PDA

View Full Version : "New" Front Bumper

MSHardeman
05/10/2012, 09:51 PM
OK, I've been threatening to do this for a while ( http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=19947 ) and I finally got around to doing it. After taking the front cladding off this past weekend to do a little fog light work, I noticed that my front bumper was really just swiss cheese (more like metal lace) so I pulled the trigger and called a local 4x4 shop to have them bend up a new one for me.

When I took the bumper off I nearly fell apart in my hands. I can't believe that the thing was still in one piece and attached to the VX.

Here are some before's:
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Front_Bumper_Old_05-10-12_02.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Front_Bumper_Old_05-10-12_16.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Front_Bumper_Old_05-10-12_15.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Front_Bumper_Old_05-10-12_14.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Front_Bumper_Old_05-10-12_17.JPG

And here are some shots of what the shop bent up. They used the same 1 1/2" steel tubing that they make tube buggies out of then mandrel bent it, welded caps on both ends then painted it with self-etching primer. The original bumper mounts were still good so they reused those.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Front_Bumper_New_05-10-12_01.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Front_Bumper_New_05-10-12_03.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Front_Bumper_New_05-10-12_04.JPG

And a before and after:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Front_Bumper_Old_05-10-12_03.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Front_Bumper_New_05-10-12_11.JPG

The shop (4 Play Offroad) kept the "pattern" and said that they would be happy to replicate it if anyone else wanted one.

If you haven't taken a look at your bumper lately, I think you might be surprised by what you find. I know I was.

RabidPony
05/11/2012, 02:56 AM
Looks good but I have one question. Is the center section where it is welded together sleeved?

ojmagg
05/11/2012, 05:12 AM
Rock Auto sells this part for $18 plus shipping...

tom4bren
05/11/2012, 06:35 AM

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=697232

The other part #s they list for this item are:

IZ1006121

EDIT:

Use the IZ part # when searching on their site.

MSHardeman
05/11/2012, 08:11 AM
RabidPony - Yes, the weld in the center is sleeved. They ended up doing it that way because their tube bender couldn't do the two bends on either side of the centerline. Think they were too close together for the machine to handle.

ojmagg - I think others have tried to get the bumper from a few different sources, and even though many places have it listed, when you actually try and buy it, it doesn't exist. I think Merlin at St. Charles can still get these "new", but it will be the same junky metal and will eventually rust out again. Not sure if I would trust an $18 bumper in the first place.:eek: Heck, for $18, I might try and order one to see if it's the real deal.

MSHardeman
05/11/2012, 08:32 AM

Well, let's see what happens. Just ordered one, and with shipping the total was $30. The site said that there was a 4-5 day shipping delay due to the part being in an offsite warehouse.

I'll let everyone know IF it ships, and if it does, I'll report on quality once it arrives.

VX KAT
05/11/2012, 09:10 AM

Well, let's see what happens. Just ordered one, and with shipping the total was $30. The site said that there was a 4-5 day shipping delay due to the part being in an offsite warehouse.

I'll let everyone know IF it ships, and if it does, I'll report on quality once it arrives.

Looks great Mark! I know you've been wanting to do that for a while now...nothing like Moab creeping up on ya to get motivated!

I recall a few folks have tried to get one from Rock Auto and another site also, I think it was Gill (nocturnlVX) with no luck. Surely the METAL costs more than $18! :eek:

~What's "self-etching primer"
~Why aren't the brackets equally rotted?
~Always wondered, does it provide any crash protection strength to just be able to pass US requirements?
~Or is engine/radiator etc protection the main function?

MSHardeman
05/11/2012, 09:30 AM
Looks great Mark! I know you've been wanting to do that for a while now...nothing like Moab creeping up on ya to get motivated!

I recall a few folks have tried to get one from Rock Auto and another site also, I think it was Gill (nocturnlVX) with no luck. Surely the METAL costs more than $18! :eek:

~What's "self-etching primer"
~Always wondered, does it provide any crash protection strength to just be able to pass US requirements?

