PDA

View Full Version : Shocks -What's Good

gunbarrelvx
02/11/2013, 04:40 AM
Just got a bunch of work done on the Gunbarrel this past weekend and noticed the original shocks are still on there and most likely fried. Do I need a reservoir?

What would you recommend for a good shock?

VxSport
02/11/2013, 06:26 AM
Hello
Most if not all of your replacement options won't have the added Reservoir. Many members have changed their shock to RS9000 because they are adjustable. Oem shocks may be available thru Isuzu. I run an oversized shock by OME thru RockyRoadOutfitters.com.

Cobrajet
02/11/2013, 02:46 PM
Don't throw out your original shocks! They can be recharged and may work better than a new set of Ranchos. I've got the Ranchos on mine now because one of mine was clearly leaking. Another broke off during removal. BUT, I have a complete set of original shocks waiting to go on the day I get less procrastinacious than Tom. :)

VxSport
02/11/2013, 03:06 PM
Thats good to know that the oem can be re-charged. I have a set of oem for the next project to check out. I will have to pull them out of storage, one was leaking.

Don't throw out your original shocks! They can be recharged and may work better than a new set of Ranchos. I've got the Ranchos on mine now because one of mine was clearly leaking. Another broke off during removal. BUT, I have a complete set of original shocks waiting to go on the day I get less procrastinacious than Tom. :)

gunbarrelvx
02/11/2013, 04:56 PM
Really? Rebuilding the old shocks is better than a set of ranchos????

wilmington nc styers
02/11/2013, 05:20 PM
I just got my shocks from rusty's offraod monotube shock r-211 for 99.00 they have a remote res shock available for 149.00 just my opinion they are great for me as you may see we are a wide variety of opinions so figure your driving on or off road extreme or occasional trail rider the ultimate choice is yours good luck

RickOKC
02/11/2013, 06:22 PM
Really? Rebuilding the old shocks is better than a set of ranchos????
I'm gonna have to say... "there's a very good chance!" I recently met a local VX-er and he took me for a ride in his VX. He had stock-type tires and the original shocks and I was really surprised by how much more comfortable the ride was in his VX vs. mine. I have the Rancho RS900s yet his rode so much better than mine. I also have taller, somewhat more offroad-spec-type tires and used-but-better OEM springs than what was on my VX when I bought it. It was a BIG difference! :)

tom4bren
02/12/2013, 03:58 AM
I just got my OME shocks (from Independent4X) in yesterday. I'll post on ride quality after I install them. Hope to get it out of the body shop today & into the alignment shop before the end of the week. Fortunately/Unfortunately I won't be able to get them on this weekend since I have to run to Philly to visit my new nephew (born a week ago). But at least it'll give me a chance to test drive the Proton with the new ball joints & stuff before the shocks go on so that I can tell if there are any improvements in ride quality (yah, the ball joints were THAT bad).

sk8home
02/20/2013, 02:18 PM
I've called a few places in No. California to see who would recharge shocks but nothing, any suggestions? thk

tom4bren
02/20/2013, 02:34 PM
Supposedly this guy does them:

http://brucessuspension.com/index.htm

Don't know for sure though.

JoFotoz
02/20/2013, 06:14 PM
I run Calmini shocks.....

....and I like them for my range of driving.

Beware though, they do extend longer than stock....

...and unless Zip tied or clamped the coils can fall out if you really flex to the max.

As I found out . :eek:

Jo

tom4bren
02/21/2013, 05:16 AM
Well, your shock should NOT be the stop for suspension travel anyway!!!

HeckaTrebeka
02/21/2013, 06:48 AM
I'm gonna have to say... "there's a very good chance!" I recently met a local VX-er and he took me for a ride in his VX. He had stock-type tires and the original shocks and I was really surprised by how much more comfortable the ride was in his VX vs. mine. I have the Rancho RS900s yet his rode so much better than mine. I also have taller, somewhat more offroad-spec-type tires and used-but-better OEM springs than what was on my VX when I bought it. It was a BIG difference! :)

The way you have the shocks tuned also greatly affects the ride quality. That and the spring rate. You might want to see if you can adjust those Rancho's so that they're softer. Also, make sure your rear bump stops aren't pegging the axels which would cause a rougher ride over bumps.