PDA

View Full Version : VX's drawback

Medman
10/24/2003, 01:12 PM
Everyone knows the rear-view mirror in the VX is definitely not one of its strong features, so I removed mine! Problem came up in trying to remove the base it was attached to on the windshield.
I can not for the life of me figure out how to get that son of a b**** off!! Anybody remove theirs? If so, HOW? If not, do all replacement windshields come with the rear view mirror mount "pre-mounted"? Any replies appreciated.

Joe_Black
10/24/2003, 01:22 PM
I good method I've used in the past involves a good single-edge razor blade, a heat gun (or hair dryer in a pinch) and patience. Heat up the mounting pad and then slowly but firmly start working the blade between the pad and the glass. Take a break when your fingers get tired and heat up the pad some more. Usually takes about five minutes to complete, and go easy on the heat so you don't crack the windshield. Afterwards you can use acetone and the blade to remove any remaining adhesive.

Hope that helps!

tomdietrying
10/24/2003, 02:21 PM
So why do you want to take out the rear window?:confused:

SpaceTruck'n
10/24/2003, 02:30 PM
Dude, take off the mirror if you want. But DONT take the mounting pad off !
It comes in handy to attach things like:
Radar detectors/Jammers.
Small LCD displays.
Map lights.
Whatever...
The mirror part comes off easy, just twist it half a turn to the left. All thats left is that metal pad.

-x-
10/24/2003, 03:11 PM
dont know if its right but i used a good size flat head with a good(forgive the oxy-moron) gentle but firm hit/tap to knock it off.

Be forewarned, its not glass under the base (at least on my windshield) there seems to be a type of coating or something that was laid with the glass/window...

...i broke my windshield and had it replaced (insurance was good for something) and requested that they leave the mirror off. Which they did but it still had that base. And like i mentioned under the base it isnt clear glass so i no no :confused: good luck ;Db;

Heraclid
10/24/2003, 04:47 PM
What I'd do is replace it with one of those mirrors with built-in digital compass, thermometer, range finder, and monitor for backup camera.

Raque Thomas
10/24/2003, 08:12 PM
I just put the Van-eyes piece in the back window - got it at Pep Boys for-----$1------ closeout bin!!! Man, what a difference! Camera? We don't need no stinkin' camera! Really - it works - and it goes on the inside (guess I'm stupid - I thought it went outside!), so if you have tinted windows, it's barely visible from the outside. I can see a straight pin on the ground 6" behind my car. OK maybe I'm exaggerating, but I can definately see a car RIGHT behind me, which is like seeing that straight pin compared to what I used to be able to see!!