Sue,

~From what I understand self-etching primer pretty much bonds itself with the metal so that no rust can form. Here's a quick explanation after a quick Google search:

Self-etching primer is composed of an acid and zinc. The acid, usually phosphoric acid, forces the zinc down into the top couple of molecules of the steel. Chemically impregnating the steel like this cannot reverse the rust but it can stop in from getting worse. So it’s important that you get all of the scaly rust off.

~I'm pretty sure that the brackets are equally rotated. Maybe it's a weird perspective thing in the pictures. The bumper sits flat and level on the VX. Maybe they are rotated differently and my frame rails are out of whack.

~To tell you the truth I'm not sure how much protection this dinky little thing would provide. I have a feeling it would just get folded up into the radiator if it recieved a good impact, particularly my old rusted out one.

The guy at the shop who was building the bumper said that it looked like the bumper was made for baja running, due to the middle being turned up like a bull bar. At that point I told him the history of the VX and how it was sort of built like a baja runner with the reservoir shocks and that a few had actually been run in the Baja races.

ojmagg
05/11/2012, 09:35 AM
True, the $18 bumper is prob as thick as a soda can...

tom4bren
05/11/2012, 11:51 AM

Sue,

The metal is thicker on the brackets and is probably a different grade of steel. That's probably why they didn't rot like the tubes did.

The bumper offers little or no crash protection. Round tubing just ain't that strong. If you were looking to modify it for crash protection, you should replicate it in square tubing or angle.

MSHardeman
05/11/2012, 12:13 PM

After reading Tom's post I realized that you asked why the brackets aren't as rotted.

I read "rotated", so that is the reason for my cryptic answer to that question.

Yea, what Tom said about the brackets not being rotted.....

Man, I need to get my eyes......or my brain......checked.:rollo:

dietz99vcross
05/11/2012, 05:01 PM
When I pulled the front off to work on my VX the remnants of what was left of this bumper was swept up (12 years of Michigan salted roads). The largest piece I had left was maybe 10" long, and you would have been hard pressed to tell it used to be circular.

Having said that, I may be interested, but I didn't see anything about $$. Any idea on what cost they are thinking about charging? I would probably just get the bar from them and get it attached around home.

Thanks - Mike

Triathlete
05/11/2012, 05:42 PM
The reason the tube bumper rots is that moisture builds up inside it and then slowly rots it from the inside out. The brackets being flat do not retain the moisture. If you take a look at your factory bumper you will see the end caps are tack welded and not sealded the entire way around which allows the moisture in. Most could prevent the rusting by sealing the end cap and applying a good coat of paint...or be fortunate enough to live in a nice dry desert setting!
As far as round tube not being strong...wrong. Why are tube frames not made with square tube? It depends on the tube material, how it is used and the size/thickness.

blacksambo
05/11/2012, 06:06 PM
What does this newly fabricated bumper cost to have made? Thx

MSHardeman
05/11/2012, 09:16 PM
Ended up costing me right at $300. I haven't talked to the shop yet about what they would charge to bend more up and ship them. When I talked to them about this a year ago they said that they would be happy to bend just the pipe up and send it out for others to weld to their stock brackets. Don't know what shipping would be either. I can find all of that out after Moab if anyone is interested.

On a similar note, and something that might make me feel like a boob, but I just got an email from RockAuto that the bumper I ordered from them is expected to ship on May 18th. This might be a SUPER cheap alternative for some.

dietz99vcross
05/12/2012, 11:54 AM
Well if you do get the bumper from RockAuto and it seems legit, since it doesn't seem like you need it, I would take it off your hands assuming shipping isn't ridiculous.

yellowgizmo99
05/12/2012, 12:18 PM
since they made it in 2 pieces and welded the center section they could send it unwelded with the parts and probaly wouldn't be too bad on shipping. just a thought.

tom4bren
05/14/2012, 07:25 AM
Man, I need to get my eyes......or my brain......checked.:rollo:

ROFL - The story of my life!!!

