PDA

View Full Version : What kind of LED products would you like to see for your VX?

clipper 03 rodeo
09/04/2012, 12:56 PM
Hey all, i've been working hard to provide you guys with great deals on LED off-road light bars. Since I have had quite a few buyers from here I thought I would ask..

What kind of LED products would you like to see to put on your VX? It can be anything from interior foot lighting to rock lights to put under your rig. Let me know what you would be interested in and i'll see what I can do to help you out.

-Max@ledbarsusa

tom4bren
09/04/2012, 01:47 PM
Clipper,

My brother is building up an electric car. What kind of headlight conversion would you recommend for that application? Power consumption will play a more important role that illumination (but still needs to pass Mississippi safety).

Tom

JAMAS
09/04/2012, 01:53 PM
I have replacement LED dome lights in mine. Perhaps you can sell those.

There are different sizes. The ones for the rear view mirror lights and the center dome light. I put reds in my dome light, my tailgate area lights(mod) and the passenger side of the rear view mirror lights. I have a bright white on the driver side of the rear view mirror lights.

clipper 03 rodeo
09/04/2012, 02:18 PM
Clipper,

My brother is building up an electric car. What kind of headlight conversion would you recommend for that application? Power consumption will play a more important role that illumination (but still needs to pass Mississippi safety).

Tom

Tom, I can tell you HID's in a proper bi-xenon projector would be the best for bright lighting, and low power consumption for headlamps. A simple 35W HID kit would be perfect, and it would have low/high beams. The thing is retrofitting projectors into any headlights is actually illegal believe it or not. Most inspection places won't care, but if yours is strict then it probably wouldnt be a good idea as far as inspection goes.

clipper 03 rodeo
09/04/2012, 02:27 PM
I have replacement LED dome lights in mine. Perhaps you can sell those.

There are different sizes. The ones for the rear view mirror lights and the center dome light. I put reds in my dome light, my tailgate area lights(mod) and the passenger side of the rear view mirror lights. I have a bright white on the driver side of the rear view mirror lights.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have LED's in pretty much every spot you can think of in my Rodeo too. All interior lights (mirror, dome, cargo, gauge cluster, ect..) and I also have LED's in my blinkers, brake lights, reverse lights, license plate lights, ect.. :happyface

I thought about getting a bunch of different types of LED bulbs, but since they are fairly cheap already and easy to get I probably wouldnt do that well selling them. My prices would most likely be up there with most others like Autolumination and such so it most likely wouldnt be worth it.

I sent VXorado a set of my CREE 5w LED projector reverse light bulbs to test for me. If they fit good and are plenty bright (which i'm sure they will be) i'll get those up for sale as well. I did have them on the site for a bit, but I took them down for now since I want to see the output of them before I sell too many of them.

JoFotoz
09/04/2012, 02:47 PM
How about an LED engine bay light?...

...can it handle the heat?

Jo

Etfren
09/04/2012, 02:59 PM
I was thinking about some LED license plate lights. I need to replace mine soon as one is burnt out and the other is not far behind. Also interested in those reverse lights because some more light back there would be great. Granted mine aren't even working right now for some reason, but brighter is better!

Bob Barker
09/04/2012, 04:38 PM
I'd really like to find something that's very close to "plug and play" for a cargo light. I hate not being able to see crap back there after dark!

And I like the engine bay LED option, one on a cable would be awesome!

clipper 03 rodeo
09/04/2012, 05:39 PM
I like the engine bay light idea. I'll do some research and try to find something that would work well for that.

Wait, so your VX's don't have a cargo light? My Rodeo has the lights in the rear view mirror, a center dome light, and a cargo light all the way in the back.

Here is my Rodeo's interior with all the LED's..

http://i42.tinypic.com/dol15t.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/25r2wzd.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/14eb482.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/fk5dsk.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/1zq90mg.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/27wyx69.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/2q8ypso.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/15doosh.jpg

JoFotoz
09/04/2012, 05:44 PM
X2...

I'd really like to find something that's very close to "plug and play" for a cargo light. I hate not being able to see crap back there after dark!

And I like the engine bay LED option, one on a cable would be awesome!

Plug and play cargo light would be awesome.

And putting the engine bay light on a coil cable with a magnetic base would rock...

...it would then be dual purpose, as an external camping/wheel changing etc light source too.

