PDA

View Full Version : gas smell

H3_VX
04/05/2013, 07:29 PM
Gas smell coming from vx. Common vx thing? Possible leak? Just started tonight. Dangerous to drive?

SilverBullet75
04/05/2013, 09:38 PM
I believe that is one of the symptoms of a bad fuel pressure regulator.

H3_VX
04/06/2013, 06:40 AM
I believe that is one of the symptoms of a bad fuel pressure regulator.

thanks. I'll look into that.

edit: just ordered a regulator. Even if that is not the issue it is only a $60 part. Can I drive the car safely if this is the problem until I get the part. Inhaling those fumes won't kill me, right? :-O

PK
04/06/2013, 04:12 PM
Can I drive the car safely if this is the problem until I get the part. Inhaling those fumes won't kill me, right? :-O

Are you joking?????

If I had a gas smell coming from the engine bay, there is no way I would drive it until the leak was found and the danger assessed.
What happens if the leak is a pin prick squirting gas onto the hot exhaust??

To be fair, it probably isn't that, but there is no way I would take that risk.
With the amount of plastic we have, I imagine that our VX's would burn real well.

Please, check and find the leak before you drive it too far.

PK

H3_VX
04/06/2013, 06:09 PM
Are you joking?????

If I had a gas smell coming from the engine bay, there is no way I would drive it until the leak was found and the danger assessed.
What happens if the leak is a pin prick squirting gas onto the hot exhaust??

To be fair, it probably isn't that, but there is no way I would take that risk.
With the amount of plastic we have, I imagine that our VX's would burn real well.

Please, check and find the leak before you drive it too far.

PK

not coming from engine bay.no sign of leak

nocturnalVX
04/06/2013, 08:47 PM
I have had mine checked a few times because of a fuel odor, but everything checked out OK. The problem seems to happen more when it is cold out. The colder it gets, the more often/strongly a fuel smell is present. No leaks, and it has not become a rolling fireball either. I will however order a regulator and see if that fixes the problem.

Y33TREKker
04/08/2013, 09:40 AM
SEBACOQUI was talking about having a gas smell in his thread about a missing fpr vacuum hose. Maybe the gas you're smelling is due to a vacuum hose that's come off or is simply missing now too? If it's not a missing vacuum hose, maybe it's a bad clamp or hose that is split? A hose with a split would be more likely to leak when it's cold and not as pliable to help it form into a seal.

SEBACOQUI
04/08/2013, 01:08 PM
the vacuum hose it's missing, and went i put my hand in to see if i could find it, i felt a T connection with a short hose, that was disconnected and couldnt find out where was the hose suppose to be connected it to.

SilverBullet75
06/07/2013, 11:25 AM
Interesting... I'm having this issue again.
I replaced the FP Regulator last year.

It just started happening now that we are at 100 degrees+.

The VX is very sluggish in acceleration. When I get home it smells of strong gas fume odor.

So, yesterday when I got home I decided to loosen the gas cap to see it it's over pressurized for some reason. SURE ENOUGH. It gushed vapors.

Is the EVAP system not working properly? Wouldn't it throw a code if so?

Knigh7s
06/07/2013, 12:18 PM
Interesting... I'm having this issue again.
I replaced the FP Regulator last year.

It just started happening now that we are at 100 degrees+.

The VX is very sluggish in acceleration. When I get home it smells of strong gas fume odor.

So, yesterday when I got home I decided to loosen the gas cap to see it it's over pressurized for some reason. SURE ENOUGH. It gushed vapors.

Is the EVAP system not working properly? Wouldn't it throw a code if so?

Yeah, I got this yesterday as well. I got stuck in the 5pm rush hour traffic on I-15 and noticed my temp gauge creeping up, had to turn off the AC a few time for it to come back down. Got home, opened my door and had a rush of gas fumes through my nostrils. :mado: It seems to happen to me every summer...

Daly
06/07/2013, 12:21 PM
Just started two days ago. Nothing leaking under VX. Once vehicle turned on about 2 minutes later strong smell of gas. Checked nothing leaking when running. Once car sits awhile no smell.

SilverBullet75
06/07/2013, 02:30 PM
I've been reading threads on other forums for other cars and they all talk about overfilling gas, which plugs/fills the charcoal canister, or purge valve issues. They all agree that the issue is not normal.

I did recently fill my tank and "topped it off".
May have caused it myself...

Vendetta
06/07/2013, 02:50 PM
I've been reading threads on other forums for other cars and they all talk about overfilling gas, which plugs/fills the charcoal canister, or purge valve issues. They all agree that the issue is not normal.

I did recently fill my tank and "topped it off".
May have caused it myself...

I've been reading the same, just out of general interest regarding another car I own. I'll never "top off" any of my cars again. It's a vestige of the "full service" pump days - the attendant would keep on pumping until the next even dollar amount to avoid dealing with loose change.

Thing is, cars got more sophisticated (electronic filler doors, nozzle sensors, vapor traps, etc.) but we just kept on pumping the way we saw the man doing it back in the day.

-V