PDA

View Full Version : Weird problem

captainmind
06/16/2012, 07:03 AM
Had a strange issue strt yesterday. My left front tire started rubbing the cladding when turning. It's a large tire but it never contacted the cladding before. When looking at the tire, it appears to have moved closer to the front. The passenger front tire is still in the same place and does not rub.
Checked air pressure and it's fine.
checked the cladding and it doesn't appear to have moved or shifted position.

What could cause something like this? I'm completely stumped.

Ldub
06/16/2012, 07:59 AM
I'd start with the easiest (after checking pressure) check first...

Jack up the tire in question (using all appropriate safety methods=jack stands), then get ahold of the top & bottom of the tire, & try to move it in & out (opposing direction, up & down), to see if the bearings are tight.

Upper & lower ball joints, tie rod end, upper & lower control arm bushings, are all possible culprits too. Also, it could be a separated belt in the tire...so give it a few rotations while it's off the ground...:_wrench:..:luck:

captainmind
06/16/2012, 08:52 AM
Thanks Ldub. I just jacked it up and tried moving the tire. It didn't seem to have play but I can't be sure. Tread is good...tires are 3 months old.

That's about my extent of understanding of the mechanics under there. Guess I'll need to take her in. She drives fine but I don't want to risk anything.

Rampage108
06/16/2012, 11:16 PM
I put on new tires two months ago and seem to have same problem. well almost. Mine did not rub at all for over a month. Now every once in awhile in makes a rubbing noise. not under load, or breaking or turning. So random and everything seems normal underneath. Interested if you here anything

captainmind
06/18/2012, 12:08 PM
Well, I guess I should have gotten out the tape measure before taking it in to the shop. They said someone must have backed into my front cladding and that's why it's rubbing...oh well. It didn't look damaged but maybe I didn't look closely enough.

I'm also having them look at the tranny. I had it rebuilt 3 months ago and since then it has less power. Also, it doesn't seem like the power mode button changes the shifting anymore. I drove it in power mode for the last 10 years. It sucks to have the car lose the performance on the road. But since it isn't throwing codes, they may not know how to change anything.

circmand
06/18/2012, 12:29 PM
check the fluid level. If they didnt run through the gears after filling it can be low and cause that exact issue

Ldub
06/18/2012, 01:45 PM
Also, it doesn't seem like the power mode button changes the shifting anymore. I drove it in power mode for the last 10 years. It sucks to have the car lose the performance on the road. But since it isn't throwing codes, they may not know how to change anything.

Check the plug on the power mode switch (by removing the center console)...;)

pbkid
06/18/2012, 05:03 PM
Well, I guess I should have gotten out the tape measure before taking it in to the shop. They said someone must have backed into my front cladding and that's why it's rubbing...oh well. It didn't look damaged but maybe I didn't look closely enough.
oh you must live in southern cal, I dont think its possible to live there without a screwed up bumper or two. ;)

rowhard
06/18/2012, 07:36 PM
Figure out where it's rubbing yet? My 285/60/18 on a aftermarket wheel with a different offset then the OEM wheel has been known to rub when turning the bolt head that holds the cladding right at the bottom, back side of the wheel well. It's about two inches inside the wheel well. It is screwed into a sheet metal tab. With a BFH and a little touch, you can knock it in and no one would ever know:yesy:

captainmind
06/19/2012, 04:35 PM
Yes, I'm in SoCal. Im careful about where I park but the odds are against you. It wasn't bad enough to do noticeable damage but obviously bad enough to bend the cladding so my tire contacts it. I plan to take the front cladding off and see if I can fix whatever it is without going to a body shop.

Ldub, I asked the shop to check the tranny fluid level. Thanks for the recommendation. Hopefully that will help. It was so disappointing to pay a ton of money to have the transmission tebuolt and then get a vehicle that has less power than before. Our VXs deserve better

Ldub
06/19/2012, 06:46 PM
Ldub, I asked the shop to check the tranny fluid level. Thanks for the recommendation. Hopefully that will help. It was so disappointing to pay a ton of money to have the transmission tebuolt and then get a vehicle that has less power than before. Our VXs deserve better

Wazz'n me man, that was circman...:yesgray:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=259894&postcount=6

I reco'd checking the plug on the back side of the power mode switch...:smilewink

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=259896&postcount=7

captainmind
06/19/2012, 10:37 PM
Yes. Sorry circman. Credit where credit is due.

They checked the level and it was fine so still no solution to my neutered VX

captainmind
06/25/2012, 09:08 AM
Update: I pulled the front cladding. Didn't really do anything to it and put it back on. Now there is no more rubbing. Not sure what was going on but it's nice it was an easy fix.