PDA

View Full Version : A-Arm/Torsion Bar Discovery/Weird vibration

ramathorn
10/03/2012, 09:29 PM
Time to summon the VX gods (insert your name here).

So after putting my 912's in the rear and cranking those good ol' tbars, I noticed something peculiar.

I was adjusting the torsion bars on either side according to the thread count on the adjuster bolt, but when the threads are even in number- my drivers side a arm is at a greater angle (according to a handy dandy tape measurer).

Not a live or die question, but is that an indication that my tbar is getting a little droopy on my passenger side? Solutions?

I'm also thinking this might have to do with that "grinding" noise coming from my empi halfshaft on just the drivers side (I mentioned this in a thread earlier). I'm wondering if my axle is sloped.

After many solid axle'd vehicles, IFS is definitely testing my patience..

On a second note.. I made a trip to the beach and gave her a little gas and a little hell in the sand.. and I've had a terrible vibration ever since. Kind of thinking/hoping it's a bad tire balance. U-joints on rear driveline seem solid, doesn't seem to have any brake issues, tires filled back up to a proper PSI, front driveline isn't as tight as the rear, and alignment is probably off a smidge..

Starts at about 20 mph, dies down a little, and then gets real consistent at 50+

I know that's two posts in one, but hey don't want to take up too much space on here! I also don't think they are connected.. but who knows.. well hopefully you guys lol.

tom4bren
10/04/2012, 05:38 AM
I'm not an expert but I'll give a shot at your questions:

Nobody ever said that it would take the same number of turns on the T bars to get the same lift side to side. Turn 'em till you get it level. There's sure to be some variation in the spring action of the T bars. If however, you start to see one side sag more than the other over time, then you may need to upgrade your torsion bars to the Indy 4X HDs.

As far as the vibration, that could be a lot of things: Tire balance, damaged tire, wheel bearings, CV joints, U joints, warped brake rotor (prolly not though since you'd feel that more when braking), worn shock(s), alignment. Let us know when you figure it out.

Ldub
10/04/2012, 06:38 AM
I was adjusting the torsion bars on either side according to the thread count on the adjuster bolt, but when the threads are even in number- my drivers side a arm is at a greater angle (according to a handy dandy tape measurer).

Sorry to say...t-bar adjustment doesn't work that way.

They are kept even by counting the number of full turns of the adjustment nut.
(a reference mark on the frame, & a corresponding reference mark on the socket...I like sharpie markers)

I've never seen a lifted VX with the same amount of adjuster threads exposed L-R.
There are too many metallurgical variables, not to mention all the human variables present in the factory when it was assembled.

I'd start by lowering the side that's too high.

Also, there is a very complicated method of leveling in the shop manual, available in the downloads section.

Personally, I think that being on level ground, & measuring to the top of the fender well arch, should be close enough.

:_wrench:...:luck:

whitebreadx
10/04/2012, 08:31 AM
p

whitebreadx
10/04/2012, 08:32 AM
I just got my lift installed too. I have notice that when i am traveling on the free way going over 60 mph and i take my foot off the gas, i hear a grinding/vibration noise from the front right side of the VX.
I also put ome 912 and they did crank my torsion bar.
I'm taking my vx bake to them on Friday.
I'm pretty sure that im having the same problem as you.
It kind of suck because I'm scared to take my VX on the freeway : X

BigSwede
10/04/2012, 09:05 AM
Yeah, the amount of exposed thread on the adjustment bolt is pretty meaningless, just depends where the adjustment arm was clocked when it was installed on the splines.

Just adjust it until the vehicle looks level and don't sweat it too much. :)

ramathorn
10/04/2012, 01:28 PM
Thanks guys, I don't know what got it in my head to count the threads.. doh.

I'll mess around with it some more and try to get her sitting right. The vibrations have gotten worse, I'll plan on taking it into the tire guys soon and seeing where I'm out of whack.

rowhard
10/04/2012, 02:48 PM
The vibrations have gotten worse, I'll plan on taking it into the tire guys soon and seeing where I'm out of whack.

not sure how many miles you have done since the work was done, but if it was just this week that you had the work done and they removed the wheels, you might check the lug nuts.

No kidding, a professional mechanic rotated my ex wife's tires and failed to tighten the lugs nut on one wheel, damn wheel almost fell of. (guess I didn't pay him enough) Anyway, quick check will eliminate that.

whiplash
10/06/2012, 05:06 PM
When I first got my VX it had 912s and was already cranked. The cvs were noisy and I chocked it up to the fact that the inner boots were ripped and I figured that the bearings were toast. After putting on new EMPIs I also had a lot of noise(vibration and chatter on decel and popping in 4lo) coming from the CVs. After some investigating I found that the previous owner had cranked the t-bars as far as possible so that the vehicle was riding on the bottom bumpstops most of the time and the front was actually over an inch higher than the rear.

I let them down to bring it back to just a little bit stinkbugged and all the noises went away. I think that the extreme angle of the halfshafts with the torsion bars cranked too far is beyond the capabilities of the cv joint. Anyways it's something to look into that was simple and cheap. Good luck.

ramathorn
10/13/2012, 03:43 PM
Well as for the vibes, I ended up replacing the "front" rear u-joint after taking out the driveshaft and realizing it was no good at all. I was feeling a tad bit lazy, so I took it to a shop to have them pressed out and voila, done- right? Wrong. The vibes are still there, but I still think it's coming from that dagnabbed driveshaft. Taking it to a DL shop on Monday, we'll see what they have to say.

Marlin
10/13/2012, 07:01 PM
Another thought is the front prop shaft. It is also a CV style joint. Mine went bad, but I didn't have weird vibrations, I just noticed the boots were torn. But I have manual front hubs and only engage the front in 4low.

ramathorn
10/14/2012, 12:36 AM
Another thought is the front prop shaft. It is also a CV style joint. Mine went bad, but I didn't have weird vibrations, I just noticed the boots were torn. But I have manual front hubs and only engage the front in 4low.

I still have my suspiscions about the propshaft, but the boots are both in tact so I'm ruling yhat out for the time being.