The reason the tube bumper rots is that moisture builds up inside it and then slowly rots it from the inside out. The brackets being flat do not retain the moisture. If you take a look at your factory bumper you will see the end caps are tack welded and not sealded the entire way around which allows the moisture in. Most could prevent the rusting by sealing the end cap and applying a good coat of paint...or be fortunate enough to live in a nice dry desert setting!
As far as round tube not being strong...wrong. Why are tube frames not made with square tube? It depends on the tube material, how it is used and the size/thickness.

Au contrare

Square tubing of comparable size, material, thickness is mucho more strongerer & triangular cross section would be even better. Round tubing is used because of cost & the ability to bend it without deforming the cross section.

MSHardeman
05/24/2012, 06:54 PM
Well, you know what they say about things being too good to be true.

Surprise, surprise; the front bumper reinforcement that Rock Auto is selling for $18 isn't at ALL what they are advertising. I'm going to call someone over there and complain, because when you search their site for "bumper reinforcement" for a 2000 Isuzu VehiCROSS a picture of the actual reinforcement shows up, but what I got was this:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Bumper_Reinforce_01.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Bumper_Reinforce_02.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Bumper_Reinforce_05.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Bumper_Reinforce_08.JPG
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Bumper_Reinforce_07.JPG

I don't remember EVER seeing this little gem on my VX anywhere. To tell you the truth I don't think it even belongs on a VX. The original sticker below the Partslink sticker in the fourth picture states that it is a "front support retainer bar replacement parts for Isuzu Rodeo/ Honda Passport 98". WTF!?:_wtf:

I think it's false advertising when a picture of our bumper reinforcement shows up on the website, but then this stamped steel P.O.S. shows up at my door....and it's not even for a VX. I'm not terribly upset; I mean I really didn't expect to get our bumper for $18 (and wouldn't really have wanted to use it if it actually WAS our bumper), but I am a little annoyed at how misleading the Rock Auto website is.

I'll let you know what, if anything, comes out of calling them on their B.S.

VX KAT
05/24/2012, 07:57 PM
I'm not terribly upset; I mean I really didn't expect to get our bumper for $18 (and wouldn't really have wanted to use it if it actually WAS our bumper), but I am a little annoyed at how misleading the Rock Auto website is.

I'll let you know what, if anything, comes out of calling them on their B.S.

A little annoyed? :_wtf:.....
I've heard both good and bad about Rock Auto....think it was Marlin that had good experience with them, but everything else I've heard has been bad.

H3_VX
07/22/2012, 03:21 PM
Ended up costing me right at $300. I haven't talked to the shop yet about what they would charge to bend more up and ship them. When I talked to them about this a year ago they said that they would be happy to bend just the pipe up and send it out for others to weld to their stock brackets. Don't know what shipping would be either. I can find all of that out after Moab if anyone is interested.

On a similar note, and something that might make me feel like a boob, but I just got an email from RockAuto that the bumper I ordered from them is expected to ship on May 18th. This might be a SUPER cheap alternative for some.

$300 eh? What does the stock part cost. Gonna go research that now. I bet the bumper you had made is 10,000 times stronger and rust proof than the Isuzu bumper.

MSHardeman
07/23/2012, 08:12 AM
I think the Isuzu stock bumper is +/-$350, so I really didn't save that much money, but the shop did make it out of the same tubing that they make their roll cages out of, then capped both ends so that it won't rust from the inside out. After welding and cleaning they shot a coat of self etching primer on it so it will probably last longer than the VX will.

Now that you brought this back up, I need to call the shop to see if they would still be interested, and what it would cost, to make more of these for other VX owner.

H3_VX
07/23/2012, 06:34 PM
I think the Isuzu stock bumper is +/-$350, so I really didn't save that much money, but the shop did make it out of the same tubing that they make their roll cages out of, then capped both ends so that it won't rust from the inside out. After welding and cleaning they shot a coat of self etching primer on it so it will probably last longer than the VX will.

Now that you brought this back up, I need to call the shop to see if they would still be interested, and what it would cost, to make more of these for other VX owner.

Please PM me with what you find out from the shop. Thanks.

