PDA

View Full Version : Yay, my first CEL!

HeckaTrebeka
02/06/2013, 06:09 AM
So my CEL just popped on this weekend. I didn't notice any power loss, but I didn't drive much since I the light came on. I'm due for a tune up anyway, so I'll be dropping a grand on maintenance... I wish I had the tools and knowledge and time to do all this myself, but I've started a new project on a MR2 and will be putting my time into getting that bugger up and running well. I'm still planning on having the VX trail ready for the coming few months!

tom4bren
02/06/2013, 06:36 AM
A Grand for a tune up??? All of my vehicles are jealous.

IRT to the CEL:

1. it may not be tune up related so you may want to get the code read before you take it in. It could be as simple as cleaning the MAF or as complicated as a leaking head gasket. I get a CEL on my Eclipse once or twice a week. It's either a P0128 or a P0214 (I think ... maybe it's a P0421). Both are related to the engine running too cold ... nothing to worry about in my case (I'm running without a thermostat ... don't ask).

2. you should be OK to drive it with the CEL if it's on steady. That just means that you need to have the diagnostics run soon.

3. if that sucker is flashing though, service is required immediately.

Anyway - hope it's something simple/cheap.

HeckaTrebeka
02/06/2013, 06:43 AM
Yeah the light is on steady. Just came on when I started the vehicle up after it was running for an hour or so. I'm due to have the timing belt/spark plugs/water pump/axle seals/trans seals replaced. Might as well get all that crap done and while my mechanic is at it, he can run codes.

Leon R
02/06/2013, 09:11 AM
Remember that stores like Autozone and Advance Auto Parts will read your codes for free!

I would start with this opton. It could be something as simple as leaving your gas cap partially loose!