PDA

View Full Version : mpg improved by computer chip

djvx
08/23/2012, 08:08 PM
Can't the computer brainbox on the vx be adjusted for better fuel economy? If there's chips for increasing hp why couldnt there be a chip to increase mpg. I can't afford to drive mine on weekend getaways. 140 miles one way so 280 miles x 14 miles to a gallon. 20 gallons x $4 a gallon. Thats 80 bucks for a stupid little trip! Idiot engineers couldnt make a 6 cyl get better than 15mpg. Or in my case more like 9 mpg on average non hiway.

Note: this site was around long before I ever joined and I will follow the rules, but it's very hard not being able to swear, so many times I want to go off on a diatribe of f-bombs, m/f bombs etc.

blacksambo
08/23/2012, 08:37 PM
You should be able to do better than 9mpg? We have two '99's and routinely average 18 to 20 mpg. Ther may be things you need to fix like your oxygen senors etc.

SilverBullet75
08/23/2012, 09:16 PM
I just replaced my Fuel Pressure Regulator and gained 2 mpg, plus a much smoother/responsive feel.

HeckaTrebeka
08/23/2012, 09:24 PM
My 01 is averaging 18 right now, but that's because my TOD system keeps kicking on. I just installed a TOD off switch tonight. It was pretty easy. Now hopefully I'll be seeing a little better MPGs... ;)

If you're getting 9 mpg in town, your tires better be gigantic! :)

Gussie2000
08/23/2012, 09:52 PM
You got understand !!

Back in the late 90's early 2000's fuel price wasn't a issue as today so automakers didn't had MPG as a priority.

Actually if you check vehicules made from 1999/2002 the trend was similar.

Toyota 4runner 6 cylinders,nissan pathfinder V6,ford explorer V6,chevy blazer etc was all giving almost the same average mileage.

Ldub
08/24/2012, 06:20 AM
I just installed a TOD off switch tonight. It was pretty easy. Now hopefully I'll be seeing a little better MPGs.

FWIW, without selectable front hubs, all the same parts are creating parasitic drag, wether the TOD system is powered up or not.

Ldub
08/24/2012, 06:46 AM
Oh, BTW...there is a TON of useless snake oil/borderline voodoo stuff on ebay, claiming to increase hp & mileage...http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_kw=chip+Isuzu

This is my personal favorite...http://www.ebay.com/itm/BLUE-2-5-to-3-FUEL-SAVER-AIR-INTAKE-SUPERCHARGER-TURBO-CHIP-FAN-/300767588029?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AIsuzu&hash=item4607252ebd&vxp=mtr

While it is quite probable that it will decrease HP due to reduced flow & increased turbulrence, at least it might sound kinda like a turbo...:laughing:

VXorado
08/24/2012, 07:55 AM
9 MPG is terrible. I still average 14-15 MPG with the 35s and a lot of added weight. Might be worth tuning it up and looking for issues.

My 01 is averaging 18 right now, but that's because my TOD system keeps kicking on. I just installed a TOD off switch tonight. It was pretty easy. Now hopefully I'll be seeing a little better MPGs... ;)

It won't make much difference in MPG. Just slightly.

HeckaTrebeka
08/24/2012, 09:24 AM
It won't make much difference in MPG. Just slightly.
I'm performing my highly reliable MPG test and I'll update everybody on what I get after the switch install.

89Vette
08/24/2012, 04:09 PM
I just replaced my Fuel Pressure Regulator and gained 2 mpg, plus a much smoother/responsive feel.

This issue is definitely reported as the best diag/repair for the MPG blues! It's where the OP should start!

After that, djvx should consider (as LDub said) that there's really NO SUCH THING as chips that make factory cars create more HP. In the rare occasion that actually worked, you'd be looking at a chip that increased fueling. (You get a bit more power with more fuel.

But, the opposite isn't recommended. The cylinders run hotter when you lean things out. You might be able to find someone to do it -- if you're willing to burn up your valves. NO THANKS.

It is what it is. Except djvx: Yours is broke. Fix it. 9mpg isn't normal.

89Vette
08/24/2012, 09:02 PM
And, if you don't like the post above....
http://www.gfchips.com/isuzuvehicross.aspx

Then tell us what you say to them 3wks after installation (uncensored of course)!

HeckaTrebeka
08/25/2012, 12:11 PM
And, if you don't like the post above....
http://www.gfchips.com/isuzuvehicross.aspx

WOW!! 60HP gain for only $70 bucks?!? What a deal! Why doesn't everybody do this?!?

*sarcasm*

djvx
08/25/2012, 11:18 PM
Milwaukee area where I live is very congested alot. I truly get horrible city mpg, but my highway mpg seems to be inline with others. I have big tires but they are a lightweight tire for their size. I have a rack with the spare on the roof, its a big spare so there isn't room for it inside. That could be an issue too. Plus all you can buy is ethanol crap gas which gives worse mpg. I will check on a few of those tips you guys offered. Thanks for the suggestions!:thumbup:

Mile High VX
08/26/2012, 07:00 AM
Milwaukee area where I live is very congested alot. I truly get horrible city mpg, but my highway mpg seems to be inline with others. I have big tires but they are a lightweight tire for their size. I have a rack with the spare on the roof, its a big spare so there isn't room for it inside. That could be an issue too. Plus all you can buy is ethanol crap gas which gives worse mpg. I will check on a few of those tips you guys offered. Thanks for the suggestions!:thumbup:

Are you taking the mileage variance that your tires cause when calculating your mileage. I know that I have to add 5% to my miles driven before I calculate my mileage to make it accurate because of my tire size.

BigSwede
08/27/2012, 07:53 AM
Idiot engineers couldnt make a 6 cyl get better than 15mpg.

Oh they can...when it's not hitched to a 2+ ton vehicle.

I can't think of a vehicle with heavy-duty 4WD running gear, fully boxed ladder frame, etc., that gets significantly better mileage.

HeckaTrebeka
08/27/2012, 07:57 AM
I can't think of a vehicle with heavy-duty 4WD running gear, fully boxed ladder frame, etc., that gets significantly better mileage.

Would have been cool as a diesel.

RodL
02/05/2013, 04:45 AM
Took my first extended trip with my New (to me) VX. It wasn't that far, just from the East Coast to the West Coast. (of Florida) and back. Am happy to report getting 19.22 MPG on that tank of fuel. I was a bit concerned about the mileage from the two tanks I had gone through before the trip (and really the only others since the purchase), but now I can say I am pretty happy. Running around town and teaching my daughter the finer points of driving I have gotten 12 to 13 mpg. On the trip home after purchase (in Tampa) I got 15.

Rod

ALC1717
02/05/2013, 04:59 AM
Last Year I Installed a Computer Chip I Purchased Online To Increase My MPG. At Most My VX MPG Increased Insignificantly I Could Not Even Tell The Difference. When I Tried To Get My New York State Annual Vehicle Inspection, My VX Kept FAILING Inspection. It Did Not Pass Inspection Until I Removed The Computer Chip!

Jolly Roger VX'er
02/07/2013, 03:48 PM
I swear that my VX is the only vehicle I have owned that gets better mpg with hotter weather. I got my best mileage on I15 out in the Mohave desert @ 95 degrees and relatively flat highway allowed me to get 23 mpg with Bridgestone Revo A/T's iirc 265-75-r16. Yes, repl fuel pressure regulator if it needs repl gives you a couple mpg too.