PDA

View Full Version : Tod Problems !! Help

Porschepitstop
11/14/2012, 10:01 AM
Can any one help , I have just purchased a vehicross in blue in the UK . The problem i have is . My TOD is not working . When I am in just 2WD the rear green wheels are light in green and runs fine. Then when I put into TOD mode the auto lights up in green the rear wheels light up, but are flashing not solid . Then on a drive there seems to be no drive to the front and they never light on the display . After 5 min if I press the brake light the Red check light comes on . The ISUZU dealers in the UK basically are telling me to FCUK off when I ask for help . I have an Autel diagnostic unit but that's no good I can't get the error codes . Please help . Or another VX goes to the SCRAP YARD . Thanks

vt_maverick
11/14/2012, 10:13 AM
Welcome to the group! The problem you're going to have is that the JDM TOD system is different than the US system in that it has three modes (2L/4L/TOD) vs. two (4L/TOD) so none of us can probably offer much insight. We do have many JDM owners on this board though, including many folks in the UK. Might I suggest you start here?

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/memberlist.php?&field10=UK&order=DESC&sort=lastvisit&pp=30

That link will give you a list of UK members sorted by most recent activity. Send those guys a PM (especially Greasemonkey since he's a site supporter) and see if maybe one of them can stop by to take a look?

Good luck and post pics of that beautiful blue VX when you get a sec! :luck:

evillecutter
11/14/2012, 10:14 AM
I would just drive it in 2wd - our american versions didnt have your 2wd options but i know there have been some people that have overridden the tod to have theirs be like yours - think positive: you can peel out easier in 2wd

Triathlete
11/14/2012, 10:15 AM
I would start by checking all the related electrical connections...switch, computer, sensors and at the tod transfer case. After that I would check the components themselves. Hopefully someone on the other side of the pond will chime in (US VXs are full time tod or 4lo).
Good luck!

Triathlete
11/14/2012, 10:17 AM
Haha...all 3 of us must have been typing at the same time!

MSHardeman
11/14/2012, 10:30 AM
I don't know about the flashing rear wheel lights, but when the TOD is in the "Auto" mode it should work like the US spec TOD which does not push power to the front wheels until the rear wheels start to slip. Over here, like others have said, we are in TOD mode all the time and when we take off from a light just the rear wheels are lit up on the display until about 5 to 7 miles per hour, at which point the first bar on the front wheels light up. When this happens I still don't think that there is any power going to the front wheels, but the TOD is ready to send power forward. If we get on some gravel, or ice, and start to spin the back wheels the TOD will then push power to the front wheels and all three bars on the front wheels on the display will light up but only for a second until the rear wheels stop spinning then the front wheels on the display go back to having one bar lit up.

Hopefully one of the JDM owner's will chime in soon.

Oh, and welcome to the group.:thumbup:

evillecutter
11/14/2012, 10:44 AM
i read somewhere when i first bought the vx that each bar represents aprox 15% of the power being regulated - might have been in the owners manual

MSHardeman
11/14/2012, 01:24 PM
i read somewhere when i first bought the vx that each bar represents aprox 15% of the power being regulated - might have been in the owners manual

I thought the same thing too, but Ldub showed me a trick in Moab one year. We (well he) was under my VX in the parking lot of The Stoop installing a 3" lift and he had me crawl under there with him and look at the front drive shaft. It looked like it had been sand blasted, but only on the side that was facing the ground. That could only really happen if the front drive shaft didn't turn and the "sand blasted" side was the side that was always facing the ground getting blasted by dirt and rocks being kicked up off the road.

I guess one way to tell would be to mount a little GoPro camera under the VX and drive around to see if the front drive shaft turns under normal driving conditions.

evillecutter
11/14/2012, 01:35 PM
I guess one way to tell would be to mount a little GoPro camera under the VX and drive around to see if the front drive shaft turns under normal driving conditions.

that is a great idea

pbkid
11/14/2012, 02:44 PM
Im almost positive that the front wheels are under power any time the vx is above 10 or so mph. Proof- go get your vehicle 'emissions tested', they set it on 4 huge rollers. All 4 wheels were definately spinning on the vx. In my 4runner, only the rears spin on the testing device.

vt_maverick
11/14/2012, 04:23 PM
If the rear wheels are on rollers wouldn't that trick TOD into thinking they were slipping/spinning, thus causing the front wheels to turn?

pbkid
11/14/2012, 04:28 PM
If the rear wheels are on rollers wouldn't that trick TOD into thinking they were slipping/spinning, thus causing the front wheels to turn?

Hmmm. I think your right ash. I think i was thinking in abs terms.

We could tie your vx off to a tree and put it on a treadmill?

RickOKC
11/14/2012, 07:42 PM
I keep the Owner's Manual PDF on my computer's desktop so it's always handy. :) You are right - here's what the top part of the TOD Lighting Graphic indicates according to the manual:

NO BARS = 0 to 15% of the torque is moving to the front wheels
1 BAR = 15% to 30%
2 BARS = 30% to 50%
3 BARS = 50/50% distribution between front to rear axles

The first bar always stays lit any time I'm driving faster than 5-10 MPH. As others have reported, sometimes all 3 bars will briefly light when I first accelerate from a complete stop (I get the impression that might be caused due to having taller than standard tires.)

tom4bren
11/15/2012, 08:35 AM

The low tech solution would be to put a piece of duct tape around the drive shaft making a flag. When you drive, if the front drive shaft is spinning, the loud whirring sound lets you know. If you make the flag long enough to slap the floorboard, then you'll REALLY know.