Gizmo42
07/23/2012, 09:30 PM
I dont remember seeing anything like that on my rodeo. Not sure where that piece would go. Mine would be the same as a '98.

MSHardeman
07/24/2012, 08:30 AM
Dave, I think they call it a "front bumper reinforcement", whatever that is. The part is so thin I really hope it's not reinforcing something important. If you figure out where it goes, and you need a new one, you can have the one I have because it's not doing me any good.

Gizmo42
07/24/2012, 04:52 PM
Going to have my bumper off sometime next month, maybe then I'll figure out where its supposed to go LOL.

VX MileHigh
08/16/2012, 11:27 AM
While researching front bumper reinforcements I found something that might explain the part you got. The part number is for a center bumper mounting bracket for an Amigo. The picture and the part number don't match. The part number is 8971257810 but the VehiCross bumper reinforcement is 8971435345 so while they did mess up putting the wrong picture with the part they did have a different part number. I know that doesn't make it right but it might explain the problem.

MSHardeman
08/16/2012, 01:32 PM
OK, finally got to talk to the people at the shop where I had my new bumper reinforcement done. They said that the easiest thing for them to do would be to build new bumpers with the frame attachments welded to them so all they would have to do would be to ship the bumper out and the new owner would just have to bolt the bumper on. No muss, no fuss.

The bumpers would be made out of DOM tubing (same stuff they make roll cages out of),and bent to the exact profile of our original bumpers. The ends of the bumper would have end caps welded to them so nothing can get into them and rot them from the inside out. All of that would be welded to new bumper mounts, then the whole thing would have a coat of self etching primer sprayed on it. The shop is looking at $300 per bumper, and shipping would be extra.

I know that's almost what Isuzu is asking for a new bumper, but those would eventually rot out again, and I have a feeling that my new bumper will last longer than the VX itself. The shop plans on using my VX one more time to double check all of their measurements, and they will make two bumpers this go round. One to ship out, and one to keep as their template for future orders.

Let me know if you are interested and we'll get the ball rolling.

Cobrajet
08/30/2012, 02:35 PM
I didn't think I needed a new front bumper until I took a look last night...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww2hmX1HT1w&hd=1

That's not going to provide much protection! I'm very interested in this new product.

Bob Barker
08/30/2012, 04:59 PM
I had to remove mine since I did the body lift a few months ago, so I've got one if there is a big demand for it. Rust proof and dry sitting in the corner of my garage.

princejazzbo
08/31/2012, 08:39 AM
OK, finally got to talk to the people at the shop where I had my new bumper reinforcement done. They said that the easiest thing for them to do would be to build new bumpers with the frame attachments welded to them so all they would have to do would be to ship the bumper out and the new owner would just have to bolt the bumper on. No muss, no fuss.

The bumpers would be made out of DOM tubing (same stuff they make roll cages out of),and bent to the exact profile of our original bumpers. The ends of the bumper would have end caps welded to them so nothing can get into them and rot them from the inside out. All of that would be welded to new bumper mounts, then the whole thing would have a coat of self etching primer sprayed on it. The shop is looking at $300 per bumper, and shipping would be extra.

I know that's almost what Isuzu is asking for a new bumper, but those would eventually rot out again, and I have a feeling that my new bumper will last longer than the VX itself. The shop plans on using my VX one more time to double check all of their measurements, and they will make two bumpers this go round. One to ship out, and one to keep as their template for future orders.

Let me know if you are interested and we'll get the ball rolling.

I'd probably be interested it getting one. my bumper is currently supported by little wooden blocks that the previous owner stuck in place of the bar that rusted out.

VX KAT
08/31/2012, 08:45 AM
I didn't think I needed a new front bumper until I took a look last night...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww2hmX1HT1w&hd=1

:_thinking...I can't view that youtube vid, says it's "unlisted" and I must have link to it -I thought that's what you provided Cobra...:_thinking

yellowgizmo99
08/31/2012, 09:41 AM
must be an Apple thing, I can see it on my PC.

Cobrajet
08/31/2012, 10:43 AM
I can't view that youtube vid, says it's "unlisted" and I must have link to it -I thought that's what you provided Cobra...

