PDA

View Full Version : Need help vx won't turn over

subject47
03/13/2013, 01:36 PM
So my vx will not turn over the battery is fully charged. I have pulled the entire middle console out tryi g to hunt down the problem. It is acting like the park neutral switch any ideas.

subject47
03/13/2013, 01:40 PM
Ok so a last ditch effort I was trying while I was typing worked for some reason. All I needed to do was disco the battery for a few and hook it back up which reset the computer. Weird that, that would fix it.

MSHardeman
03/13/2013, 01:53 PM
Mine did this the other day and gave me a good scare. The VX started just fine in the morning and I drove about a mile to get gas. After getting gas I went to start the VX, turned the key and.......NOTHING. No click, no turn over, no nothing. I know the battery was fully charged and I had lights, radio, and all other electricals. I did notice that the steering wheel was not locking when I took the key out (I still don't think it's locking now) so I figured it had something to do with that. I shook the steering wheel back and forth while turning the key and she eventually started right up. Haven't had a problem since, but I'm keeping an eye on it.

HeckaTrebeka
03/13/2013, 01:55 PM
I'm imagining how to disco a battery...
:dance:::rotate::dance::dance:

IndianaVX
03/13/2013, 01:58 PM
I think our VX's fix themselves more than any other vehicle ive ever owned

subject47
03/13/2013, 01:59 PM
Typing on phone disco so much shorter.

subject47
03/13/2013, 02:10 PM
Well it has done it again. And this time disconnecting the battery had no effect. Neither did wiggling the wheel. But it isn't locking either how strange

HeckaTrebeka
03/13/2013, 02:16 PM
Starter, maybe? If you can get to the starter with a wrench, tap on it a few times and then try to start it again. If it works, then could be a loose coil wire in the starter. OR, you might need to replace the plate that depresses the button to free up the shifter as those plates are prone to have worn holes or dips in them where they're supposed to push the button in... I forget where that thread was and I'm at work so I can't go searching for it.

subject47
03/13/2013, 02:19 PM
So if I rapidly turn the key from off to start on the fourth turn to start I get a loud beep from what sounds like outside the truck. Could it be the ignition shut off anti theft system going crazy?

subject47
03/13/2013, 02:33 PM
[QUOTE=subject47;277098]So if I rapidly turn the key from off to run on the fifth turn to run I get a loud beep from what sounds like outside the truck. Could it be the ignition shut off anti theft system going crazy?

subject47
03/13/2013, 03:25 PM
Hmm so I must have really fat thumbs the quote one post up was ment to be an edit lol

VXorado
03/13/2013, 03:35 PM
My wife's car acts very similar when the immobilizer glitches. So I would agree it might have somthing to do with the alarm system.

MSHardeman
03/13/2013, 04:43 PM
For mine, it actually took a couple of times of wiggling the wheel and turning the key for it to finally catch and start. I would wiggle/turn key, stop wiggling/turn key off, wiggle/turn key, etc. I am wondering if this does, indeed, have something to do with the safety features of the VX. Since the steering wheel isn't locking when the key is out something is wrong in the steering column (to my mind) and that could be causing the no start issue.:_confused

Triathlete
03/13/2013, 05:21 PM
Check your ground cable...

subject47
03/13/2013, 05:44 PM
Ground cable for what. Everything else is working. The battery is tight and fully charged it would be better if I wasn't sitting in a parking lot. Or if I could jump the starter

Triathlete
03/13/2013, 06:01 PM
Look for loose connectors on either end, excessive corrosion. The corrosion can seep down the cable even if the terminals are clean...enough juice will get through for the smaller components (lights, stereo etc) to work but not enough to turn the starter. Happened to mine. Replaced cable (top portion...the lower portion ties into the wire harness) and has had no problems since.

subject47
03/13/2013, 06:11 PM
Makes sence but why would disconnecting the battery work once but 30 mins later it not want to start again. It does sound like the starter relay is clicking but normally a bad connection or a weak battery will still lead to some noise from the starter. The earlier start sounded as strong as ever which also leads me away from a bad battery connection. At this point it's looking like I will have to get a tow. But knowing my luck it will start once in the morning and leave me stranded somewhere else

subject47
03/14/2013, 06:05 AM
Well after trying to jump the truck thinking the 14.5 volts might help push past any corrosion in the cable I'm out of ideas and am getting it towed to a better location my garage.

VxSport
03/14/2013, 06:33 AM
just thinking and typing....
steering column switch? it controls the lock pin on the column. If it is not locking, it might not let the vx start. The Ignition lock switch (right) plugs into the Ignition switch control (left side in column) and it has wiring plug on it.
trying to help....
I haven't had any simular problems with the vx

subject47
03/14/2013, 07:30 AM
Well I got the wheel to lock. I had to turn it 1.5 turns but it locked. It's home now the toe truck driver managed to back it right into the garage so further application of the bfh can be done out of the cold

Y33TREKker
03/14/2013, 03:41 PM
You might try removing and reseating the Starter Relay and the Starter Cut Relay in the engine bay fuse box. Have you noticed any erratic illumination of the gear position indicator lights on your dash as this has been happening?

subject47
03/14/2013, 06:08 PM
Nothing weird on the dash while attempting to start. Only weird light display is on the fifth turn from off to run. I get a loud beep from out side the truck and all the lights on the dash flash once

subject47
03/15/2013, 06:41 PM
Ok so small update, it is not the the security system or the park neutral switch. The starter relay itself is activating but havering no affect on the start. So nw Saturday after work I have to jump the selonoid to rule out a bad starter if that's good I'll have to trace wires.

subject47
03/19/2013, 11:19 AM
So finally figured it out. After making a small modification to the inner fender so I could get to the starter. All it took was a wiggle of the signal wire connector to the starter and she fired up. My guess is that it shook loose now all I have to do is secure it and hope it doesn't come loose on the trail this weekend