PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Slipping

DeepSilentComplete
04/06/2012, 05:53 PM
I have checked the forum and don't quite see the problem I am having, so hoping for some advice.

My transmission slips from drive to neutral at low speed, usually around the neighborhood going down a slight hill, under 25 mph, and as I take my foot off the gas to let her slow a bit. It always occurs on particular stretch where the road curves and goes down the slight decline, though lately it has also occurred on the level road as I take my foot off the gas under 25, etc.

The remedy so far is to shift to a lower gear and back to drive (momentary downshift) and it works fine.

Any thoughts, ideas, help?

Thanks,.

twalker920
04/06/2012, 06:38 PM
First thing to check is the level and state of your transmission fluid. Which is hard but not impossible to do.

(I wimped out and had a shop do it)

Low and/or used tranny fluid can sometimes make automatics slip out of drive. If it's not that, it could be a sign of a more serious transmission wear problem.

Does it do it more when the VX isn't warmed up?

Others feel free to chime in...

RICHARD PAYNE
04/06/2012, 07:28 PM
I have checked the forum and don't quite see the problem I am having, so hoping for some advice.

My transmission slips from drive to neutral at low speed, usually around the neighborhood going down a slight hill, under 25 mph, and as I take my foot off the gas to let her slow a bit. It always occurs on particular stretch where the road curves and goes down the slight decline, though lately it has also occurred on the level road as I take my foot off the gas under 25, etc.

The remedy so far is to shift to a lower gear and back to drive (momentary downshift) and it works fine.

Any thoughts, ideas, help?

Thanks,.

The transmission fluid could just be low.

molivares
04/06/2012, 08:04 PM
Yep... Low fluid if it slips on turns.. or when stepping on the gas fast..

lasturbo
04/06/2012, 11:36 PM
Do U have any leaks from the trans area? The pink fluid is easy to spot and a common leak is pan gasket(s) and/or selector shaft seal.

hxdiaz
04/14/2012, 09:04 PM
I was three quarts low when my transmission was slipping. Now I've driven nearly 2,000 miles without any hint of slipping. Check your fluid level or have it checked. I had it checked.

HeckaTrebeka
10/23/2012, 09:24 AM
My transmission just started doing this. Yesterday, as I was pulling out into a rather busy road, the guy in front of my was moving very slow. I was moving slowly as well because of this. all of a sudden, my RPMs went up to 3k without gaining any speed!! I pulled into the nearest side road and stopped, then hit the gas again and it was back to normal. I will be checking my trans fluid today.. I'm freaked out now, and will probably have to pay for a trans rebuild... D: I only have 102k miles!!!

ojmagg
10/23/2012, 10:30 AM
I have to put fluid into mine every few months...it's leaking, but aside from tranny fluid on the ground, it shifts great.
I've never delt w a Tranny...

(insert your fav. gender bender joke here!)

Can you replace seals, or is it a complete rebuild once you get it off the truck...?

Triathlete
10/23/2012, 10:43 AM
If your leaking fluid probable causes are the shift switch gasket (on drivers side of trans) or the pan gaskets.

HeckaTrebeka
10/23/2012, 02:26 PM
Well after checking my trans fluid, it was nearly at max. I just topped it off and was driving it around a little today. Haven't had another slip or gear pop out yet, but I'm not liking what happened yesterday...

I park my vx in the garage and have had 0 leaks since I bought it. It just burns the oil like usual.

I don't know what's involved in a trans rebuild, but I'm guessing it's not going to be cheap to do.

CowboyErik
10/24/2012, 10:33 AM
I just had a local shop do a drop and rebuild for $1250, I ended up at $1500 cause I actually needed a case; the 4L30E is a known weak tranny and was never intended for 4WD all the time, the intercoolers built into the radiators are a joke, they do nothing, auxillary intercoolers are cheap and easy to install; advice to all, call local shops, don't mention you have an Isuzu, just that you have a General Motors 4L30E transmission that need the master overhaul kit and solinoinds installed; tranny rebuild, gather prices and go see their operation; then need lots of space and people with experiance to do the job, guy that did mine had been doing since he was 14, and he was in his 50's or 60's, I shift like Lexus again, shifts better than when I got the car! I had them take off my entire exhaust system to so I got strip rust, prime and paint it all! Preserved forever now!

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/IMG_0796.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_0796.JPG)

HeckaTrebeka
10/24/2012, 11:10 AM
I'm looking into getting it rebuilt. I'm sure that if Isuzu knew that the 4L30E couldn't handle the workload intended on this VX, they wouldn't have installed it on them. That said, I would agree that it might be good to get a more heavy duty transmission installed if you were planning on towing heavy loads behind the VX...

CowboyErik
10/28/2012, 12:28 PM
No Towing allowed! VX abuse! a real intercooler will help out alot; I got lucky with my rebuild cost; shifting like a Lexus now, it never shifted like this when I got it; I bouhgt mine used on a trailor lot/sales lot in Cleveland in 2006, cheap, $6K, saved it!

HeckaTrebeka
10/28/2012, 10:21 PM
I checked around on rebuilds in my area.. I'm looking at $2500.... I'll be looking for just a quick fix as I can't really spend that kind of money on a transmission at this time.

evillecutter
10/29/2012, 01:45 PM
i would try a $12 bottle of lucas before i dropped $1500 - $2500 on a transmission/rebuild