PDA

View Full Version : power button?

bssage
08/15/2012, 05:20 PM
I am Trying to figure out what this specifically does. Yes you knuckleheads: I know it gives you more power. So nip that in the bud:winko:

The owners manual only mentions to use it when you need more power. Well NS. But I would like to know what it is actually doing. And any cost associated with using it.

Gussie2000
08/15/2012, 05:41 PM
I am Trying to figure out what this specifically does. Yes you knuckleheads: I know it gives you more power. So nip that in the bud:winko:

The owners manual only mentions to use it when you need more power. Well NS. But I would like to know what it is actually doing. And any cost associated with using it.

The power button doesn't provide more power,it just changes the timing of the trans shifting points on the RPM band

vt_maverick
08/15/2012, 07:10 PM
There's a pretty good explanation of it here, just fast forward the video to about 1:15.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6lKJwfUlk4

:)

bssage
08/15/2012, 07:22 PM
The power button doesn't provide more power,it just changes the timing of the trans shifting points on the RPM band

And that was my assumption: But just an assumption for me. The owners manual is really vague about it. I think its a two sentence explanation. But reading archived posts. There are claims that mileage is the same (or better:confused:) So if that is the case. The rpm shift point change must still be well below its limits.

It just seems to me that more of anything I.E. food, wife, or power typically has a cost. Whether it is fuel or maintenance or whatever.

I have not used the button yet other than to see if the lights light.

WormGod
08/16/2012, 07:01 AM
IMHO, it is worthy if you need the added torque during your driving conditions and is handy for quick accel and passing. This can also be accomplished by shifting gears manually though.

If you are just chilling fat and cruising along, or in traffic, it isn't really a necessary feature.

I personally just find that it shifts smoother with it OFF and rarely have any need for low line shifts. When I do, my left hand knows where the gear shifter is anyways. ;)

JAMAS
08/16/2012, 07:43 AM
... my left hand knows where the gear shifter is anyways. ;)

Left hand?

WormGod
08/17/2012, 07:16 AM
Left hand?

You didnt know? I have a JDM.

:yesy:

Actually, I have to reach across and change gears with my left cause my right hand holds my phone up to my left ear.

I even use my paddle shifters on occasion.

And on even more rare occasions, I get called out for gaffes.

:bwgy:

JAMAS
08/17/2012, 07:27 AM
You didnt know? I have a JDM.

<RimShot/>

Actually, I have to reach across and change gears with my left cause my right hand holds my phone up to my left ear.

<RimShot/>

I even use my paddle shifters on occasion.

<RimShot/>

And on even more rare occasions, I get called out for gaffes.

:bwgy:

<RimShot/>
wormgod, ladies and gentlemen

Have a good night, drive safe, dont forget to tip the waitress...:bwgy:

mdwyer
08/17/2012, 06:09 PM
And that was my assumption: But just an assumption for me. The owners manual is really vague about it. I think its a two sentence explanation. But reading archived posts. There are claims that mileage is the same (or better:confused:) So if that is the case. The rpm shift point change must still be well below its limits.

It just seems to me that more of anything I.E. food, wife, or power typically has a cost. Whether it is fuel or maintenance or whatever.

I have not used the button yet other than to see if the lights light.

Yeah, on a modern car they invert the logic and call it an 'Eco-Mode' button, and you turn it OFF when you want the car to stop racing to 4th gear and trying its damnedness to stay there.

As for the other button, Winter Mode will cause it to drop to 3rd gear and stay there until you reach a certain speed. After you cross that speed, it will turn itself off and refuse to turn back on until you slow down again. It is sort of the Anti-Power Button. It makes it so that you crawl away from stoplights slowly instead of just going nowhere with all four wheels spinning.

bssage
08/18/2012, 07:38 AM
thanks for the info

Its nice to have a place to go and get answers.

Worm god. You missed the golden opportunity. That was the lead into the how's you mom's piano lessons going gag.

89Vette
08/18/2012, 12:35 PM
thanks for the info...You missed the golden opportunity.

You mean the "golden opportunity" to link you to the Vehicross.INFO page where you'd get a complete answer?

http://vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Encyclopedia&op=viewarticle&id=25

Scott Larson
08/18/2012, 08:50 PM
When you push that button, you should hear the voice of Captain Kirk yelling over the the comm to Scotty, "More power Scotty!!". You should then hear Scotty reply, "I'm givin' 'er all she's got Captain, if I give 'er any more, she's gonna blow!!". If you do not feel an immediate rush of power to warp speed, you should abandon ship, post haste...:_steering :rotate:

89Vette
08/18/2012, 09:30 PM
When you push that button, you should hear .... Scotty reply, "I'm givin' 'er all she's got Captain, if I give 'er any more, she's gonna blow!!".

Perfect! :razzgray: