PDA

View Full Version : Loud

H3_VX
06/24/2012, 03:34 PM
My VX seems to be very loud. Now that my wife drives it around I can hear it from the outside more. Are the VX's usually very loud. I know I'm not dealing with a Cadillac here, but it seems over the top noise. It seems to mostly come from underneath. Anyway, I have to get my VX inspected on Tuesday so I'll ask the tech what he thinks. Only thing that sucks is, most techs don't know what the hell it is and most have not worked on Isuzu's.

RickOKC
06/24/2012, 05:20 PM
I'm trying to find a way to describe what I hear... To compare to another vehicle, I had a 99 Firebird (V6) that had a fairly deep burble when first started or revved. The VX is not as loud or deep but still has a nice, throaty, sports car tone. The VX engine is louder than any other vehicle I've owned. I haven't often been outside VX when someone else has driven it, but I never though it sounded unusually loud.

H3_VX
06/24/2012, 05:39 PM
I'm trying to find a way to describe what I hear... To compare to another vehicle, I had a 99 Firebird (V6) that had a fairly deep burble when first started or revved. The VX is not as loud or deep but still has a nice, throaty, sports car tone. The VX engine is louder than any other vehicle I've owned. I haven't often been outside VX when someone else has driven it, but I never though it sounded unusually loud.

IMHO, it should not sound this loud. It just makes me nervous. Also, it is hard because you know that chances are you're never gonna run into someone who owns a VX to compare. LOL!

RickOKC
06/24/2012, 07:04 PM
IMHO, it should not sound this loud. It just makes me nervous. Also, it is hard because you know that chances are you're never gonna run into someone who owns a VX to compare. LOL!
Ha ha... that's the truth! I had to make a 500 mile road trip while shopping to see another VX (and also meet another member, Workmeister.) Later I found a local VX for sale (it was an abused half-wreck so that wasn't a good framer of reference.) Then had to drive 1,000+ miles to Moab to meet a bunch of other members and see about a dozen VXeseses. I thought most sounded just like mine except one or two owners who intentionally bought louder than stock mufflers.

Hey, do this... Click "Quick Links" in the menu bar and select "Members List." Then select "Search Members" and "Advanced Search." Fill in the 2-digit state code, select Search Now and THEN click on the "Last Visit" header to sort. Repeat and check other nearby state codes until you find someone who is a member willing to take a quick road trip and meet another member. Good news, only 15% of VX owners are biters / zombie virus carriers! :laughing:

evillecutter
06/24/2012, 08:47 PM
check the ac compressor it gets really loud when its going bad when i replaced mine it got quiet - if it is the compressor dont go by the autoparts store books check the threads on here and find out which one you need - also, when mine is not fully warmed up it sounds a little funky

Daly
06/25/2012, 11:39 AM
I would say the VX is a loud vehicle. I know I hear my truck from a half a block away when my wife is driving it. Personally I like the throaty sound. When I got it I thought the muffler was shot, changed it and it only got a little softer. I have heard maybe two others and they are the same.

H3_VX
06/25/2012, 12:27 PM
I would say the VX is a loud vehicle. I know I hear my truck from a half a block away when my wife is driving it. Personally I like the throaty sound. When I got it I thought the muffler was shot, changed it and it only got a little softer. I have heard maybe two others and they are the same.

Thanks for the info. My muffler seems a little rusted anyway, maybe i'll replace it with something else. any suggestions?

circmand
06/25/2012, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the info. My muffler seems a little rusted anyway, maybe i'll replace it with something else. any suggestions?

First step find a experienced muffler shop that does pipe bending as most will look it up in the computer tell you only muffler is OEM at $500 and wait for it from Japan. A custom exhaust place will be able to fit an universal muffler on existing exhaust

H3_VX
06/27/2012, 11:13 AM
Well, just got back from inspection. The loud noise I was experiencing was a leak in my flex pipe, an almost $1100 part. Luckily my GMC dealer recommended a very good shop that does welding and who also just got a brand new bender. Yay. It'll cost me $125 including labor instead of the $1200 it would have. Also found out I have a rust hole on my left rear rocker that need a piece of sheet metal welded onto it. No biggie like the exhaust leak though. I was sweating it out for a couple hours for sure this morning. Also learned i'm idling a little high according to the tech. Hopefully it will be because of the leak, but i'm also putting a new IAC valve that I bought a few months ago on Ebay into it. Hopefully those two things will correct the problem. Damn, this tech was thorough.

pbkid
06/27/2012, 11:32 AM
Glad it was an easy, cheap fix for you.

