PDA

View Full Version : Tie Rod Question / upgrade recommendations

ZeroSix
06/16/2012, 02:38 PM
Im confused.

I just Bought a VX a few hours ago (YAY!!!!!!), but it had mad alignment issues. So I took it to the alignment guys, and they tell me that they cannot align the vx due to the driverside tie rod was whack. He told me to go buy the assembly, end to end. since Im at it, do both sides.

My Understanding:
There are three parts to a tie rod assembly. Inner (toward middle), The Rod, and The outer (toward the wheel). The ends being inner/outer part.

I should be ordering two sets of inner and two sets of outer, which is 30 bucks each. (amazon)

My questions

Is the middle part / rod really that expensive? 121.00 each?
Does the brand / type for the mentioned parts matter?
When ordering ends, do you have to specify for what side?

Suggestions,

If the work is getting done , is there additional stuff i should change / upgrade.

My TIA, I will be around a lot. The VX I got is a good deal but far from perfect. I am really happy i finally got one.

Triathlete
06/16/2012, 02:46 PM
For heavy duty tie rods take a look at indipendant 4x...Matt can hook you up.

ZeroSix
06/16/2012, 03:10 PM
This might sound ghetto...

Who matt?

JoFotoz
06/16/2012, 04:46 PM
Matt runs Independant 4x

Here is a link to the heavy duty tie rods they offer...

https://www.independent4x.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?products_id=55

Well worth it if you are going to be doing any major off roading.
Call Matt, he's a great guy and will help sort your tie rod issue out.

Cheers

Jo

ZeroSix
06/16/2012, 05:35 PM
I actually want a street/ road urban warrior look. But why not... I think I will end up liking the idea I can. Hehe...... Can't stop looking at the car.... Love....

JoFotoz
06/16/2012, 09:40 PM
If its of any interest...

I have a stock pair of tie rods with less than 12,000 miles on them you can have.

I'll take your two old ones and $175 plus shipping.

Let me know.

Jo

ZeroSix
06/16/2012, 11:36 PM
Those are whole rods. End and middle pieces?

ZeroSix
06/17/2012, 06:37 AM
Just to add. I hear a loud clunk when the front end hits an incline like pulling in from the road to the driveway. Would that still be my tie rods?

Triathlete
06/17/2012, 09:45 AM
Could be if there is enough play in them

ZeroSix
06/17/2012, 09:51 AM
Other possibilities?

JoFotoz
06/17/2012, 12:21 PM
Yes..

Those are whole rods. End and middle pieces?

They are the entire factory rods and ends that I swapped out for heavy duty ones.

Jo

ZeroSix
06/17/2012, 08:59 PM
Jo,

Please PM me your info. But before that I still have a running Question. Does the tie rod matter if the body of the Vehicross is lifted? I beginning to suspect this particular vehicross is.....

Triathlete
06/17/2012, 11:14 PM
Should not matter with a body or suspension lift.

ZeroSix
06/18/2012, 05:37 AM
I was going through the independent 4x site, It seems that there are 3 sizes for the tie rods. does this matter? (short, medium, large)

called them: said long for the VX. ordering. thanks to all

VXorado
06/18/2012, 08:29 AM
Jo,

Please PM me your info. But before that I still have a running Question. Does the tie rod matter if the body of the Vehicross is lifted? I beginning to suspect this particular vehicross is.....

You can easily check the body mounts for plastic pucks to see if you have a body lift.

I ordered a set if HD tie rods in April and it took 3 weeks to recieve them in the mail. I haven't installed them yet but I can tell you they're big upgrade from oem (at least in size).

ZeroSix
06/18/2012, 09:03 AM
Just talked to gentleman from independent 4x. He said i would get them in 3 days. Replacing stabilizer bar links too.

How many hours is it to replace tie rods? mechanic is trying to charge me 4 hours. another said an hour.

JoFotoz
06/18/2012, 10:00 AM
Guess ya dont need mine!

Its an hour..IF..everything is pre lubed (liquid wrench etc)..
... and comes apart like it should.

jo