PDA

View Full Version : Vcross newbie wanting info

VcrossEbRd
01/09/2013, 05:55 PM
Hi all!
Just joined and have a few questions about servicing my awesome VX!
first of course is the dreaded CEL. I just purchased my VX a couple weeks ago and have just now started doing some preventative routine maintenance. To start, changing the oil. Now I have done this and started back up a noticed the CEL is on! Capacity is at full on the dipstick and have checked 3 times to be sure. When I bought it was not on and actually drove the VX two different times a few days apart and light was not on. I have owned in the past an '88 Trooper, a '92 Trooper, and currently still own a '96 SLX, and now a '99 VX, so I am pretty familiar with Isuzu. Just looking for some input here.
Haven't uploaded pics of my VX but will soon!
Thank you in advance....

yellowgizmo99
01/09/2013, 05:58 PM
go to Advance or Autozone and get what the CEL is and come back here.

VcrossEbRd
01/09/2013, 06:02 PM
Thank you yellow... That is my next journey

JoFotoz
01/09/2013, 06:17 PM
Check gas cap is snug too...

Welcome to the addiction.... :dance:

Jo

VcrossEbRd
01/09/2013, 06:27 PM
Gas cap is good. I just thought it was strange that light was off before the oil change and now is on after and I haven't even taken it out of the garage!
Ugh...

VcrossEbRd
01/09/2013, 06:28 PM
Oh and thanks for the welcome. Glad to be here :)

VxSport
01/09/2013, 07:36 PM
Welcome.... we were all once a newbie..... now more like an vxaddict.

As for your problem. cel shouldn't have anything to do with the oil change. Have the vehicle scaned and report back. Many problems can trigger the cel.

chadzu
01/09/2013, 07:46 PM
Egr is always a favorite for the cel.

VcrossEbRd
01/10/2013, 05:14 AM
Thanks for the input. I will get it scanned....

evillecutter
01/10/2013, 07:02 AM
might want to disconnect the battery for a bit and see if it even comes back on

VcrossEbRd
01/10/2013, 03:45 PM
thanks! will try that this evening....

VXorado
01/10/2013, 07:57 PM
thanks! will try that this evening....

I saw this VX on CL a little while back. Looks good and unique paint. I thought the ad said it needed repairs, but I could be remembering wrong.

Welcome. :)

VX KAT
01/10/2013, 10:06 PM
I saw this VX on CL a little while back. Looks good and unique paint. I thought the ad said it needed repairs, but I could be remembering wrong.

Welcome. :)

yeah, I remember this one also…we kind of laughed that the CL pic was taken through a window with reflections, but really cool looking colors! :thumbup:

Hey Billy, wasn't there a guy in Phoenix that had an Ebony like this, had minimal miles, something like <20k, and about 3-4 yrs ago was asking nearly $20k….didn't it also have the red accents??? Anybody???

VcrossEbRd
01/11/2013, 05:19 AM
Well yea it was on Cl here in Dallas and ended up buying it. 118k and seems to run great for the 200 or so miles I've put on it thus far. Brakes need to be done soon and I still have to get the CEL code checked.
Sorry for the pic thru the window, it's the only one I had from the Cl post. I will take my own this wkend and take this one off here.
Thanks again for everyones input...

VX KAT
01/11/2013, 07:33 AM
Sorry for the pic thru the window, it's the only one I had from the Cl post. I will take my own this wkend and take this one off here.

wasn't a negative on you, just funny a person trying to sell a vehicle would use a pic like that.

VcrossEbRd
01/14/2013, 06:33 PM
Ok so this wkend I didn't have as much time to work on the VX but did get the front brake pads changed and much better now. As far as the CEL I started with just disconnecting the battery overnight and it worked! However one day later, 25 miles later it's back on. :(. So now I'm wondering what I should look at next? I'm assuming most of you will say EGR. Again gascap is good due to a sign of pressure release at the gas station filling up.

