2004 Silverado, so the 295/335 motor...

89Vette
06/09/2012, 10:17 AM
Small update?
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3060949551.html

The A Dog
06/19/2012, 04:24 AM
Awesome, I'm so excited to see how it goes!

WiSDoM
06/19/2012, 05:47 AM
The 5.3l I put in mine was from a 2009 h3 and I did go with the dana 300. I believe the motor is a little smaller than the 5.3 your putting in.

SilverBullet75
06/19/2012, 07:29 PM
I'm really curious... Why hasn't anyone gone larger than 5.3? 5.7 and 6.0 have the same size blocks.
Is it the cost?

Ldub
06/19/2012, 07:49 PM

I'm really curious... Why hasn't anyone gone larger than 5.3? 5.7 and 6.0 have the same size blocks.
Is it the cost?

Naaaaaaaa...:rolleyesg

Ya can't swap the 3 & the 5, to come up with any legible type of badging...:yesgray:

:laughing:

Sorry Riff, I couldn't resist...:smilewink

gstguy97
06/19/2012, 08:02 PM
Small update?
http://kansascity.craigslist.org/cto/3060949551.html

Yes, ran into some different things coming up in my life, military life is not always predictable and now with a new baby girl I have to sell this or my bike.. whichever sells first is gone :( I'll be making a for sale thread soon on here unfortunately... Just sold the 5.3 i was going to swap into it the other day... Sorry to disappoint.