PDA

View Full Version : Virginia meet (Williamsburg)

tom4bren
12/11/2012, 06:29 AM
We can probably meet here:

http://www.thousandtrails.com/getaways/virginia/williamsburg.asp

I'll contact them to make sure.

One possible destination:

http://www.virginiadot.org/travel/ferry-jamestown.asp

& since the ferry is right there, this will probably present many Kodak moments as well:

http://www.nps.gov/jame/island-loop-drive.htm

I'll check around to see if there are any trails in the area where we could sling a little mud as well (any help would be appreciated).

tom4bren
12/11/2012, 02:28 PM
The weekend before the 26th would actually work better for us. Would that be a problem for anyone?

Allison3371
12/11/2012, 03:17 PM
I can't do the weekend of the 19th. My 12 year old plays competitive volleyball and we have a tournament that whole weekend out of town. Any other weekend should be ok in Jan though.

tom4bren
12/12/2012, 05:01 AM
OK, so the 19th is out. I can do the 26th but it would just be a day trip without Wifey. If the 12th works for everyone, that would be even mo betta.

Allison3371
12/12/2012, 12:01 PM
Wanna just change it to the 12th now?

tom4bren
12/12/2012, 12:08 PM
Lets wait on vt_mav to chime in. He's cruising up 81 right now so it'll probably be late tonight before he gets online again.

vt_maverick
01/15/2013, 06:59 PM
Well in a cruel twist of fate I'll be in Hampton on the 22nd but have to head back on the 23rd. Now that Tom's out and it's mostly locals perhaps we could do dinner on Tuesday night (22nd) instead?

Marlin
01/15/2013, 07:37 PM
I am game whenever, I don't go back to work until 28th:)

vt_maverick
01/18/2013, 01:12 PM
Well Chris how about at least you and I go out somewhere for dinner Tuesday night? We could do County Grill on 17 in Yorktown (about 2 minutes off the J Clyde Morris I-64 exit), that's about 5 minutes from Billy's (yellowgizmo) house and they have GREAT BBQ. Or we could go to Hoss' Deli which is also right near there. Nice biker/dive bar with great sandwiches and seafood. I would say the back deck there has a very "Stoop" type feel.

Everyone is welcome of course. Votes? Time?

yellowgizmo99
01/18/2013, 01:39 PM
How about Steak and Lube on Jefferson? They have all you can eat wings that night and my Dad was going to take me for my belated bday, oldest daughter may be there also, anytime after 6pm. If not either other place is good for me.

vt_maverick
01/18/2013, 04:05 PM
Thatīs probably even better better since there's a big parking lot right across the street where we could gather.

Allison3371
01/20/2013, 02:37 PM
I won't be able to make the weekday evening plans. :( I guess I will wait until another Saturday meet is scheduled....I'm assuming we can reschedule one?

Marlin
01/20/2013, 02:53 PM
How about Steak and Lube on Jefferson? They have all you can eat wings that night and my Dad was going to take me for my belated bday, oldest daughter may be there also, anytime after 6pm. If not either other place is good for me.

You talking about the one across from navy federal? That is like 4 miles from my house:)

yellowgizmo99
01/20/2013, 07:37 PM
yea, thought it might be nearer to you just not that close.

vt_maverick
01/22/2013, 05:19 AM
So are we on for this guys? I'm driving into town with the VX later this morning and have to do a little bit of work before we go out. What time did you want to meet? 6 maybe?

@Allison - I'm not trying to hijack the Saturday event, just looking to see if any members are up for something during the week when I'll actually be there. If you guys have numbers for Saturday you should definitely still go.

yellowgizmo99
01/22/2013, 05:44 AM
6 is about the time my Dad, daughter and I will be showing up.

Marlin
01/22/2013, 08:05 AM
I will be at Quaker Steak at 6pm:) Look out wings, here I come! As for Saturday, is anyone available other than me...lol. Allison, if you want to meet up anytime and talk about VX mods, or if you need help, let me know. I am always doing something to mine. There isn't a whole lot I don't know about the VX anymore, and I have taken apart just about everything except engine internals in my truck.

vt_maverick
01/22/2013, 09:24 AM
Hey guys, turns out I can't make it tonight, my daughter's eardrum burst last night and we had to take her to the doctor this morning. I'm watching her until Sonya gets home this evening so I won't get into town until late, probably after 10PM. :(

I'll catch up with you guys another time, I'm usually in Hampton Roads at least twice a month.

