PDA

View Full Version : Only a matter of time now...

Y33TREKker
11/15/2012, 09:57 PM
Maybe some of the rest of you saw this too, but a small snippet in the latest (Dec - 2012) Popular Mechanics promoted the Vehicross as a "Future Collectible" guaranteed to make a person do a double-take.

Only time will tell about the collectible part of course, but there is already definite proof regarding the double-takes as I'm sure we're all already aware.

givegodachance
11/16/2012, 03:08 AM
i purchased my first vx a few months back needing a motor, and i never thought i would love an import like i do this thing. I love the looks from about everyone. And most of the guys i work with have never seen one. Some even want to pick one up themselves, and i want another.

VX KAT
11/16/2012, 09:31 AM
man that's really good to hear that it's being talked about like that and it's from a current/new article. With it being Pop Mech, that's pretty mainstream...wonder if we'll start seeing similar thoughts in other mainstream puplications.... Ew ew ew, I hope! (I also hope they happen to forget about the visibility issue and not mention it....:goof:)

pbkid
11/16/2012, 09:38 AM
(I also hope they happen to forget about the visibility issue and not mention it....:goof:)

Theres a visibility issue?!?!

Mile High VX
11/16/2012, 09:40 AM
Ew ew ew, I hope! (I also hope they happen to forget about the visibility issue and not mention it....:goof:)

I wouldn't SEE the point in them bringing it up...:bwgy::smilewink:bgwo::bgwb:

Y33TREKker
11/16/2012, 09:57 AM
And unless a person had actually driven one, the issue of rear visibility would surely be a blind-spot in their review. :p

HubEZ
11/16/2012, 01:52 PM
Can you post a copy of that article here please? :)

Y33TREKker
11/17/2012, 08:58 AM
Can you post a copy of that article here please? :)
The article doesn't seem to be on the Pop Mech website yet, and all I have is this months' subscription edition. The article is on pages 128-132 in the "DIY Auto / Future Collectibles" section. The factors for their choices were things like novelty, rarity, historical significance, and "most important", the potential for nostalgia.

Without typing out the details for each of the other choices, some of other entries were the Hummer H2 (which made the list as an embodiment of the vehicle of the 2000's Type-A mentality with a conspicuous need for consumption and flaunting tax write-offs - I'm paraphrasing, but you get the idea).

The Pontiak Aztec - for those with a bizarre nostalgia for the ugly duckling.

The 2002 Cadillac Eldorado - for it's "crisp, tuxedo-lke timeless styling, high-tech but handsome interior, 300 hp Northstar V-8, and low production numbers...

...and other entries including the 2nd gen. Toyota Prius, Chrysler Magnum station wagon, Scion xB, Plymouth Neon, Honda Insight, and Jaguar XJR.

For the Vehicross, these were their comments:

"There's a distinct possibility Isuzu will be out of business as of this printing, and the SUV that's easily it's most outrageous offering - The Vehicross - will be somewhat collectible. Probably the purest concept car to hit series-production since the Viper or Prowler, and, in spite of brilliant styling, sales were in the toilet. Regardless, you can't see a Vehicross and not do a doubletake."

Scott Harness
11/17/2012, 09:49 AM
Plymouth Neon?:confused::disturbed

Y33TREKker
11/17/2012, 01:08 PM
Plymouth Neon?:confused::disturbed
That entry was based on a rare white version of the Neon that had been featured in their "Hi" promotional campaign. It apparently had a few rare features such as white dimpled hubcaps, and of obvious interest to VX fans, an equally rare roof-rack option.

They mentioned that a nationwide search of currently for-sale used cars turned up exactly zero results for that specifically optioned model.

givegodachance
11/17/2012, 01:19 PM
That entry was based on a rare white version of the Neon that had been featured in their "Hi" promotional campaign. It apparently had a few rare features such as white dimpled hubcaps, and of obvious interest to VX fans, an equally rare roof-rack option.

They mentioned that a nationwide search of currently for-sale used cars turned up exactly zero results for that specifically optioned model.

So the white version is rare? i can believe white as being a minority but i dont know about rare. Not yet. But why would someone pick a noen anyway? maybe we will see them on Barrett-Jackson soon going for 6 figures.

Y33TREKker
11/17/2012, 02:37 PM
So the white version is rare? i can believe white as being a minority but i dont know about rare. Not yet. But why would someone pick a noen anyway? maybe we will see them on Barrett-Jackson soon going for 6 figures.
Well, the white version similar to the one in their "Hi" ads anyway. If there were any other options besides the hubcaps and the roof rack that made it rarer, they weren't mentioned in the POP Mech. article.

JHarris1385
11/17/2012, 02:50 PM
Thanks! I pulled my Pop Mech out to read! I had it laying on my desk till now.

iyafyl
11/17/2012, 04:01 PM
I see Neons being collected all the time....by tow trucks on the freeway hehe. Not sure I'm digging being my baby being mentioned in the same article as a Neon. :confused:

Baldwin
11/17/2012, 07:20 PM
Well, we do qualify for Classic/collectible/rare car insurance with a stated value. Cost almost the same as regular insurance but you can declare about $15k value. You just have to limit the driving to about 2500 miles/year. Might do that for my OG VX and drive my fixer VX Jr as my daily.

