PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering Hose replacement question

mrlegoman
11/11/2012, 07:31 PM
Hose seems to be leaking, p/s fluid dripping everywhere. Of course as I brought it into our local shop, it didn't leak while setting in the bay. So my assumption is it only seeps while under driving pressure. The mechanic wants to go ahead and change the p/s line anyway since the car is closing in on 200k, but I don't think he realized it is a $180 part. So my question is whether it is worth drying to get a local hydraulics shop to make a new line or just buy the $180 one and be done with it?

LittleBeast
11/11/2012, 10:08 PM
Uh I seem to remember getting mine from amazon or rockauto for $50 I think, but those hoses are legit, wouldn't be surprised if it just needs a new pump and brass washers on there.

johnnyapollo
11/12/2012, 03:06 AM
The replacement hose is a GM part. I had mine replaced and it fixed the leak for about 9-10 months, then it started leaking again. So far I've been keeping the reservoir filled as like yours, it only leaks under driving conditions and it's a very small amount. I thought about replacing it myself but it's a messy job and typically the radiator is removed to get to it...

Triathlete
11/12/2012, 11:16 AM
I use the Lucas stop leak fluid in mine. It is way thicker. Under normal driving conditions I get almost no leaking, when off roading it will lose some fluid if I get the steering bound up in the rocks. From a conversation I had in Moab it is the fitting on the hose that seperates and leaks...as I am sure most of you have seen.

mrlegoman
11/12/2012, 12:06 PM
Uh I seem to remember getting mine from amazon or rockauto for $50 I think, but those hoses are legit, wouldn't be surprised if it just needs a new pump and brass washers on there. I completely forgot about Rockauto!
Edelmann hose with 12 month warranty: $33
Gates hose with lifetime warranty: $46

Thanks!!

I use the Lucas stop leak fluid in mine. It is way thicker. Under normal driving conditions I get almost no leaking, when off roading it will lose some fluid if I get the steering bound up in the rocks. From a conversation I had in Moab it is the fitting on the hose that seperates and leaks...as I am sure most of you have seen.
The mechanic I talked to kinda mentioned this under his breath. I'm inclined to try this first. Thanks!

Leon R
05/02/2013, 09:14 AM
My PS started leaking a few weeks ago. I beleive the sourse is the "top hose swadge" fitting, just about the gear box. Does anyone know if that is the high pressure line?

Auto zone only lists one hose for our trucks:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Power-Steering-Pressure-Line-Hose/2001-Isuzu-Vehicross-4WD/_/N-jfq1pZ8oz1z?itemIdentifier=594792_0_11589_

(Advace Autopart lists the same number)

Is this the line that I need?

Beavertractors
05/02/2013, 10:22 AM
The rubber part of the hose is cheap 18-50$..The metal pipe part that goes under the radiator is 120$+..I made a shorter metal piece...Metric fittings and pipe..used 3/8 brake or fuel line..Double flair. and the old fittings...Messy job..warning do not take off fitting at the pump you will lose the brass/copper washer someware:confused:I took off the tire and rubber splash guard and spend hours getting it back together....TonyB

Leon R
05/02/2013, 10:39 AM
The long, looping pipe under the radiator is an oil cooler. Pretty crude and not entirely necessary... If that becomes a problem. I think I will just bypass it with a shorter line. I have done this on many other cars without any problems.

But that is the low pressure, return line. I believe my problem is with the high pressure line (between pump and the gearbox).

Beavertractors
05/02/2013, 04:59 PM
The long loopy metal line is high presure..I thought same thing as you..I tried cutting out rusted part the making splice 3 clamps on each end even used braided fuel injection hose..Blew off as soon as I turned wheel,The loopy metal piece conects to the rubber hose..I have spliced bypass hoses on 90's chevy pickup's with no problems...but this one was tough..save the fittings..the ones at the auto parts store are not the same:confused: Tony B

Beavertractors
05/02/2013, 05:06 PM
Leon...That is the high presure line it connects to the long loopy metal line..Do not take that off the pump(its hell to get back on)The metal part if you can find(everyone was out of stock )was 120-200$..not needed just make or get someone to make a shorter piece..Reuse same fittings tho...TonyB

Spyder
05/02/2013, 07:25 PM
I bought the parts master:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Parts-Master-80368-Power-Steering-Pressure-Hose-/380611101563?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3AVehiCROSS&hash=item589e30837b&vxp=mtr
To see if it is the high pressure hose, have someone turn the wheel while you inspect the hose, usually it will squirt if it is the high pressure hose.

Leon R
05/02/2013, 11:02 PM
Beavertractors, you are correct, VX's cooling loop is, in fact high pressure. That is somewhat odd. But you can buy that loop from Autozone for $27. In my case, it is the line from the pump to the cooling loop that is leaking.

The part from Autozone is the same one Mark has listed from EBay. It appears the hose that I need. I will order it tomorrow (no one stocks it locally).

evillecutter
05/03/2013, 06:26 AM
My PS started leaking a few weeks ago. I beleive the sourse is the "top hose swadge" fitting, just about the gear box. Does anyone know if that is the high pressure line?

Auto zone only lists one hose for our trucks:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/Duralast-Power-Steering-Pressure-Line-Hose/2001-Isuzu-Vehicross-4WD/_/N-jfq1pZ8oz1z?itemIdentifier=594792_0_11589_

(Advace Autopart lists the same number)

Is this the line that I need?

nope - not if its the hose that goes from the gearbox to the resevoir - i coulddnt find that one anywhere and was going to have one made - then i realized that it was the hose clamp underneath the resevoir leaking and the fluid was following the hose down to the pressure fitting making it look like that was the culprit - worth checking first