Allison3371
01/25/2013, 01:31 PM
It looks like the Saturday meet is cancelled? I don't think the weather will allow it at this point anyway. :( Shall we try to reschedule...maybe when it's a little warmer? :)

Marlin
01/25/2013, 02:16 PM
The weather is fine, but it looks like it would only be us two. We can try and set this up again when more folks are available.

Ash, how is your daughter doing?

Allison3371
01/26/2013, 05:36 AM
The weather is ok over there? We are snowed in here. VDOT didn't prepare too well. Took my husband 3 hours to get home from work last night.(12 miles) Cars were parked on 64. We can't see the neighborhood roads so we are stuck here until it melts. It was only about 3 inches I think but still only 20 degrees. I don't do ice real well. :)

Marlin
01/26/2013, 05:56 AM
We got a couple of inches and similar ice issues. I did go do some awesome donuts in the intersection. Front locker does nice on the ice:) Neighbor whined about it, but there are no cars or anything out there. "What if you hit the curb?" I told him the sidewalls are over an inch thick, I will be fine.

Allison3371
01/26/2013, 06:16 AM
Hoping it will melt by tomorrow. My rubber window guide seal thingy came yesterday and I'm chomping at the bit to get out there and work on my window! I pulled the old one out and it the window jumps out of the track. I'm looking forward to figuring it all out! I finished plastidipping the rims...It looks like a totally different vehicle!

So should we schedule a new meet for of couple months?

Marlin
01/26/2013, 06:43 AM
The Uwharrie run is 18-21 APR. Go to planetisuzoo.com, under the uwharrie forum. A stock VX with the exception of tires, can run every trail there except maybe Daniel. Typically, only the trucks with lockers will do daniel, but everything else, not a problem.

vt_maverick
01/27/2013, 04:51 PM
You might talk me into Uwharrie this year Chris, after doing Moab last year I'm not nearly as scared. :) How bouncy are the trails? I know the teeth jarring bouncing off Moab rocks was hard for Sonya to handle.

P.S. Got a couple inches Friday as well, drove the VX about 40 miles roundtrip along a winding mountain road in the worst of it with no problems. I LOVE the combination of TOD/4L and the 5-speed, feels so much more controlled than the wife's Axiom (auto with TOD/4L as well). Just really nice to be able to choose the gear you want, slow down without having to hit the brakes, etc. Course it also helps that I have the mountain-snowflake rated Goodyear Silent Armors, those things were rock solid!

It'll probably be a couple months before I'm out there over a weekend. Sonya and I were married in Jamestown and our anniversary is next month, so who knows maybe it will be sooner. I'll let you guys know as soon as I know.

Marlin
01/28/2013, 11:35 AM
It is not near as rocky as Moab, mostly packed clay. I do remember how painful Moab was...lol. Let me know if you are serious, arrowhead is filling up quick. There are cabins in the area, but with no cell coverage, its hard to coordinate with those that don't stay at the campground.

vt_maverick
01/28/2013, 12:12 PM
Probably can't talk the wife into camping out... no options otherwise huh? Do texts work? Flare guns perhaps? Lol...

yellowgizmo99
01/28/2013, 12:20 PM
CB's

vt_maverick
01/28/2013, 12:40 PM
I do have that but need to install the antenna - no biggie though, it's just one of the magnetic stick-on kinds that you can remove later. Was planning to run cables to it through the driver's door jam rather than do something more visually attractive.

Marlin
01/28/2013, 12:42 PM
CB doesn't a great range in the mountains/woods unless you get a nice antenna and receiver/transmitter:) Texting is intermittent, the other option is do what some of the others do that stay in the cabins, they just get up early and head over to the campground and hang out until someone stirs...

vt_maverick
01/28/2013, 01:13 PM
Sounds so eerily reminiscent of Moab... that's fine, I think this is probably something we'd do without the girls so that won't be nearly the headache it was back in May.

I have one of those "Little Wil" 3' whip antennas and this for a CB:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41QrD9t8AyL._SS400_.jpg

Figured I didn't need much more given how infrequently I do these meets. Worked well enough in Moab without the external antenna, but then again we were always close enough for it not to really be an issue.

Marlin
01/28/2013, 01:19 PM
Very convenient. Would be nice in my car for convoy drives across countr for my military moves.
That would work fine on the trails. Some even use handhelds.