PDA

View Full Version : TOD with large tires question...

espidus
04/11/2012, 04:29 PM
I recently upgraded to Nitto Trail Grapplers 35"x12.5" and noticed that when I floor the gas, TOD sends full power to the front wheels for a short burst, then it drops to normal until I floor it again. Does anyone running big tires know if this is normal behavior for the TOD system in a VX running 35s.:confused: It would seem odd that TOD would think that traction is needed at the front, if my stock tires didn't lose grip why would these? Anyways, thanks in advance to anyone chiming in. :)

Triathlete
04/11/2012, 04:34 PM
It will do the same with stock tires...operating normal.

espidus
04/11/2012, 04:45 PM
Strange thing is it never did that before the upgrade in tire size?

VXorado
04/11/2012, 06:39 PM
My TOD does the same with the 35s and the TOD functions fine once I get those big tires rolling.

Ldub
04/11/2012, 08:46 PM
I recently upgraded to Nitto Trail Grapplers 35"x12.5" and noticed that when I floor the gas, TOD sends full power to the front wheels for a short burst, then it drops to normal until I floor it again. Does anyone running big tires know if this is normal behavior for the TOD system in a VX running 35s.:confused: It would seem odd that TOD would think that traction is needed at the front, if my stock tires didn't lose grip why would these? Anyways, thanks in advance to anyone chiming in. :)

I'll agree, totally normal for 33-35's.

Some of this phenom could be explained by taller sidewall height, thereby more sidewall flex under acceleration, since rotation is sensed @ the axle.

That, & the rotational mass, fooling the the TOD controller.

Vendetta
04/11/2012, 09:19 PM
I'll agree, totally normal for 33-35's.

Some of this phenom could be explained by taller sidewall height, thereby more sidewall flex under acceleration, since rotation is sensed @ the axle.

That, & the rotational mass, fooling the the TOD controller.

Dub. You mad. freaking. GENIUS.

Since I've stepped up to to the 285/65 18s, I've noticed a peculiar phenomenon: TOD behaves perfectly on my initial morning run to the expressway, then when I get back into city traffic, it does the weird pulsey distribution thing from a standing start until about about 10 or 15 MPH, then behaves normally again at speed.

The commute on the expressway must warm up the tires, soften the sidewalls and introduce flex sufficient enough to "fool the TOD controller," as you say.

If I let it sit for even 20 minutes or so, the heat dissipates and the cycle starts over again. Was bugging me to no end... just hadn't gotten around to putting it out here yet.

Annnnnd... "now I can sleep tonight."
-V

Ldub
04/11/2012, 09:22 PM
Annnnnd... "now I can sleep tonight."
-V

:sleepgray...:thumbup: