PDA

View Full Version : fan noise & high idle

Baldwin
11/29/2012, 08:07 PM
So the Proton Jr. is getting close to being fixed up. One other issue I have is this fan noise that is constant after I hit 10 mph. It doesn't go up or down with RPM and after about 25 mph, it's the same volume. The AC/Heater blower fan is not one during this process, but when I DO turn on the fan, there is a whining noise that is pretty annoying. I'm not sure if they are related or 2 seperate items. The AC fan was quoted to repair at $300. Not sure if that would fix both problems or not.

The other item I have left is a high engine idle that caused me not to be able to pass SMOG/emissions. Mechanic diagnosed it as a bad power steering switch. Wasn't able to turn the throttle control nut to lower the idle. Isuzu tech said that he disconnected the power steering switch and the idle went down. The switch was telling the idle to stay on high the same way it would tell it to go up if you turned on the AC. Does that sound right?

Scott Larson
11/29/2012, 08:39 PM
Yup, at low speeds (mph) the idle is increased to assist with the power steering input. It lessens the force required by the driver to steer at low mph. That switch has caused more then just a few idle headaches...As to the fan, if your VX has ever had it's radiator fan replaced with the newer curved-tip blade, it will be noisy! Also, your fan clutch may be bad (locked up), try rotating the fan blade by hand, there should be slight resistance. If your heater fan is noisy, it could be debris (mouse nest material) in your heater/air con plenum...The other thing it could be is dry fan motor bearings, a few drops of oil will fix that.

Baldwin
11/29/2012, 08:53 PM
Thanks. This is my 2nd Proton. Big brother is safe and in pristine condition. Jr on the other hand, i don't have all the docs for it so I'm not sure if the radiator fan was replaced. How do you check the plenum and get access to it?

Scott Larson
11/29/2012, 09:09 PM
You remove the fan/motor assembly to get inside the plenum. It's located behind the glove box, accessible from underneath the dash on the passenger side...The motor and fan are removed as one unit, you can clean out the plenum and oil the motor bearings at the same time.

Baldwin
11/29/2012, 09:28 PM
Thanks!