H3_VX
06/27/2012, 12:54 PM
Glad it was an easy, cheap fix for you.

Usually for me that $125 would be cheap. But right now, $125 seems like $1M with the whole house situation. That is eating up my savings account. LOL!

89Vette
06/27/2012, 06:54 PM
flex pipe, an almost $1100 part

Flex pipes don't cost that much. We you quoting OEM price?

They sell those as places like Carquest. Not terribly expensive.

H3_VX
06/28/2012, 06:03 AM
I'm hoping my high idle is because of the leak, if not i'm gonna begin the process of finding out what it is. I'll probably start with cleaning the MAF, cleaning the EGR and replacing the IAC. If this lasts too long could it badly damage anything?

pbkid
06/28/2012, 06:59 AM
I'm hoping my high idle is because of the leak, if not i'm gonna begin the process of finding out what it is. I'll probably start with cleaning the MAF, cleaning the EGR and replacing the IAC. If this lasts too long could it badly damage anything?

Just waste some gasoline :) (which I suppose could badly damage your wallet)

H3_VX
06/28/2012, 12:25 PM
Just waste some gasoline :) (which I suppose could badly damage your wallet)

ahh, yes, i've noticed more gasoline usage lately.

H3_VX
06/30/2012, 10:05 AM
Can this be used as a temporary filler for a rust hole in my rocker?
http://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=A0PDoX2PMe9PgycAHIiJzbkF;_ylu=X3oDMTBlMT Q4cGxyBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1n?back=http%3A%2F%2Fimage s.search.yahoo.com%2Fsearch%2Fimages%3Fp%3Dseafoam %26fr%3Dyfp-t-701-1%26fr2%3Dpiv-web%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D5&w=640&h=480&imgurl=pictureposter.audiworld.com%2F54666%2Fseafo am.jpg&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.audiworld.com%2Fshowthrea d.php%3Ft%3D312477&size=115.6+KB&name=SeaFoam+Motor+Treatment+instructions+for+the+ 1.8t+and+2.8+%28linked+...&p=seafoam&oid=a267fc989a689a014e1183d710c288ce&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t-701-1&tt=SeaFoam%2BMotor%2BTreatment%2Binstructions%2Bfo r%2Bthe%2B1.8t%2Band%2B2.8%2B%2528linked%2B...&b=0&ni=88&no=5&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=11jmk38d7&sigb=132ptao2n&sigi=11d46tqs4&.crumb=mFQW6n4l61q

H3_VX
09/22/2012, 05:32 PM
My high idle was corrected by cleaning my IAC yesterday. That also fixed the hard shifting out of park I was experiencing. But now I'm getting a clicking sound coming from my brakes when I almost come to a complete stop. Started happening after I left the shop yesterday. It sounds like when you would spin the wheel on the Price Is Right or The Wheel Of Fortune. LOL! Any ideas where to begin looking? FYI, the tech cleaned my IAC, MAF and also found that I was missing the vaccum hose that leads from my fuel pressure regulator.

blacksambo
09/22/2012, 05:56 PM
What's an IAC?? I know, stupid question.

Regarding noise...look towards your EGR valve. Is it tightened down properly, you'll need a shorty 22mm from Sears to do the lower pipe. Mine was making a racket there and a tightening fixed it. Just some ideas.

H3_VX
09/22/2012, 06:21 PM

Regarding noise...look towards your EGR valve. Is it tightened down properly, you'll need a shorty 22mm from Sears to do the lower pipe. Mine was making a racket there and a tightening fixed it. Just some ideas.

Idle Air Control.

VxSport
09/22/2012, 06:47 PM
A Fauly IAC should set of a engine code too. I replaced ours around 90K due to code error.

H3_VX
09/22/2012, 07:39 PM
A Fauly IAC should set of a engine code too. I replaced ours around 90K due to code error.

I had no codes, but the tech also reset my ecm after perfforming all of these services.

H3_VX
09/22/2012, 07:39 PM

I'll check the egr. thanks.