PDA

View Full Version : intermittent a/c

stevo2deep
06/04/2012, 04:39 PM
Hi all,

I have searched for something similar but everything seems to come up blower motor or relay, which I have replaced within the last year. Does any one with a 99 have their a/c only work randomly? I can drive to work with the fan working and be able to turn a/c on, but on my way home after startup no fan, no light on a/c, but maybe when I pull into the drive way the damn thing kicks on?? Could this simply be the blower again after all? I guess what I'm asking is if it is possible for the blower issue to cause the A/C light to not come on as well or is there maybe something else I should look at. Thanks for looking

Y33TREKker
06/04/2012, 05:07 PM
Does the A/C system pressure (freon charge) check ok?

stevo2deep
06/04/2012, 05:45 PM
well that I can't say, but when a/c does come on it is cold as should be:confused:

Y33TREKker
06/04/2012, 06:18 PM
I ask because a system charge that's too high or too low can result in an intermittently activated A/C Triple-Pressure Switch. It acts as something of a safety switch for the components in the system because pressure that is too high can result in blown seals, or component failures when pressure (and as a by-product, system lubricant) is too low.

Since no A/C system is perfect, there can be leaks over time causing low pressure, and if a person doesn't exactly know proper procedures for adding freon to a system, too much can be added causing pressure to be too high which can be just as bad.

Gizmo42
06/04/2012, 07:01 PM
Dont think its the charge. The light for the a/c button would still be on. There is a bad connection somewhere. I have the same issue on my rodeo but it only happens occasionally so I'm not able to track it down.

Cobrajet
06/05/2012, 06:05 AM
This may seem really off the wall, but I have a similar issue with my '82 Mustang, and the problem with mine is the IGNITION SWITCH. When I start the car I have to very gentle rotate the key back a few degrees in order for the electrical contacts to engage. I learned this trick from my '70 Torino that did the same thing, except all the gauges would read high. (Maybe it's a Ford thing.)

stevo2deep
06/05/2012, 08:06 AM
well cobra that's about the only thing I haven't bothered jingle jangling. I will give that a try and let ya know