I just changed it to Public. Maybe it's that High Def tag I put on the original link.

:_confused

JAMAS
08/31/2012, 11:02 AM
while watching that video, did anyone else see the video link for www.originalwheels.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEo62Vqs29E&feature=endscreen

bentcipher
09/09/2012, 10:19 AM
+1

So... do we have enough interest to get a Group Buy going?

I think if we can get an idea what minimum quantity requirements are and if there is any cost benefit for hitting certain quantity limits may be we can get this ball rolling?

evillecutter
09/12/2012, 07:04 AM
i feel lucky mine looks brand new :)

Maddawg
10/10/2012, 02:03 PM
DOM tubing, what it is.
http://ps.thomasnet.com/productsearch/results.html?cov=NA&family_id=152336&category_id=152337&heading=88618723&panel=C&WT.mc_t=PS_PPC&WT.mc_n=rip_4&WT.sem_engine=rip_4&WT.sem_keyword=dom+tubing&WT.srch=1&WT.z_sem_account=1&mctoken=253652144624846301&what=dom+tubing&which=products
A-513 specs. Low carbon steel.
http://www.onlinemetals.com/alloycat.cfm?alloy=A513

Maddawg
10/10/2012, 02:10 PM
Has anyone had external bumpers made or purchased for the VX???

pbkid
10/10/2012, 02:40 PM
Maddawg, look up grandpa bob, marlin, orion, jofotoz.

All have exterior bumpers, all different styles.

Maddawg
10/10/2012, 03:12 PM
Thanks pb!!!

VX MileHigh
10/11/2012, 10:02 AM
As everyone told me be aware of ordering the bumper reinforcement through Amazon. I just got off of the phone asking to get a refund on what I ordered. When I looked at the part there was a note that said, Fitment Notes: Recycled, OEM #8971435345, Partslink #IZ1006121. The part number in this note is the OEM bumper reinforcement for the VX. The part that was sent in not even close it is a bumper support and the VX does not even have anything like it. So to all of you out there, you were right and I didn't get what I was trying to get. On to plan B or C or whatever it is now.

VX KAT
10/11/2012, 10:10 AM
Has anyone had external bumpers made or purchased for the VX???

Also look at BBVX gallery.

VX KAT
10/11/2012, 10:13 AM
As everyone told me be aware of ordering the bumper reinforcement through Amazon. I just got off of the phone asking to get a refund on what I ordered. When I looked at the part there was a note that said, Fitment Notes: Recycled, OEM #8971435345, Partslink #IZ1006121. The part number in this note is the OEM bumper reinforcement for the VX. The part that was sent in not even close it is a bumper support and the VX does not even have anything like it. So to all of you out there, you were right and I didn't get what I was trying to get. On to plan B or C or whatever it is now.

:slap: Listen to the force young skywalker.....

Maddawg
10/11/2012, 10:48 AM
Thanks Kat, but looking for more info than photos. Wondering if there is an after-market supplier for a tube bumper for the VX front. Or if its been done custom by anyone, is there a pattern available?

tom4bren
10/11/2012, 11:11 AM
Thanks Kat, but looking for more info than photos. Wondering if there is an after-market supplier for a tube bumper for the VX front. Or if its been done custom by anyone, is there a pattern available?

PM MSHardeman. He should be able to get you the contact info for the shop that made his. Not sure if they would give up the design they came up with but they'd certainly be willing to sell you a copy of the bumper itself.

Maddawg
10/11/2012, 11:38 AM
PM MSHardeman. He should be able to get you the contact info for the shop that made his. Not sure if they would give up the design they came up with but they'd certainly be willing to sell you a copy of the bumper itself.

Ok, I'll check that out. The local shops around here are asking $400 per bumper to fab from scratch.

vt_maverick
10/11/2012, 11:40 AM
Are you talking about a push/bull bar? Or the bar that's inside the cladding?

VX MileHigh
10/11/2012, 11:43 AM
:slap: Listen to the force young skywalker.....I will listen next time.

