PDA

View Full Version : Rear LSD Rebuild?

Etfren
04/07/2013, 06:40 PM
So I had my VX up on a lift this weekend getting it prepped for Moab and while adjusting my e-brake we noticed that my rear diff doesn't seem to be locking up the way it should be. I changed the fluid with an LSD additive last year before Moab and have only driven about 7000 miles since then.

I had one brake tightened up a little much and put it in gear and only one rear wheel was spinning. I gave it some gas and still nothing. If I spin one wheel by hand, it turn the other one the opposite direction. If I turn one of the front wheels by hand, the other side front doesn't move much but the rear wheels spin together. Between me and my boss (I work at a shop) we decided that my LSD in the rear must be wearing out. I haven't found any threads on rebuilding it, but I'm not as good at the search engine as some others around here. :)

So basically, I'm wondering if it is indeed worn out and whats available for rebuild kits. Any options for getting more aggressive lock-up out of it as well?

Edit: Did a little looking and Indy4X has used LSD's for $150. Sounds like a good way to go so I don't have to mess with rebuilding mine, but I'm still looking for other suggestions and options.

https://www.independent4x.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?products_id=536

Marlin
04/08/2013, 12:46 PM
So I had my VX up on a lift this weekend getting it prepped for Moab and while adjusting my e-brake we noticed that my rear diff doesn't seem to be locking up the way it should be. I changed the fluid with an LSD additive last year before Moab and have only driven about 7000 miles since then.

I had one brake tightened up a little much and put it in gear and only one rear wheel was spinning. I gave it some gas and still nothing. If I spin one wheel by hand, it turn the other one the opposite direction. If I turn one of the front wheels by hand, the other side front doesn't move much but the rear wheels spin together. Between me and my boss (I work at a shop) we decided that my LSD in the rear must be wearing out. I haven't found any threads on rebuilding it, but I'm not as good at the search engine as some others around here. :)

So basically, I'm wondering if it is indeed worn out and whats available for rebuild kits. Any options for getting more aggressive lock-up out of it as well?

Edit: Did a little looking and Indy4X has used LSD's for $150. Sounds like a good way to go so I don't have to mess with rebuilding mine, but I'm still looking for other suggestions and options.

https://www.independent4x.com/merchantmanager/product_info.php?products_id=536

Don't worry about it, its not a necessity an save your pennies for either an aussie or ARB locker:)

orion
04/09/2013, 05:19 PM
And, that set is for the "modified" rear, and will not fit the VX.

Etfren
04/09/2013, 07:18 PM
And, that set is for the "modified" rear, and will not fit the VX.

Well thats good to know. Still wondering if there is a rebuild kit for them.

VXorado
04/10/2013, 09:39 PM
I don't know about a rebuild kit but I should be able to sell/trade you my old complete 3rd if you need it.

Leon R
04/11/2013, 06:16 AM
How about a more general question, what type of LSD is used in the rear of VX?

longiotti
07/13/2013, 02:37 PM
Good question mine is slipping also

JoFotoz
07/13/2013, 06:17 PM
I have a plug and play rear 3rd LSD FOR SALE ...

...with only 21,000 (approx) miles on it.

Its off the ORW..before I went 4.77's.

Looking for $275 plus shipping...

...its LIKE NEW!

Jo

ZeroSix
07/20/2013, 06:23 PM
I have been sitting on this thought for a while,,,, but more of a tangent...

By changing the ratio of the LSD can we make it more fuel efficient?

No hijack intended...

JoFotoz
07/20/2013, 06:27 PM
You cant change JUST the LSD...

I have been sitting on this thought for a while,,,, but more of a tangent...

By changing the ratio of the LSD can we make it more fuel efficient?

No hijack intended...

The TOD driving both axles ( and of course in full 4x4) ...
...means front and rear diffs need to be matching gear ratios.

jo

Triathlete
07/20/2013, 06:28 PM
I would think the LSD would have zero affect on gas mileage.

Triathlete
07/20/2013, 06:32 PM
Jo, I was assuming he was talking about changing the "tightness" of thr LSD. When rebuilding an LSD you can add plates in the clutches increasing the clutch pack thickness which makes the LSD tighter...less slippage.

JoFotoz
07/20/2013, 06:35 PM
No worries Billy...

I was assuming gearing of Diff given he said ratio.

One of us might be right :p

Cheers

jo

ZeroSix
07/20/2013, 06:40 PM
I am just ignorant... I was probably thinking of gear ratios, or something else. But i did learn something. =)

Triathlete
07/21/2013, 06:47 AM
Gear ratios will change your mpg...however there is a happy medium. If the ratio is to high your mpg will suffer for city driving since your engie will hard to work extra hard to accelerate, if ratio is to small engine will work to hard at higher speeds. The sweet spot is somewhere in between. Unless you have changed tire size (diameter), which has the same affect, Isuzu probably did a pretty good job testing and optimizing this

Leon R
07/21/2013, 07:53 AM
Jo, I was assuming he was talking about changing the "tightness" of thr LSD. When rebuilding an LSD you can add plates in the clutches increasing the clutch pack thickness which makes the LSD tighter...less slippage.

I have asked this before but didn't get an answer, is VX using clutch style of LSD?

Triathlete
07/21/2013, 10:13 AM
As far as I know all LSDs use a clutch system.

Leon R
07/21/2013, 11:03 PM
I know of at least 5 popular types:

Viscous coupler (sealed clutch)
Clutches
Torsen/quaffe (gears)
Electronic (similar to TOD)
Block inset (forget what it is called, but they are popular to convert open diff to LSD)

longiotti
07/22/2013, 01:47 PM
I so want to rebuild the LSD. if I could find clutches I would do it.
lets go back to the origenal question. anyone know where to get replacement clutches for the LSD for the facotry diff?

longiotti
07/23/2013, 10:12 AM
I so want to rebuild the LSD. if I could find clutches I would do it.
lets go back to the origenal question. anyone know where to get replacement clutches for the LSD for the facotry diff?

found this on another thread
http://www.isuzupartscenter.com/part...?siteid=216496
I found the clutch discs for the rear end that I have been wanting to rebuilt looks like around $90 for new friction discs and clutches!