Jo

clipper 03 rodeo
09/04/2012, 05:46 PM
I was thinking about some LED license plate lights. I need to replace mine soon as one is burnt out and the other is not far behind. Also interested in those reverse lights because some more light back there would be great. Granted mine aren't even working right now for some reason, but brighter is better!

I have some CREE LED 194 bulbs here in my hand that will work for your license plate.. Do VX's have 2 lights for the plate or just 1?

Arkane
09/04/2012, 05:47 PM
Man, those interior lights are gonna fade the fabric :)

Mile High VX
09/04/2012, 07:10 PM
I have some CREE LED 194 bulbs here in my hand that will work for your license plate.. Do VX's have 2 lights for the plate or just 1?

2 lights on the plate for the VX.

VXorado
09/04/2012, 11:13 PM
+1 on interior lighting

clipper 03 rodeo
09/05/2012, 05:40 AM
Would someone be kind enough to take a few pics of the inside of the rear of their VX? I wanna see how the area is in the cargo area back there so I can weigh my options on what I can do for extra lighting back there.

Mile High VX
09/05/2012, 06:45 AM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN03411.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN03391.JPG

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSCN03401.JPG

I added a OEM light at the rear cargo area for mine.

clipper 03 rodeo
09/05/2012, 07:51 AM
That looks great, good idea to use an extra OEM light so they match.

I can easily get some nice LED's to put in your guys' dome lights. I'll probably order some of them tonight to test out. I'm also on the search for alternative lighting for your cargo areas since I know VX parts are hard to find, and finding an OEM dome light might not be the easiest thing.

EDIT: Just looked on Isuzuparts.com and an OEM dome light assembly is $65 plus shipping. Ouch..

clipper 03 rodeo
09/05/2012, 08:16 AM
Alright I think I might have found something that will work well for your cargo area lighting. I'll see if I can get a few samples shipped to me so I can test them out to see the ouput of them.

clipper 03 rodeo
09/06/2012, 08:40 AM
I just want to run this by you guys to see if there is any interest. I found these 10W LED Pods that I think would be great for any kind of extra lighting anywhere you need it. They are also waterproof so having them in the engine bay or under your rig for any reason would be fine. You could mount them in your cargo area, under the dash for footwell lighting, mount them on the back for even more light when reversing, or for trailer lighting, ect..

You would also have a choice to mount them with double sided tape, or bolting them on. They have pre-threaded holes in the back of them, and will also include studs you can screw into them so you can bolt them wherever you want for a permanent mount. Each pod will have 35" of wire coming from them, if you need more wire you will have to provide your own, and you will have to get your own switch for them if you're powering them that way.

They are the biggest pods like these available on the market right now, and the highest wattage for the most light. They are 4cm (1.57") in diameter.

The price on these would be $50 shipped for a set of 2 of them. Would anyone be interested in these? If so then i'll buy a few sets to test out for you all. I'll post a pic of what they look like later today.

clipper 03 rodeo
09/06/2012, 10:50 AM
Here are some basic pics of how the pods will look..

http://i48.tinypic.com/2afaj9u.jpg
http://i48.tinypic.com/muwtjl.jpg

Bob Barker
09/06/2012, 11:39 AM
How hard is it to wire power to these, and then something to interupt the power when back door is closed, and complete circuit when back door is open? That's what I would like, something automatic that I don't have to push on/off.

clipper 03 rodeo
09/06/2012, 11:54 AM
Right now does your dome light come on when you have the back door open? If so then you could just wire one or both of these to the exisitng dome light wires. You could just have to fish them through the headliner back to wherever you mounted the pods. Then whenever you open the back door they will illuminate automatically along with the dome light.

Bob Barker
09/06/2012, 01:30 PM
No the dome light doesn't come in in VX's when the back door is opened.

clipper 03 rodeo
09/06/2012, 01:53 PM
Crud, so the whole inside of your VX is completely dark with just the back door open. Now I know why you guys want some lights back there haha.

If you wanted any kind of lights to turn on automatically when the door is opened, you would have to install some kind of push sensor on the rear door to activate and deactivate them. I know it sounds complicated but it's probably easier than you think. I'll do some research and see if I can find some nice switches, and maybe put together a cargo light kit for you guys that turns on/off when the door is opened and closed.

clipper 03 rodeo
09/06/2012, 02:33 PM
Okay I found some spring loaded door switches, but there is just 1 problem now. You would have to drill into your VX to install the switch back there. I know a lot of VX guys aren't willing to drill into their rare VX just for some automatic cargo lights. So I doubt I would sell them since nobody would want to do that.