VcrossEbRd
01/14/2013, 06:35 PM
No worries Kat. None taken :)

evillecutter
01/15/2013, 06:40 AM
the only cel i have had was from bad o2 sensors but if you are wanting to do some fairley inexpensive preventative maintaince you can change all the fluids, grease your drivetrain nipples, replace the pcv valve, idle control valve, throttle position sensor, and fuel pressure regulator - then a little more expensive is mass air flow sensor and egr valve -again, both easy to do yourself - the fluids and greasing of nipples made a huge difference with the way my vx drove - well, that and buying a set of decent new tires

VxSport
01/15/2013, 07:07 AM
I am assuming that you haven't had a chance to get your vx scanned yet. I am a firm believer in changing all fluids when buying a used vehicle.
Our cel would come on and off when I first bought it. I scanned it, came up with a code for the IAC, replaced and no problem since. Autozone will do for free, or sell you a std scanner for $40 (I think).
Post the code when you get it

Ok so this wkend I didn't have as much time to work on the VX but did get the front brake pads changed and much better now. As far as the CEL I started with just disconnecting the battery overnight and it worked! However one day later, 25 miles later it's back on. :(. So now I'm wondering what I should look at next? I'm assuming most of you will say EGR. Again gascap is good due to a sign of pressure release at the gas station filling up.

VX KAT
01/15/2013, 07:41 AM
Here's a list of all the OBDII codes:

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Encyclopedia&op=viewarticle&id=40

evillecutter
01/15/2013, 08:45 AM
Here's a list of all the OBDII codes:

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.php?name=Encyclopedia&op=viewarticle&id=40

glass half full: every day i dont have a check engine light 872 things are going right for me

Allison3371
01/15/2013, 10:08 AM
I had the CEL when I bought mine. It was a P0440 code. That was a mega bummer since it's a BS code that can mean about anything! Gas cap I hear being the most common. However, mine was related to a wiring harness issue. A wire that effects the emmissions reporting of some sort had come loose. That's all it was. The shop was able to fix it without me buying the $600 harness thank goodness! It evidently was a bear to locate the issue though!

vt_maverick
01/15/2013, 10:29 AM
Not to be a jerk here but you're wasting your time and money to do ANYTHING before you get the code scanned, especially disconnecting the battery. That's literally the equivalent of watching a virus delete files and blue screen your PC and then rebooting to see if it magically goes away. Scanning is free at AutoZone or Advance and you can buy your own scanner on the cheap from a number of sources. So what the heck is the delay?

evillecutter
01/15/2013, 11:11 AM
disconnecting the battery and resetting the computer is more the equivilant of turning off your cell phone or home computer to let it reboot and go through the checks a second time - in this case a 13 year old cell phone/computer - sorry if i offended anyone with my suggestion

vt_maverick
01/15/2013, 11:38 AM
Sorry EC, didn't mean to insult your recommendation at all. What I should have said is that (IMHO) it would be better to read the code THEN disconnect the battery to see if it goes away. If the code had gone away without scanning first you might have no idea what happened, and if it didn't you just wasted time you could have been driving to get it scanned.

Sorry again!

tom4bren
01/15/2013, 12:26 PM
mav,

There's really no problem with clearing the code without reading it. If it's a persistent problem, it'll come back. If the CEL doesn't come back on, then it's safe to assume that a homotron got in the electrical system.

BTW, last I checked, AutoZone will read the code but are no longer allowed to erase it (may actually be state law).

Tom

evillecutter
01/15/2013, 12:52 PM
Sorry EC, didn't mean to insult your recommendation at all. What I should have said is that (IMHO) it would be better to read the code THEN disconnect the battery to see if it goes away. If the code had gone away without scanning first you might have no idea what happened, and if it didn't you just wasted time you could have been driving to get it scanned.

Sorry again!

you are correct :flower:

VcrossEbRd
01/15/2013, 04:00 PM
Thanks for everyones input here. Now it seems I will have to drive 30, 40, 50, miles or so for the OBC to reset since I disconnected the battery. I think I even saw 1k miles? Ugh.... I did recall seeing a post at half tank it takes a reading also. Am I correct that if the light is off now and comes back on at whichever mileage above, that I'm good to get it scanned? Major reason I'm asking is that inspection was due last month... :(
Overwelmed with the positive feedback peeps! Thanks....

pbkid
01/15/2013, 04:18 PM
Ya, seems pretty simple to get it scanned and you can narrow down possible issues from 1,000,000,000 to less than 50.

Not to offend either, but basically you are saying, i have a car, with an issue, that happens when i drive, suggestions?

FlyingV77
01/15/2013, 09:45 PM
If you need a shop in dallas that is familure with a VX try Mastertech in Mesquite. Off of 635 near the rodeo. They have done all the work on mine.