VX MileHigh
10/11/2012, 11:45 AM
Are you talking about a push/bull bar? Or the bar that's inside the cladding?The bar that is referred to in inside the cladding. Most of them have rusted away. When I took mine off the remains would fit in a shoebox.

pbkid
10/11/2012, 11:58 AM

Ok, I'll check that out. The local shops around here are asking $400 per bumper to fab from scratch.

no such thing as a pre-made for the VX. Now i question what you mean by bumper though? Are you talking about something external to protect the vehicle for offroad use, or are you referring to something for urban use, or something to go behind the cladding? $400 would be EXTREMELY low if you are referring to an offroad style bumper. I paid over $1200 for mine, and its on a Toyota. It would be safe to assume around $1500-1800 for one on a VX, depending on how complicated and involved.
are you talking about 1 or 2?
1-
http://img.off-road.com/aimages/articlestandard/trucks4x4/362009/623023/shrockworks.jpg
2-
http://a.cdnbrm.com/images/products/large/grille_guards/aries_off_road_grille_guard1.jpg

Maddawg
10/11/2012, 12:06 PM
Yeah, two bumpers. I'm talking more on the order of this:
http://i50.tinypic.com/67lima.jpg

vt_maverick
10/11/2012, 12:45 PM
Apparently I should have phrased the question more like pbkid...

pbkid
10/11/2012, 04:04 PM
Most would refer to that as a 'bull bar', i believe westin does make one for the vx, im sure someone else will chime in with a part #.

No worries ash, i think we have 2 conversations going on here :)

H3_VX
10/25/2012, 07:06 PM
What would you guys do first? I have a bumper reinforcement that is completely rusted out. I even just ripped a dangling piece of with my bare hands. Or, would you replace a rocker. My drivers side rocker has a rust hole in it which I have filled. I can't afford both right away.

pbkid
10/29/2012, 02:19 PM
What would you guys do first? I have a bumper reinforcement that is completely rusted out. I even just ripped a dangling piece of with my bare hands. Or, would you replace a rocker. My drivers side rocker has a rust hole in it which I have filled. I can't afford both right away.

UH rocker for sure. The rocker is part of the body and if it rusts out, your vx is done for. That bumper 'support' is really only there to help line up the front bumper and protect your front end in a collision less than 15mph, like a parking lot bump.

wilmington nc styers
10/31/2012, 07:27 PM
Ok,

guys I ordered the one from rock auto when it came in I knew there was a problem when the box was 2foot long the part inside was a bumper support bracket for a Honda with the Iz1006121 part number on it .Called there tech line who contacted the supplier in California who stated the part number is correct but the picture on the website for rock auto is wrong hope this helps anybody DO NOT ORDER FROM ROCK AUTO UNLESS you call and have them verify that it has been corrected or you will be as disappointed as i was.

Maddawg
11/01/2012, 09:11 AM
Bummer!!

MSHardeman
11/01/2012, 10:00 AM
Ok,

guys I ordered the one from rock auto when it came in I knew there was a problem when the box was 2foot long the part inside was a bumper support bracket for a Honda with the Iz1006121 part number on it .Called there tech line who contacted the supplier in California who stated the part number is correct but the picture on the website for rock auto is wrong hope this helps anybody DO NOT ORDER FROM ROCK AUTO UNLESS you call and have them verify that it has been corrected or you will be as disappointed as i was.

Sorry. You should have read through the thread because I ordered the same thing from Rock Auto just to see what would show up.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=258489&postcount=19

SilverBullet75
11/01/2012, 10:58 AM
Rock Auto is hit and miss... 50% success when I ordered motor mounts from them. They were very cooperative when I returned one of them. They even paid for the return shipping since the advertised part was completely wrong. Just call them and ask for free shipping.

VX KAT
11/01/2012, 10:59 AM
Besides Mark's experience above, there's a few other threads where members (NocturnalVX) for one have tried to order it, it lets them pay and then they advise it's "out of stock"....it's not out of stock...it DOESN"T EXIST!

Search baby search! :thumbup: