PDA

View Full Version : Please keep an eye out for...TROOPERS..with 6NZ coding .....

JoFotoz
06/07/2012, 04:07 PM
I'm gonna repost this on its own.
Its obviously VERY important to me (:p)...

..but also should be remembered for all other wanting 4.77's..
...and for stockpiling parts.

From Jerry Lemond....(THE Isuzu GURU)

ALL TROOPERS FROM 89-91 THAT CAME WITH THE BIG TIRE PACKAGE /SNOFLAKE WHEELS 10.50 15 TIRES FACTORY WITH THE 4.77 GEARS XS,RS,LS, DIDNT MATTER , AUTO OR MANUAL TRANS, 4CYL OR V6. NOW THE PROB IS WITH OUT CHECKING THE DATA PLATE UNDER THE HOOD FOR A 6NZ OPTION CODE . THERE IS NO OTHER MARKIGN TO GO BY
THERE WERE A LOT OF THOSE TRUCKS THAT HAD THE TIRES AND WHEELS SWITCHED AT THE DLR, UN KNOWING BY THE CUSTOMER ,, NO MARKS ON THE THIRD MEMBER AT ALL, SO IT IS VERY POSSIBLE TO FIND ONE THAT HAS THE 4.77 AND THE ORIGINAL OWNER MAY NOT EVEN REALIZE IT . ISUZU PUT A STOP TO THAT IN 90 BECAUSE SO MANY PEOPLE WERE COMPLAING EITHER ABOTU POWER OR ENG NOISE AFTER WE FOUND OUT WHAT THEY WERE DOING. ALL THE BRNGS AND SEAL ARE THE SAME FOR ALL 12 BOLTS

Obviously..I need a rear set up...so help me please :thumbup:

But anyone digging round salvage yards etc should keep this in mind ALWAYS..
..cause they are HARD to find....and people WANT them...and will PAY!!

So any of you that frequent scrap yards/Walmart lots/speakeasys or other places of ill repute....
.......please keep an eye out for 6NZ coded Troopers being parted out!

You'll make lots o'friends, leap tall buildings....
....and Nigerian Govmt Officials will send YOU money!!

Cheers

Jo

RickOKC
06/07/2012, 04:20 PM
I don't frequent the yards, but if you locate what you need in my neighborhood, I volunteer to help however I can (maybe pick up and arrange for cheaper shipping or something like that.)

Troopers were VERY popular in these parts - I see a few on the road every day and my total commute is only 6 miles each way.

JoFotoz
06/07/2012, 04:29 PM
Thanks Rick...

I don't frequent the yards, but if you locate what you need in my neighborhood, I volunteer to help however I can (maybe pick up and arrange for cheaper shipping or something like that.)

Troopers were VERY popular in these parts - I see a few on the road every day and my total commute is only 6 miles each way.

I think I've contacted every scrap yard in the Western Hemisphere...

...so if a set comes up in your neck of the woods I'll give you a holla!

:thumbup:

Jo

RabidPony
06/07/2012, 10:09 PM
Let me lnow if you just so happen to come across a spare set beyond what you need. I know, snowball's chance but doesn't hurt to ask.

BigSwede
06/08/2012, 06:52 AM
Just remember, this is limited to 1st gen Troopers...don't bother looking at 2nd gens for this code.

onebadtrooper
06/08/2012, 08:57 AM
I found a set in Arizona a few months ago, Can't remember the JY name though. What I did was go on car-part.com and look up parts that would only be on a trooper rs, Like "2door window's for an 89 trooper" And I called everyone that listed parts for a 2 door 89 trooper. There are a few parts that are RS only that you can search. In this case they listed door parts but not R&P's so I would have never found them otherwise just looking up R&P's. Make since?
I didn't buy them so I'd search the JY's in AZ first..

_Chris..

onebadtrooper
06/08/2012, 08:59 AM
Just found the old email...

$250 for rear, $100 for front is what they quoted..not sure if they still have them.

Arizona Imports was the junkyard.

JoFotoz
06/08/2012, 11:07 AM
Thanks OBT...

