PDA

View Full Version : New leak, not sure what the source is. Pic included.

JHarris1385
02/23/2013, 11:04 AM

First time posting pic from iPad and from outside...

JHarris1385
02/23/2013, 11:12 AM
Guess I should ask what would cause this and how to repair. The VX shop manual finally uploaded on the iPad and its the oil cooler hose which other than what the name implies I am not sure how it works. I do overheat and am draining the coolant and putting a head gasket repair fluid in it today.

Y33TREKker
02/23/2013, 11:25 AM
Are those the transmission oil cooler lines going into the radiator? As far as I know, the stock VX doesn't have an external engine oil cooler. I'd make sure what kind of fluid you're seeing before doing anything drastic like adding something like a head-gasket repair fluid (which sounds like an automotive industry snake-oil to me).

If it's draining down to that point on the hose from the radiator, it will either be engine coolant, or transmission fluid. If it's getting to that point on the hose from the other direction, it's possible it could be engine oil, but it seems it would have to be coming from a substantial leak. The fact that the radiator looks kind of dark/wet up near where that hose goes into the radiator though leads me to believe it's a leak at the radiator.

VxSport
02/23/2013, 05:03 PM
you are correct.... the two smaller lines are trans cooler lines. If your vx is original (those hoses original) it is posible you are small cracks at the end. each hose is only about 18" and has oem pressure clamps on it. I did replace ours last year. You can buy the hose at Napa auto parts (Trans cooler hose).

What color is the fluid dripping (redish, oil is Trans),

xvsport

Triathlete
02/23/2013, 06:19 PM
Yep, I just changed mine also. The old ones were super brittle. If your trans fluid is low it can cause overheating also.

bartmanS4
02/23/2013, 09:09 PM
Now that I've got a 5 spd in is there any advantage to using this as an engine oil cooler?

JHarris1385
02/25/2013, 09:48 PM
Looks like I will have to add replacement of these lines to my list!

Y33TREKker
02/26/2013, 11:00 AM
Any chance there could be other related problems with this leak that have been causing the problem in the other thread you posted to recently? What kind of fluid did this leak turn out to be? Have you checked your transmission fluid level lately? If it's low and your trans has been getting hotter than normal, maybe the hotter transmission oil running through the cooling lines in your radiator have been causing your engine coolant to overheat.

SilverBullet75
02/26/2013, 11:21 AM
Now that I've got a 5 spd in is there any advantage to using this as an engine oil cooler?

That's a really interesting idea.
Technically it would work (just clean out the trans cooler real well before hand).

I've been looking at the oil filter mount... there are 2 hole plugs that look to be possible inlet/outlets that could be used for fittings for an external cooler.

Sorry for the thread jack!

SilverBullet75
02/26/2013, 11:26 AM

The good news is that these are VERY easy to replace.
You could even use fuel lines with the proper inner diameter.
(I did... 2 yrs ago.)

JHarris1385
02/26/2013, 04:20 PM
So just replace the rubber and not worry about the metal fitments?

The color is a darker amber.

SilverBullet75
02/26/2013, 08:19 PM
I'd also replace the hose clamps with screw-type clamps.
(is that what you mean by fitments?)

Y33TREKker
02/27/2013, 02:23 PM
So just replace the rubber and not worry about the metal fitments?

The color is a darker amber.
An amber color would probably be old(er)antifreeze, since transmission fluid is usually more red or reddish-brown in color, but if the fluid has been in use for awhile, it could kind of go either way. Do you have some extra antifreeze and transmission fluid around to compare the actual smell of the fluid? Antifreeze has something of a sweet smell, and transmission fluid smells more like...uhm...an armpit? :bwgy: Yeah, not the best smelling stuff ever made.

VxSport
02/27/2013, 03:22 PM
They do make special rubber lines (sold by the ft) for ATF trans lines. It is stamped ATF on the side. Should be available at any auto parts that sells auto hoses in bulk. I found them at napa, brought in a section of the old hose.

QUOTE=SilverBullet75;276178]The good news is that these are VERY easy to replace.
You could even use fuel lines with the proper inner diameter.
(I did... 2 yrs ago.)[/QUOTE]

VxSport
02/27/2013, 03:30 PM
Looking at the pic.... I would replace the ATF hoses, clean area up and see if there is any other leaks. It is important to know what it is that is leaking. However if these lines are oem, they are the most likely to be leaking in the area.
If it is antifreese.... remove the lower Rad hose (have pan(s) under) and inspect it. If it is oem (original) then it would also be likely to leak. Our vx had all original hoses on it when we got it. Most have been replaced now, originals would be 13-15 years old.