PDA

View Full Version : this guy wants isuzu in his rx8

ABDragonVX
04/02/2013, 12:07 PM
I was doing a little searching on our engines and....this recent forum popped up. This guy wants to put an isuzu v6 in his rx8. feel free to read - warning - its very long and he hasnt done anything yet just asking questions. after reading 19 pages i felt obligated to sign up and tell him NOOOOO, haha
thoughts and opinions welcome, i clearly have nothing better to do.

http://www.rx8club.com/major-horsepower-upgrades-93/kickers-official-v6-swap-thread-241226/page19/

vt_maverick
04/02/2013, 12:51 PM
Oh boy, now you've done it. Cross-forum flaming is sure to follow. ;)

Blows my mind that the guy is so argumentative with someone who actually owns an Isuzu. But if he knows of a yard with these prices I might just tag along:

Engines are $300-500 for any engine in the yard, $50 for ECU and $50 for complete harness. Transmissions are $100~200 if I recall correctly for any trans in the yard.
And comments like this would suggest he has no idea how significant the oil consumption issue really is.

Facts about the swap that can not be argued.
-Better gas mileage
-Less oil consumption
Lastly I'd be interested to know where he found that "the 6VE1 has been built to 813hp." If that's true I shudder to think how much oil that guy must go through between changes. :laughy:

It seems that most people who post these types of threads end up seeing their dreams killed early on when they run into a problem they can't solve or run out of money because it's more expensive than what they thought. The sad thing in this situation is that the guy might actually be knowledgeable enough to go all the way through with it, in which case he won't find out what a mistake he's made until the very end when the oil consumption is just as bad as before and the improvements in performance and fuel economy are nominal.

ABDragonVX
04/02/2013, 02:53 PM
I'm not trying to flame, just give him a heads up about what's actually involved. I don't get the brand association like some people (recall a certain jeep thread on here lol). Anyway I've seen high powered Isuzu v6s but they're completely one off builds on standalone engine management. Not a junkyard engine hehe. I'm not doing it to harrass or be a jerk. Just really hate when people act on incomplete or bad info.
And it seems like he might be able to pull it off from what I've seen and I agree with what you said about him being disappointed at that point.

VXorado
04/02/2013, 04:01 PM
Nice ABDragon. He has a point... if he never sees Troopers smoking, clearly there is no oil burning. It's just something the VX community made up to scare people away. :_confused

Leon R
04/04/2013, 08:23 AM
Wow, just wow... Being often attracted to unique, but underpowered cars (Fiero, Triumph TR7, Mitsu Starion and now... VX ;) ), I have been fascinated by engine swaps since high-school. So I LOVE cars with swapped engines! I have been closely following dozens of different swap engines and did a couple of such projects myself.

The rule of thumb for engine swap for a performance car is that the new engine should make 200-300% the power of the original power plant. Otherwise, IT NOT WORTH THE EFFORT!!! So, right there, this is a wrong engine choice! Next, you should look at things like: physical size, weight, and SUPPORTING PARTS!!! Isuzu is then DQed by SUPPORTING PARTS category!

Next fact about engine swaps: They are almost never as reliable or as well engineered as OEM engine installations! So you end up problems like: improper engine mounts, terrible maintenance access, questionable wiring, excessive under hood heat.

Best engine swap project is if it was originally offered by the manufacturer (like putting a V8 into a V6 Mustang, using mostly OEM parts), next is a swap kit developed by a reputable company (there are several companies who offer V8 kits for RX7...., but those tend to be pricy).

IF he was some Isuzu fanatic and just HAD TO use this engine to prove a point, then I understand. But he isn't... I would have said this he is trolling RX8 site for flames, but he actually did LOTS of research! Finding LOT of good information for US to know! :) So the longer he stays on this topic the better it is for US! Please do not discourage him!!!

But is it true that our engine is related to a Northstar? Or did I read it wrong?

ABDragonVX
04/04/2013, 05:31 PM
Don't think our engine is related to a northstar. I mentioned it because if I keep my vehicross long enough its going to be getting an lc3. I agree with most of what you say but just wish he'd pick a better engine lol, even the v6 from a 350z or something. But if he ends up building the engine and using a custom piston drilled to handle the oil issue, ill be interested in what comes out of it. Plus he's not going to be tuning the engine, just piggybacking and I think hes going to run into problems. My 2 cents.

Leon R
04/04/2013, 06:18 PM
It wasn't what you said, someone else mentioned it.

http://www.rx8club.com/major-horsepower-upgrades-93/kickers-official-v6-swap-thread-241226/page5/#post4400489

But I think that they were talking about another GM engine.

ABDragonVX
04/04/2013, 07:20 PM
Ah. Perfect, thanks for the clarity

bartmanS4
04/04/2013, 08:09 PM
You should start another thread claiming you are going to swap an Rx8 engine to your VX and flame on! :bgwb:

ABDragonVX
04/04/2013, 09:09 PM
That would be too funny. Claim I'm doing a turbo rotary vx. Haha

frakkin toaster
04/04/2013, 10:55 PM
that rotary in the rx8 is a slow turd...also its n/a. you could almost put anything in there and it would be an improvement lol.

i have a 93 rx7 twin turbo rotary and i love it, love it, love it....when its running that is.

alnielsen
04/18/2013, 11:57 AM
Oh boy, now you've done it. Cross-forum flaming is sure to follow. ;)
Hello, I'm a moderator on RX8Club. We have a rule against cross-forum trolling and anyone to do so will be sent to "Time-Out" (temp ban).