Y33TREKker
11/18/2012, 10:28 PM
Well, we do qualify for Classic/collectible/rare car insurance with a stated value. Cost almost the same as regular insurance but you can declare about $15k value. You just have to limit the driving to about 2500 miles/year. Might do that for my OG VX and drive my fixer VX Jr as my daily.
Maybe you've mentioned them already, but which specific providers do you know of that will offer such a policy for the VX?

tom4bren
11/19/2012, 04:14 AM

I've never seen one.

pbkid
11/19/2012, 06:14 AM
I've never seen one.

Huh?! Weird, that makes two of us...

Y33TREKker
11/19/2012, 11:58 AM

I've never seen one.

Huh?! Weird, that makes two of us...

Maybe it would help if you guys added some of these? (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/BRIAN_S_PICS_038.JPG)

Or one of these? (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/1039vehicross_036.jpg)

:p

givegodachance
11/19/2012, 01:55 PM
Maybe it would help if you guys added some of these? (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/BRIAN_S_PICS_038.JPG)

Or one of these? (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/medium/1039vehicross_036.jpg)

I think i would rather scare the crap outta someone when coming over in ther lane at 90 then have them things on my VX. I thought about getting something cool like a 6 inch screen and a camera. Or just seeing the look you get when cutting people off.
A pair of blind spot mirrors.......................................5 bucks
A funky looking plastic window on the window.............2 bucks (i hope)
The look on someones face when you cut them off in a futuristic VX................................................ ..............................PRICELESS

Baldwin
11/19/2012, 02:48 PM
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/177616_10151128889462555_553662235_o.jpg

blacksambo
11/19/2012, 04:01 PM
Well they could'nt be more wrong about Isuzu. Not only is it the oldest truck company in Japan, but still today they produce more Diesel engines than anybody else in the world.

FYI Motor Trend, The Wall Street Journal, and Collectible Automobile have already done stories proclaiming the VX as a future collectible. Welcome to the club!

Y33TREKker
11/19/2012, 04:04 PM
Well they could'nt be more wrong about Isuzu. Not only is it the oldest truck company in Japan, but still today they produce more Diesel engines than anybody else in the world.
My take on Popular Mechanics comments were that they were mainly talking about Isuzu's presence in the US. At this point I'd think Isuzu commercial has far too much of a following around the world to have them considering totally closing the doors in Japan.

Makocross
11/19/2012, 04:05 PM
Luck or brains? I have a Vehicross(fun car) and an Insight(72mpg).

CoastieCosta567
11/19/2012, 04:22 PM
Ya know really thinking about it, I careless, cuz I'm keeping mine till a comet destroys it. So there is really no need for me to want more buck for my rig. Just saying :D

blacksambo
11/19/2012, 08:45 PM
My take on Popular Mechanics comments were that they were mainly talking about Isuzu's presence in the US. At this point I'd think Isuzu commercial has far too much of a following around the world to have them considering totally closing the doors in Japan.

Actually Isuzu's prescence in the USA has only grown in recent years, albeit in the commercial range, exclusively.

Baldwin
11/19/2012, 09:44 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/10-surprising-collectible-cars-of-tomorrow.html?page=all

tom4bren
11/20/2012, 05:27 AM

Got 'em

Don't like 'em

You misunderstand sir. The lack of visibility doesn't bother me. I learnt to drive back in the 70's when they taught defensive driving with planning ahead for lane changes & such so I pick my spot well in advance & move in with no problemo. If someone tries to sneak into the spot I'm merging into, they get to say hello to plenty of offset rubber that protects my tender fenders.

The only time that lack of visibility bothers me is backing up in shopping center parking lots so I just slip into my entire lifestyle mode: slow-n-easy. Thus far it's served me well.

pbkid
11/20/2012, 06:14 AM
You misunderstand sir. The lack of visibility doesn't bother me. I learnt to drive back in the 70's when they taught defensive driving with planning ahead for lane changes & such so I pick my spot well in advance & move in with no problemo. If someone tries to sneak into the spot I'm merging into, they get to say hello to plenty of offset rubber that protects my tender fenders.

The only time that lack of visibility bothers me is backing up in shopping center parking lots so I just slip into my entire lifestyle mode: slow-n-easy. Thus far it's served me well.

Sounds like we would get along great tom! I plan all my moves in advance, i have those mirror bubbles, and if it happens that someone needs to cut me off/merge into my lane, i have copious rubber and steel ;)

Cobrajet
11/20/2012, 06:24 AM

X2. With eleven years of practice, and zero incidences (not even a close call), I've learned to adapt to the limited visibility, and no longer consider it a liability. It doesn't hurt having a bright yellow attention grabber either. :happyface

Y33TREKker
11/20/2012, 02:17 PM
You misunderstand sir...
Not at all. I'm very familiar with the "Italian School of Driving" method..."Whatsa behind me...ees not important" that utilizes no rear-view mirrors. (Gumball Rally anyone?)

The trouble is...no matter how fast we start thinking we are...there's always someone who's faster...and just when you think you've got everything covered, Murphy's Law kicks in and that faster person ends up right in your blind spot.

blacksambo
11/20/2012, 04:29 PM
I proclaim this thread pirated!