PDA

View Full Version : CV trouble!

AlaskaVX
10/28/2003, 11:27 AM
HEY EVERYONE, Boarzhead just called me up, I guess his CV finally went out, and he can't find anyone to rebuild it, or anywhere to buy one for a descent price. He wanted me to post since his computer is down. I know absolutely nothing about CV's or suspension work so I could't really tell you his exact problem, but he mentioned things like CV axle and CV joints. He is trying to get his VX running good again before it snows so quick responses will be very appreciated! Remember he has a 3" suspension and 3" body lift. Any info or questions are good, I can just give him a call to get the answers to the questions and whatnot. And if your the champ of replacing CV's I can just give him your number and have him call you or whatever works.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!

ScubaSteve
10/28/2003, 11:40 AM
what is teh problem? did he just tear the boot or is the joint popping? if it's popping he can still safely drive it - just needs to get it into the shop asap. if it's just the boot (an honest mechanic -- i know... oxymoron -- can tell u if the joint is fine), that can be replaced for around $100 (trust me, just did it with my camry). he'll need an alignment afterwards, but it's really not THAT big a deal. in fact, if he's slightly mechanically inclined he can change it himself. if the CV joint is bad, then they have to replace that side of the halfshaft (shorter end or longer end depending on which side it's on)... i believe the left side is the shorter of the two, or at least it is on "yo's"... if that's the case, more like $200ish, but also something he can do on his own.

speaking of CV boots & joints... i was just under there checking mine over the weekend... is there anything out there to protect your joint other than just the rubber CV boot? maybe a 2-piece aluminum (or aluminium for u brits) enclosure that fits around it and attaches to itself? reason being, unless you check under your truck relatively often, there's no way to know you tore a boot until your CV joint starts popping when you turn, and by then it's usually too late! Looks like a $20 preventative fix to save you $200 in the long run.... do the math.

what can i say, i like to drive over fallen trees........... Isabel was a field day:)

AlaskaVX
10/28/2003, 12:00 PM
OK now I understand more, he needs an entire CV axle (comes out of transfer case), or all the parts to rebuild one. No one here in town can find part numers for any of the seals, bearings, pins, etc. to rebuild it. His boots are torn. I guess the TOD really makes it pop while accelerating. He would also like to know which wire is the TOD wire so he can hook a switch to it (I will start searching for that).
Thanks again!

AlaskaVX
10/28/2003, 12:30 PM
Light blue wire from pin #4 right? Anything else besides just adding the switch?

AREA 51
10/28/2003, 01:14 PM
He could try contacting [http://www.allhyundaiisuzuparts.com] in Cal. . They have 2 or 3 VX's.

ojmagg
10/28/2003, 02:01 PM
After cleaning the boot, try spraying the with silicone...

newthings
10/28/2003, 02:11 PM
The light blue wire has a line of silver dots. There is only ONE light blue wire.
If you add unlocking hubs from Warn or Superwinch, then the front end will not turn or be turned.
Roy

AlaskaVX
10/28/2003, 02:19 PM
Alright he found what he needed at a junkyard in Rhode Island, so thanks for all the help! He snipped the TOD wire and now that seems to have solved the problem for the meantime!

This forum RULES!!!!!!!!!!!! Boarzhead said to thank everyone for the help!

Green Dragon
10/28/2003, 02:46 PM
OK one more time; We are running out of salvaged VXs.

I destroyed a CV joint (Driver side) & had the CV rebuilt with new boots & bands for $85.60 out the door. Beautiful work. If yours goes out give them a call & you could UPS it out to them.

Precision CV Axle
1923 HWY 50 East
Carson City, NV 89701
775 885 9209

Dragon Bob;Db;

AlaskaVX
10/28/2003, 02:52 PM
THANKS A BUNCH BOB!!!!! :thumbup:

BigMeatVX
10/29/2003, 06:24 PM
Drop the front axle housing 1/2 as many inches as you lift it ....and the CV's last WAY longer (esp. w/ball joint flip)

There are some pics of DROP BRACKETS I made, in my gallery.

Allan