PDA

View Full Version : Sick VX (engine blown) I want ideas :)

Cdub
08/16/2012, 09:51 PM
So there comes a time where the heart dies in everyone's car. Mine came just recently and I'm thinking like a mad man trying to pick a good thought on the path I take. My engine has a loud loud knocking, it sounds like a rod (I have a audio clip of it). And no I haven't been hot rodding my VX. I do weekly checks on the oil so I was surprised when this came about.

Selling is not a option for me I love my car to much that being said I plan to put a good chunk of money to keep this bad boy running. I'm currently in no hurry so this is defiantly something I will spend my time on thinking about. Like I said this is a '99 I waited 11 years to own one and I plan to own it till it is that rusty monster you see still tearing down the road around town from the 60's. My personal dilemma is do I stay as close to the OEM route? Or go down the road it's time to raise and drop some power in this bad boy and custom it out?

I have read allot of older post and I'm kinda mixed feeling seeing that the end story for allot of the projects. I want to know from start to finish how allot of them went, and are currently going at the finish line. I just cant find a solid thread that gives me a good outlook or a clear idea. To many threads on this subject seems jump up and down. I would also like pros and cons, and maybe just make one thread to help clear up allot of mine and I'm sure allot others questions. So I would like to get opinions and facts. For those who have done the upgrade and went down the no OEM/Rebuild route please help me with these questions.

What kinda of parts did you use engine, tranny, etc:
How long/many miles have you driven:
How long did it take:
How much money did you spend:
Pros:
Cons:
Overall are you happy? what would you have done different?:
Did it pass the Moab test?

I know its a book of a post but thank you in advance for your time and opinions I look forward to reading them all! Feel free to add to the list of the questions I should of asked and didn't.

Gussie2000
08/16/2012, 11:35 PM
If you already decided to keep the bad boy running most of these questions aren't necesary to begin with.

Based on your questions you don't seem to be that sure about what step to take.
As you may already know this is isuzu 1rst 3.5L. Is a stroke version of the older 3.2L

Unfortunately isuzu engineers were not that accurate designing and testing this engine so most of us had to pay for that lack of accuracy.

If you gonna keep the bad boy one of my suggestions is to rebuilt the engine with good/quality parts,not neccesarily OEM,instead research companies that supplies rebuild kits that meets or exceeds OEM standard specs,especially if they produce a kit that gets rid of the oil issue.

You can also get a 2002-04 low mileage axiom's long block engine with at least 3 to 5 years/unlimited mileage warranty with the "X" as the eight digit on the VIN number.

If you have spare $$$$ i'll also do a transmmission overhaul so you will be driving a almost brand-new VX.

How much $$$ members had spent in the past to overhaul their VX's engines is relative as the cost to rebuild varies from state to state and from time to time.

How long it could take to get the job done also depends,if your mech gets into it with no delays you can probably have the engine put together in few days

What kind of parts other members used is also relative in my opinion,but one thing for sure the more new parts you get in there the better

Pros & cons ?

The pro is that you will be still driving a VX.

The con and probably the worst one is your engine go BOOM again

If you can't bear with the fact about another isuzu engine then read,research and put together all the facts about a non-isuzu engine,there are few members that did the miracle and are satisfied with the happy endind. (not that happy ending your twisted mind ) ;)

Cdub
08/17/2012, 12:21 AM
Your right at the fact I'm lost with the steps to take :confused:. When I first got my VX I wanted to do so much to it, and take its original look and feel away. But I choose not to since it was awesome as is, and I was gonna buy another to actually fix up and make look like a bamf. But now that its running on life support I'm sketchy if now is the time to truly over haul it. Since I do know ( I was saving) I will be buying a new one sooner or later (chances are later now :P).

I think to much :P

SilverBullet75
08/17/2012, 06:57 AM
Before writing off the engine, search the forum for "timing tensioner".
The symptoms of a bad tensioner sound JUST like a rod... But much cheaper.

CowboyErik
09/06/2012, 10:32 PM
lots of parts available, search by millage, location, price, car-parts.com; I am looking at replacing my transmission, intercooler blew and it took the transmission with it I am fairly certain; I'm in cincinnati, dozens of tranny's available, guaranteed, but no labor guarantee, it is works for 3months, maybe it will last forever, dunno, roll the bones! or spend 3K on rebuild or new replacement

VX KAT
09/06/2012, 10:58 PM
lots of parts available, search by millage, location, price, car-parts.com;

another good and easy site is: mypartshop.com
I've found they sometimes show parts that car-parts.com doesn't (probably vise versa too, not sure). I find it an easier format to use.
Hover your mouse over the right column and it shows the full address and phone

Bob Barker
09/07/2012, 04:03 AM
Locate a totaled ford 4x4 w/ ecoboost engine/tranny and swap the entire driveline into your vx! better mpg and 300+hp!

Gussie2000
09/07/2012, 08:51 AM
Ecoboost engine,bob ?

That sounds like a lot of work to get that done.

The 2004 colorado engine is also a good alternative and easier to get done !!!

Bob Barker
09/07/2012, 12:16 PM
I'm sure it would be a TON of work.

Riff Raff
09/08/2012, 07:16 AM
My first option would be to take your VX to at least three(3) reputable repair auto shops and have a certified mechanic give it a thorough diagnosis as to what the actual problem is. It could be as simple as a bad "timing tensioner" (as another poster has mentioned), causing a nasty sound.

If after at least three(3) different certified mechanics all say your engine is toast, then I'd go V-8 power-- see thread below:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=22505

Then, ship your VX off to Aberdeen, MD via D.A.S. (Dependable Auto Shippers) and have AutoPros make the V-8 conversion and return ship it back to you. No brainer.

:bgwb:

Cdub
09/09/2012, 12:39 AM
I do have a pal that owns a shop that does complete restoration on classic cars. He has yet to look at it he has been on vacation, but I will trust his facts. I talked him into letting me us a bay of his and possibly buy dinner, beer, and computer service in trade for him and his guys for free work, I just have to provide the money for the parts :D. Sadly its hard to find honest mechanics here in Vegas. I have actually had it looked it for a ridiculous fees, the guys said the block has been cracked and was asking for close to $10k

The constant religious factor of me putting oil and checking it every week is kinda getting tiring, so I'm gonna just replace and upgrade. I have actually shown him allot of the VX's on here and I have a pretty good idea of the needed funds. We are going to be doing more then replacing the engine, we are doing allot of fun things.

I have been following the AutoPros thread its cool, I just think a V8 is more then I need and more work then we intend. As soon as we get all the stuff bought and in one location I will make a thread to follow the re-build. For now I have to get to work and start fixing a sh*t ton of computers and tech work.

Thank you to those with feedback :D