If you really wanted them automatic you could still buy these LED pods for the light source, but then you'd have to source your own door jamb switch and hook/wire it up yourself. Honestly if it were me, i'd just connect them to a little switch that's easily accessable from the cargo area that you can flip on if you need the extra light. You could even get one of those little switches that light up when off so you can always find the switch.

Bob Barker
09/06/2012, 05:49 PM
Persnally I wouldn't hesitate to put a hole in the rear for an automatic on/off switch.

But if it's not something you would sell I can still do that on my own, or go for an on/off switch and hide it somewhere, even accesible from inside would be good.

clipper 03 rodeo
09/07/2012, 06:57 AM
Yeah I feel like people would hold me liable if they drilled in the wrong place, screwed it up, ect.. and I don't want to put myself in that kind of position just to sell a few products. I'll see if I can get a few sets of these LED pods shipped to me soon so I can test them out for you, and i'll post pics of how well they light up an interior.

I also got 10 more sets of the 1156 CREE LED projector reverse light bulbs on the way to me since I sold both sets I had really fast. So i'll have some more of those in stock next week for anyone interested.

Bob Barker
09/07/2012, 07:06 AM
I'll figure it out how to make my own switch, I understand your concerns too! How much would these two light pods cost?

Mile High VX
09/07/2012, 07:08 AM
I'll figure it out how to make my own switch, I understand your concerns too! How much would these two light pods cost?

If you look at the install notes for the rear door popper there are directions there and some photos for this type of switch. Shows the proper mounting spots, etc.

Bob Barker
09/07/2012, 07:10 AM
Cool, thanks!

I just had another thought. With these being two separate lights, is there a single switch that can activate just one light, then the other, then both and then turn both off? I know there has to be a "multi position" switch that can do that, something like the pull toggles that cars used to use for headlights. First pull is corner/parking lights and second position is all lights. But in a push button form.

clipper 03 rodeo
09/07/2012, 07:26 AM
A set of 2 light pods would be $50 shipped to your door. There are smaller ones that would also be cheaper, but I don't think they would provide enough light output to satisfy your guys' needs. Just 1 of these bigger pods will put out more light than BOTH of the smaller pods, and they would only be about $15 cheaper so the upgrade is defenitely worth it.

I'm glad there are some sort of directions to install a similar switch, with that it should be easy as pie to make these LED pods automatic with the door open/shut.

I'm sure there are tons of ways to light these babies up, you'd just have to find the correct kind of switch to do so, and wire it up properly. That's also something you would have to custom wire yourself though.

VXorado
09/07/2012, 10:09 AM
Are Cree LED tail light bulbs an option?

clipper 03 rodeo
09/07/2012, 11:39 AM
They are possible to get, but I don't think i'm going to be carrying them anytime soon. They are more expensive than the regular CREE bulbs since they are dual intensity (so when the lights are on they are dim, but when you hit the brakes they get brighter) and i'd have to buy a pretty big bulk just to be able to get them. So i'll probably hold off on those for a while.

I actually have some LED dual intensity brake light bulbs in my Rodeo from superbrightleds.com and they are very bright.

These are the ones I have.. http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/tail-brake-turn/1157-led-bulb-dual-intensity-1-x-3-watt-high-power-led-w-reflector-lens/922/

Also if you do get some for your brake lights, be sure to get ones that light up red. If you get some that light up white they will make your taillights look pinkish when on or pushing the brake.

clipper 03 rodeo
09/07/2012, 02:46 PM
Just sent in an order for 5 sets of the LED pods! I should hopefully have them by the end of next week. I will be sure to update you all with pics as soon as I get them.

ZeroSix
11/04/2012, 10:13 AM
Retrofit led projector headlights would be nice. =D . Make them dual halo just for giggles.

Brighter led for the headlight horn lights would be great too.

tysamigo
11/05/2012, 05:56 AM
Illuminated Door Sills

ipd
09/04/2015, 05:02 PM
THREAD NECRO!!!

Is this still going? I have some ideas...