Thanks for your interest in our forum.

samneil2000
04/18/2013, 01:48 PM
Hello, I'm a moderator on RX8Club. We have a rule against cross-forum trolling and anyone to do so will be sent to "Time-Out" (temp ban).

ohhhhhh

You guys got in trouble! :bgwb:

BigSwede
04/18/2013, 02:28 PM
that rotary in the rx8 is a slow turd...also its n/a. you could almost put anything in there and it would be an improvement lol.

i have a 93 rx7 twin turbo rotary and i love it, love it, love it....when its running that is.

So I guess you are used to oil burning motors already...

89Vette
04/18/2013, 03:04 PM

Don't you just love a moderator -- who comes to "visit" -- and can only think to send out warnings. What a fa-rend-ly guy :rollo:...

Yeah...welcome to our forum too.

bartmanS4
04/18/2013, 03:11 PM
You've got to be kidding...

Perhaps they don't have the high level of emotional maturity we exhibit on this forum and need a heavy handed moderator. But to actually go and register on another forum just to post your terms of use??? What a joke.

vt_maverick
04/18/2013, 05:10 PM

The only person from this board to comment on the RX-8 board is ABDragon and his inputs are probably some of the most meaningful in that thread. It's interesting that a mod would consider banning one of us and NOT ban any of their own members that have repeatedly ridiculed the project in that thread. Not that the guy will ever log back in here to see my comment, just thought I'd comment.

Reading through their forum does remind me a lot of the G35 and 350Z forums I used to frequent. I'm so grateful to be here. :thumbup:

LittleBeast
04/18/2013, 08:32 PM
I used to own a RX-8. Sold it a couple of years ago. Really enjoyed that car!

My name on RX-8club is "Decat"

alnielsen
04/18/2013, 09:15 PM
I used to own a RX-8. Sold it a couple of years ago. Really enjoyed that car!

My name on RX-8club is "Decat"
Hi, ya.

I didn't come here to look, start or get anyone in trouble. This thread was mentioned and I wanted to check it out. It just seemed that one was worried about cross-forum trolling and I wanted to assure that that wouldn't happen. I have no power here. Even there, I only get involved when someone gets childish.
I also have a Jeep Cherokee and someone in my off-road club has a Vehicross.

ABDragonVX
04/19/2013, 08:01 AM
I love this forum and the guys/gals that frequent here. Never seen anyone bashing like I've read on the srt, wsc, and recently rx forums. I've only tried to warn kicker, but he's set on it and from there I did offer my assistance. I just wish he'd actually consider the things previous owners have mentioned. all the other comments there make it hard to sift through the exellent material and points he has brought up and he seems capable of pulling it off but he seems to expect a bullet proof car in the end.... Most of the trolling is coming from their own members who from my knowledge have yet to get time outs.

Also a little crushed to find out that Decat was just little beast :) haha thought I found another owner, should've known better

Leon R
04/19/2013, 05:21 PM

THIS sounds like cross-forum trolling...

Can someone please invoke his own rule and suspend him for a while? :)

kickerfox
05/08/2013, 06:45 PM
I just came by to say hi! I hope some of what I'm doing can help you guys. Your welcome to copy/paste any information you feel would benefit the Vehicross community.

I'm aiming to twin turbo the 6VD1@10psi on the stock 9.8:1 pistons and rods. I've tuned custom FI setups with both the EMS (standalone) and the FIC (piggy) and the FIC is very capable of FI tuning on this engine while maintaining OBD2 emissions. My hopes my be high but if I pull it off, more power to Isuzu. I think it's a great engine despite some of it's *manageable* flaws. Yes, the pistons are getting drilled but my engine is on the bench for a bit until I find a crank. Mine wound up having a badly worn thrust bearing.

I'll try and find the info about the 800+ HP build. It's some company out of Australia and I spoke with the owner about it. The only thing to note was it used a stock crank. I personally find that hard to believe but I'll know soon enough if it'll hold the ~380hp I'll put though it.

Here it is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5tE55DAFKo It's owned by Luke Amanatidis. If you find any more info on it keep me posted.

Looks like he has some traction issues but it's scootin'. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYQqY2V0MuI

bartmanS4
05/08/2013, 08:21 PM
If you can come up with a cost effective turbo setup for these I would guess there would be a lot of interest. Keep us in the loop.

kickerfox
05/08/2013, 08:37 PM
Will do but since I don't have a VX/Rodeo/Trooper/BBQ I won't be much help. I will be updating my build thread as the project progresses and will definitely know how the v6 responds to boost.

Does anyone happen to know the factory rev-limit on a '99 3.2L Rodeo? I'd like to turn 7k out of it if the ECU lets me. That's one disadvantage to a piggyback.