Actually I'm just kidding. I don't know how much weight it takes to throw a drive shaft out of balance ... & I don't want to find out with MY VX.

Y33TREKker
11/15/2012, 11:25 AM
The closest condition that I saw in the US manual indicated that it may be your "4H switch circuit being shorted to ground".

If you can find the equivalent JDM version of the VX repair manual, that circuit and it's equivalent JDM components may be a good place to start. The flow chart for diagnosing that circuit suggested that the problem could possibly be associated with:

- a faulty TOD indicator lamp bulb
- a failed ECU
- a simple short somewhere in the circuit between the ECU and the "4H" switch
- or, a problem in the "transfer assembly"

Given some of the TOD problems I've seen and experienced on my '01 US VX, it might be worth a try to simply disconnect all of the electrical connectors on your transmission, clean both the male and female ends with an electrical cleaning spray, add some dielectric grease to the weather seals to make sure all connectors are waterproofed as well as possible, then reconnect everything and see what happens.

My TOD system flaked out big time once while driving during a very heavy rain that caused standing water. It still acted strange for awhile after the rain stopped, and when the excess water was gone, everything went back to normal. After that episode, I followed the previous steps to waterproof the connectors on my transmission, and have never had the problem again.

It'd be worth the time and effort on your own to determine if it's something simple like that before looking into more expensive repairs and having to deal with your uncooperative Isuzu dealer...in my opinion anyway.

givegodachance
11/15/2012, 01:29 PM
I dont know if i have problems or not. When i start the vx, nothing for TOD light up and never lights up when it 4lo. Nothing lights up as i drive. SO im guessing mine work. I put it into a small ditch and pulled the front wheel off the ground and it just spun that (the front drivers) and the rear passenger side wheels. Thats not how that is supposed to work is it???

SilverBullet75
11/15/2012, 01:33 PM
I dont know if i have problems or not. When i start the vx, nothing for TOD light up and never lights up when it 4lo. Nothing lights up as i drive. SO im guessing mine work. I put it into a small ditch and pulled the front wheel off the ground and it just spun that (the front drivers) and the rear passenger side wheels. Thats not how that is supposed to work is it???

That sounds like your TOD computer is disconnected (or dead).
Remove your passenger seat and check.

Gussie2000
11/15/2012, 02:17 PM
@ givegodachance !

If your VX is in TOD position rear wheel always lights up,as you drive the front wheels would light up 15%
When the TOD is IN 4LO all lights will turn on because the tranfer case is in LOCK position,so all whell are.

But what i believe is happening to you is that you aren't locking the tranfer case completely and wouldn't light the TOD at all if that is the case.

And remember,ALWAYS change the TOD with the gearbox in "N" position

vt_maverick
11/15/2012, 02:59 PM
Update from the OP?

PK
11/15/2012, 03:07 PM
The low tech solution would be to put a piece of duct tape around the drive shaft making a flag. When you drive, if the front drive shaft is spinning, the loud whirring sound lets you know. If you make the flag long enough to slap the floorboard, then you'll REALLY know.

Actually I'm just kidding. I don't know how much weight it takes to throw a drive shaft out of balance ... & I don't want to find out with MY VX.

Or the old trick for the mates wedding car - tie an elastic band around the shaft with a steel washer at the end of it.
Faster he goes, the more noise it makes.:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo:

PK

RickOKC
11/15/2012, 03:32 PM

When I worked for a mechanical contractor, the techs put zip ties around drive shafts as a prank. :)

givegodachance
11/15/2012, 03:56 PM
@ givegodachance !

If your VX is in TOD position rear wheel always lights up,as you drive the front wheels would light up 15%
When the TOD is IN 4LO all lights will turn on because the tranfer case is in LOCK position,so all whell are.

But what i believe is happening to you is that you aren't locking the tranfer case completely and wouldn't light the TOD at all if that is the case.

And remember,ALWAYS change the TOD with the gearbox in "N" position

Isnt there only two positions for the TOD? N(which is all wheel drive) and 4LO. Isnt that it?Is there something im missing?

Scott Larson
11/15/2012, 04:11 PM
I believe it's "4L" and "HIGH"...It's always "all wheel drive", how much is determined by the TOD.

Triathlete
11/15/2012, 05:21 PM
Isnt there only two positions for the TOD? N(which is all wheel drive) and 4LO. Isnt that it?Is there something im missing?

US version...yes
JDM...no

Dmitrikr
11/16/2012, 05:54 PM
.....my 5 cents.... about JDM
May be take a look in rodeo or troopers manuals for 2wd-4Hauto-4Lo schematics. trooper (2001) utilizes vac control solenoids to move lock ring in front axle to connect/disengage driver side front shaft. on one of the troopers I have in the shop the TOD check light was flashing till I fix one of the vac control solenoids.(was not going to 4wd mode).

Y33TREKker
11/17/2012, 09:06 AM
.....my 5 cents.... about JDM
May be take a look in rodeo or troopers manuals for 2wd-4Hauto-4Lo schematics. trooper (2001) utilizes vac control solenoids to move lock ring in front axle to connect/disengage driver side front shaft. on one of the troopers I have in the shop the TOD check light was flashing till I fix one of the vac control solenoids.(was not going to 4wd mode).
I saw the same problem being experienced with a Jeep something or other (don't remember what model it was) years ago, but in that case, some of the actual rubber/plastic vacuum lines had been damaged.

vt_maverick
11/17/2012, 11:27 AM
Wonder if the OP already took it to the scrap yard?