PDA

View Full Version : Tool Auctions... OT

omegavx
10/20/2003, 11:54 AM
I know this is off topic, but I've been looking around for some good places to get new power tools and I found this auction site where you can usually find most power tools for about $1. Ofcourse shipping is pretty expensive usually $15 - $20. But, I dont think its unreasonable for say a bench grinder, hammer drill, 500 watt work light, stapple/nail gun even a mechanics creeper. They have everything from drill bits, welding helmet's, to wrench sets, saw blades, heat gun, soldering iron etc. Almost any type of tool you could want.

www.bidz.com is the site and the tools are at
http://web-1.bidz.com/categoryDisplay.php?&level=2&path=0.36&ctgName=Tools

I've been going to the site on and off for about a month now and they always seem to be running several of the same products every day. So, if you try bidding and miss it at a really low price you can always come back the next day and almost guarantee a new auction will be there.

Just so you know, I have no affiliation with the site or any of the products sold on it. Just figured I'd pass it along since I know I've been dreading going into the local hardware store and paying a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for new equipment.

johnnyapollo
10/20/2003, 12:04 PM
Hey Jay,

I took a look. Most of the items on that site are knock-off flea market type stuff, made of low cost, low quality materials in Asia. I'm not knocking it, but it's not like you're getting DeWalt or Makita in that stuff. For some things, like files and wear items, the pricing would not be bad. However, because of the exorbitant shipping costs, the sellers are counting on your bidding/buying so that they can make their money off of the shipping. The same thing goes on at eBay across pretty much every category.

You can often buy the same stuff for a couple of dollars at the flea market or at Northern Supply in the dollar bins, except you aren't lining someones pockets in shipping. Just remember that you get what you pay for.

I usually buy stuff like surgical masks, cheap files and picks, and items that I'm not too worried about lasting more than a job or two at the discount places. For more robust items, I shop for name brands with warranties.

-- John

omegavx
10/20/2003, 12:16 PM
Yeah, I know what you mean and agree. That's why I havn't really ordered any of the power tools. I was just passing it along. I'm thinking I'll probably get the work lights, a couple of saw blades and the mechanics creeper from the site. Other then that I'll probably go the home depot/mernard's route.