Just found the old email...

$250 for rear, $100 for front is what they quoted..not sure if they still have them.

Arizona Imports was the junkyard.

Sent mail.....hope they still have them:thumbup:

Cheers

Jo

tjh
06/08/2012, 11:15 AM
Hey Jo ! If I find a trooper with the 6NZ code how do I remove the gearing and what tools do I need to get the job done . I would like the process explained in detail . Removing the entire rear and front axle will be a deal breaker for me .

JoFotoz
06/08/2012, 12:32 PM
Hiya Travis...

Hey Jo ! If I find a trooper with the 6NZ code how do I remove the gearing and what tools do I need to get the job done . I would like the process explained in detail . Removing the entire rear and front axle will be a deal breaker for me .

No need to remove the axles at all.

The differential housings ("3rd member") slide out of the axle pumpkins.

Roughly speaking...(how I do it, any better ways welcome!)

1) remove drive shaft at axle end.

2) remove all bolts that hold 3rd member in pumpkin housing

3) Pull axle shafts enough to release/clear splines from diff.

4) Pull 3rd member out.

5) curse, cause ya forgot to empty diff oil first, and yer covered in ICKKK!!

You'll end up with this (3rd member)...
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/4_77_rear_diff_002.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=22570)
...but not damaged hopefully...and with 43 'teeth'

From here the 3rd can be taken apart/boken down....
.... and the ring gear,carrier housing and pinion can be seperated from the 3rd member "housing/case"

Hope that helps...and thanks for YOUR help :thumbup:

Jo

onebadtrooper
06/08/2012, 12:49 PM
Forgot 1 step... you have to pull the axle shafts out of each end enough to disengauge from the third member.

JoFotoz
06/08/2012, 12:53 PM
Yup...

Forgot 1 step... you have to pull the axle shafts out of each end enough to disengauge from the third member.

My bad ..was fixated on the ring & pinion!

Fixed it in the post..

jo

tjh
06/08/2012, 02:26 PM
Thank you ! So in order to pull the axle shafts I probably would need to remove the brake calipers or something else ? Is the front diff the same procedure ? It has a CV propeller shaft, which I guess would be a pita to remove. I know you just need the rear pumpkin, but I cant see leaving a perfectly good 477 front pumpkin behind.

Ldub
06/08/2012, 03:36 PM
Thank you ! So in order to pull the axle shafts I probably would need to remove the brake calipers or something else ? Is the front diff the same procedure ? It has a CV propeller shaft, which I guess would be a pita to remove. I know you just need the rear pumpkin, but I cant see leaving a perfectly good 477 front pumpkin behind.

The sensors on the rear axle need to be removed...CAREFULLY (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=21141&highlight=speed+sensors), before the axles can slide out.

The entire front axle needs to be pulled, so you can get to the snap rings behind the diff brackets...:_wrench:

JoFotoz
06/08/2012, 04:20 PM
Thanks Dub..

I wasnt really thinking "carefull" given we are talking scrap yard stuff :smack:

And Yup I am focused on the back, but right enough Travis...

..why leave a front set........and the front is a PITA.

Jo

Ldub
06/08/2012, 09:31 PM
Thanks Dub..

I wasnt really thinking "carefull" given we are talking scrap yard stuff :smack:

And Yup I am focused on the back, but right enough Travis...

..why leave a front set........and the front is a PITA.

Jo

I hear ya bro...:thumbup:

But without some SERIOUS mechanical intervention...:smack:

IIRC, Ryan had to use some sort of puller, to get this result...:smack:

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/medium/4-28-09_013a.JPG

I had all 4 bolts out, & was trying to FORCE the axle out, with a stiff 1.5" putty knife...& a wood chisel...& a hammer...:mbrasd:

When I finally gave up & bolted it back together...:rolleyesg

THEN, I had the bright idea to go inside & consult the only website that I'm GLAD to contribute (http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Donations) to...VXinfo...:thumbup:

$aved me the co$t of at least one sensor...:thanx:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=21141&highlight=rear+speed+sensor