PDA

View Full Version : I brake for ABS

WormGod
03/19/2013, 07:12 AM
Been driving my VX the past couple of days since the STi is in the shop for some "fun stuff". Of course, having the ABS light staring back at me is nothing new. But what is new is the "BRAKE" light staring at me. It tends to go off after a while of driving, but it always seems to come back once I park and come back to it later.

I thought maybe it was a sticking emergency brake line, but I purposely stopped using the E brake when I was parked for a while. It just magically appears on start-up. So, not related.

Behind the wheel, it feels different than when it is NOT on. I get full time pulsating, much like the feel of ABS, but ALWAYS. Even just idle speed, the pulsating lurches the truck just a bit as it rolls along. And then there's the squeak. Clearly, there is contact occurring. When the light magically goes off, the pulsating goes away and the squeak with it. I also noticed this past winter, a heavy build up of brake dust on both front wheels. I mean HEAVY. More than my STi with it's Brembos. So, clearly, there is an ugly issue in the frontal system.

I have my 60K coming up in a couple hundred miles, so I am gonna have them disassemble the whole line, from ABS down to the pads. I am prepared to drop the $$ to get it corrected. I am too old and lazy to do anything myself anymore, so that's the price have to pay, heh.

MSHardeman
03/19/2013, 08:00 AM
I don't know about the pulsing and squeaking when the Brake light is on, but the last time my brake light came on it was just low on fluid. Open the hood and check the brake reservoir to make sure that there is enough fluid in it. Might be just as simple as topping it off.:_confused Worth a shot.

Triathlete
03/19/2013, 08:32 AM
Sticking caliber and warped rotor?

tom4bren
03/19/2013, 08:38 AM
I agree. Start by topping off the brake fluid. Then get your calipers cleaned up & moving freely. Whilst they have the calipers off, get the rotors turned (they may not be warped but may have an uneven surface if the VX sat for a long time & got a nice layer of surface rust built up (but not where the pad was sitting)).

WormGod
03/19/2013, 10:25 AM
Ya, fluid is good. Checked that first.

I am leaning towards a warped front right rotor or seizing caliper. I had my left front caliper replaced about 3k miles ago due to heavy corrosion and seizing, so it may be that is the issue on the front right as well now.

When it rains it pours. Been a rough last 2 weeks with cars for me.

Y33TREKker
03/19/2013, 11:06 AM
Any chance there might also be some sort of buildup on one of your front ABS speed sensors? Wouldn't some excess dirt or rust fooling one of the speed sensors into "seeing" one of the wheels as not-turning/locked-up start pulsing the ABS system?

Other than that possibility, the brake fluid being low is the simplest reason for the "Brake" light remaining on.