PDA

View Full Version : best place to buy mode selector switch??

bearandbee
06/27/2012, 09:06 AM
VX is shifting very hard and my lights on dash shift selector are out. Also blinkers don't work, which I assume is related somehow. Anybody know the cheapest place to buy the mode selector switch? Many thanks!

SilverBullet75
06/27/2012, 09:48 AM
Replaced the mode selector on 3 VX's.. never seen the turn signal issue at the same time.
Interesting...

vt_maverick
06/27/2012, 10:05 AM
^ What he said. Mode selector switch problems are generally characterized by shift selector lights that blink randomly, not ones that don't work at all. And the blinkers should be controlled by a different circuit altogether.

bearandbee
06/27/2012, 10:08 AM
Well I found the switch locally at autozone for 105 but maybe my diagnosis is incorrect.

MSHardeman
06/27/2012, 11:17 AM
You could try and clean your existing mode selector switch:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=14031&highlight=mode+selector+switch

Probably cheaper than buying a new one. Just to be sure, check the transmission fluid level first to make sure there is enough in there as low fluid level could contribute to the hard shifting (but not the selector lights being out).

Also, I'm with the others; don't think the turn signals not working is related to the hard shifting. Must be just a coincidence. Do the marker lights come on at all? Maybe your blinker is just blown?

tom4bren
06/27/2012, 11:22 AM
Also check all fuses. The dash lights for tranny should not be on same circuit as turn signals but if fuse goes out then a ground loop can cause paranormal situations.

bearandbee
06/27/2012, 01:55 PM
AFTER doing some more searching, it may be my wiring harness is causing part of the problems. A few weeks ago, I tucked it up higher because it was melting on exhaust. It could be melting to the wires in new location. Or I blew a fuse along with the mode selector switch going bad.

bearandbee
06/27/2012, 07:24 PM
I have a blown fuse, its the one for the turn signal! I replaced it and it instantly blew when i tried to crank. The green light on park turned on for a second before the fuse blew. The green light was off when I drove car and when it shifted so hard. So what could cause this? Does the mode selector need to be replaced or is it strictly electrical issue?

SilverBullet75
06/27/2012, 09:39 PM
I think your electrical issue is causing the mode selector problem. Find the source of the short, fix it, and I think the mode selector will work fine again.

tom4bren
06/28/2012, 04:59 AM
What he said X2

vt_maverick
06/28/2012, 06:14 AM
Did you put high-temp wrap around the wires?

bearandbee
06/28/2012, 10:10 AM
I'm going to get some high temp wrap and try to find the issue this weekend. Hopefully I won't need the mode selector switch!