PDA

View Full Version : Neutral Safety Switch??

p_justin13
04/16/2012, 07:34 AM
So last night driving home in terrible rain storm truck started to shift very hard from 1st to 2nd when pulling away from stop sign and vise versa when stopping. Started to panic. This morning when I shift through gears parked in the driveway when I hit 3 down to lown the lights freak out on the console like it dosen't know what gear its in. Is this more than likely just the shift mode switch gone bad?

vt_maverick
04/16/2012, 08:16 AM
Definitely could be the culprit and a lot cheaper fix than a bad transmission. Sounds similar to the problems I was experiencing when my switch went out. A slipping or hard shifting transmission that's just worn-out probably wouldn't do the dash light trick you're seeing. How many miles do you have on your VX?

Cross your fingers! :luck:

p_justin13
04/16/2012, 08:28 AM
LOL 199946 miles just about to roll 200K. Hoping that its just the switch as well just ordered and I guess well see it's a cheap enough part to take a chance at that instead of the tranny. Tranny has been very smooth so far until then. Just seemed fishy to happen during massive rain hoping for water into switch situation lol

vt_maverick
04/16/2012, 08:41 AM
The part is roughly $150 so it's worth a shot. Or you can try to clean yours and see if that helps. Here's a thread with good info:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19069&highlight=neutral+safety+switch

MSHardeman
04/16/2012, 08:56 AM
Could it be the mode selector switch? A few people have had that go out and it has caused hard shifting problems. I suppose it could also cause the indicator lights to freak out a little bit because if the selector switch is going out it won't know what gear it's in.

The mode selector switch is mounted to the side of the transmission under the VX so it could have been effected by the water.

Edit: Nevermind, looks like Mav got you taken care of.

Y33TREKker
04/16/2012, 09:16 AM
You will also want to check the electrical connectors on the passenger side of the transmission. The same driving-in-rain scenarios have happened to me and a few other members here and what we found was that those supposedly water-proof connectors were allowing water inside and some of the connections were shorting together. Another possible cause is a wiring harness that is routed too close to the exhaust sometimes gets it's insulation melted from the heat, which in turn allows the same possible problem, shorts and crossed circuits.

Different members have addressed the problem in different ways, but suffice to say that disconnecting the connectors, giving them a good cleaning with electrical contact cleaner, applying some water-proofing dielectric compound, reconnecting the connectors, then further sealing them from the elements with shrink tubing or electrical tape has kept the problem from happening again. Connectors with melted insulation would obviously require more repair.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=12458&highlight=transmission+connectors

vt_maverick
04/16/2012, 09:22 AM
Neutral safety switch = mode selector switch. They're the same part.

MSHardeman
04/16/2012, 11:12 AM
vt, saw that in your post that you linked to earlier. What's the one that I'm thinking of then? The one that is in the center console that let's you shift out of park when you push down on the brake pedal? Thought that was the neutral safety switch.

Y33TREKker
04/16/2012, 12:08 PM
Seems it's just been a small matter of consistency so far. What started out as a "neutral safety switch" then changed to a "shift mode switch", then changed to a "mode selector switch".

Neutral safety switch - in console, prevents trans lever from moving out of park.

Shift-mode/mode-selector switch - on driver's side of trans

That's the way I've always understood the difference between the two anyway.

vt_maverick
04/16/2012, 12:24 PM
Hmmm... what do you think I sent you a year or two ago? (@ MSHardeman)

MSHardeman
04/16/2012, 12:45 PM
VT, I thought that you sent me the mode selector switch (which I STILL haven't rebuilt yet). The name makes sense to me because it inicates/tells the VX what gear (mode?) the transmission is in.:_confused

Sorry for the TJ Justin. I think we're all telling you to check the thingy that is mounted to the side of the transmission under the VX. Like VT said, I have his old one that I can take a picture of so you can get a better feel on what you are looking for if you would like.

vt_maverick
04/16/2012, 01:01 PM
This is like some weird British comedy show or something. :laughy: I did send you what you called a mode selector switch. It's just that the replacement I ordered for it from Isuzu is called a neutral safety switch. :)

MSHardeman
04/16/2012, 04:44 PM
Well if that's what Isuzu calls it, then that's what it is.

Who's on first?

p_justin13
04/16/2012, 05:44 PM
Lol yes parts store calls it a neutral safety switch but it's the little piece from the side of the trans housing.