PDA

View Full Version : My Brushguard - From a Trooper!

SilverBullet75
04/09/2013, 11:10 AM
Hi all,

I recently bought a 2001 Trooper Limited, and it came with a nice bonus.
Laying in the trunk was a (used) brush guard.

So, I tried it on the VX... it fit! No modifications, no nada!
6 bolts and a helper to help hold it in place.
It actually bends around the front nicely and looks mean!

I took it back off and sanded it down and repainted it with Rustoleum Texture Black paint. Looks brand new.

BTW... it's heavy up front! But, that's not a negative really... it gives the VX a really nice "float" to the ride now.

I never really wanted a brush guard, but the price of this one was worth it! LOL
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/image34.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/23574)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/image35.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/23575)
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/image36.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/23576)

EVO
04/09/2013, 11:33 AM
Man that brush guard looks really aggressive on the VX!! Great lines!

bartmanS4
04/09/2013, 11:34 AM
Should be great for knocking zombies out of the way in the upcoming apocalypse! :thumbup:

SilverBullet75
04/09/2013, 11:56 AM
I wish I knew what brand it was so I could post it
Sorry!
No labels on it either.

magikmike
04/09/2013, 04:06 PM
did u have another bar on it before? or did you use the mounts that were on the trooper???

vt_maverick
04/09/2013, 05:08 PM
Just be careful not to run into anything... I count 7 mods on the front of your VX including the brush guard, and if you run into anything (or vice versa) you can probably kiss 4-5 of those goodbye.

Does look nice though.

SilverBullet75
04/09/2013, 05:26 PM
did u have another bar on it before? or did you use the mounts that were on the trooper???
100% Trooper!

Just be careful not to run into anything... I count 7 mods on the front of your VX including the brush guard, and if you run into anything (or vice versa) you can probably kiss 4-5 of those goodbye.

Does look nice though.

Yep, very well noted and considered. Thanks! :)
Right now I'm in "beta" mode with the brush guard. I like it, but I also like the naked look too. I may consider selling it, or I'll put it back on the Trooper. :)

VXorado
04/09/2013, 05:59 PM
Right now I'm in "beta" mode with the brush guard. I like it, but I also like the naked look too. I may consider selling it, or I'll put it back on the Trooper. :)

I like your VX better without it. The brush guard looks a little wide for the VX body... like it's made for a Trooper or something. :p

Your rig still looks great though. :cool:

magikmike
04/09/2013, 06:14 PM
be safe to assume then the brackets for the 2001 trooper will match up the the vehicroSS??? why such the big want for the "tone" brackets when you can just order them???

SilverBullet75
04/09/2013, 06:17 PM
Honestly, I have no response for that... except that the issue was with the bull bar, rather than the brush guard.

Any ideas guys?
He has a great point.

magikmike
04/09/2013, 07:01 PM
i'm assuming the mount plates are on the tow hook mounts??? if thats the case, i found this pick of a guy that sold this bar with brackets off a 2nd gen trooper...
http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn37/abillerb/Trooper%20Stuff/CIMG0978.jpg
just my .02... I like the look of the grill guard, but don't know if its worth it

SilverBullet75
04/09/2013, 09:40 PM
Yes, the brackets are mounted to the tow hook mounts on the frame.
But, the brackets in your pic are totally different from mine.
I'll see if I can take a pic in the morning of the mounts.

tom4bren
04/10/2013, 05:43 AM
be safe to assume then the brackets for the 2001 trooper will match up the the vehicroSS??? why such the big want for the "tone" brackets when you can just order them???

It's the 'tried & true' mentality. Most people want bolt on stuff that they know will fit. If you can find a cheaper alternative & do the Beta Testing for everybody, I'm sure it would be an easy sell to convince them to go that route.

That's why the re-designed hidden hitch is taking so long. It MUST be: bolt on with no welding, little/no cutting, require no special tools for installation, complete kit with no missing parts to search for, fit like a glove, outta the box & rolling down the road in less than a day.

The more I work with Welder Guy on these things, the more I respect what Tone brought to the forum. All those things are easy enough to say but a PITA to accomplish. On the other hand, the enginerd in me gets a lot of satisfaction out of the accomplishment (yah, I need to get a life:)).

I for one would love for somebody to find an alternative to the push bar brackets. This isn't a business for me, in fact I lose money on all the stuff I've been making available to Y'all (not even counting the time invested). One member found an alternative to the Westin Bull Bar that is cheaper AND the mounting bracket that comes with it works with only minor modification.

Not to worry though, I'll always have the templates available to any that want them.

I've got a brush guard that supposedly came off a Ford Ranger that looks like it would bolt up to the VehiCross fairly easily. I just haven't decided yet if I really want it on there. It would probably mount to the frame in the same location as mentioned earlier in this thread & my higher priority is the tow bar mounting that uses the same mounting location. I'm sure I could get both on there at the same time but I just haven't tried yet. Besides, I may just cut down the brush guard & put it on Boy's Samurai anyway.

WormGod
04/10/2013, 07:10 AM
+1 on collisions.

I had the old Tone fabbed brushguard (looked exactly like yours!). Idiots at a shop I dropped it off at ran it into a stack of tooboxes, pushing them "through" (yes, THROUGH) a cinder block wall. The damage, amazingly, would have been a lot less extensive, had the guard not been on it. It folded down over the hood and fenders, all needing to completely replaced. I imagine damage would have been limited to at least just the front cladding had it not been installed.

Looks meaty though. Sadly, purely cosmetic.

SilverBullet75
04/10/2013, 10:34 AM
Yep, the more I think about it, the more I'm not liking the idea.

It was cool for a bit, but I really like the naked look of the front.
Knock on wood, I've never hit or been hit... but if it happens, I agree... it could be disastrous.

I think I'll put it on the Trooper. :yesgray:
Or... if anyone wants it, PM me.
Especially you west coasters going to Moab. Vegas is on the way! LOL

SilverBullet75
04/10/2013, 10:38 AM
It's the 'tried & true' mentality. Most people want bolt on stuff that they know will fit. If you can find a cheaper alternative & do the Beta Testing for everybody, I'm sure it would be an easy sell to convince them to go that route.

BTW, Tom, I hope you didn't take any offense to the subject...
I literally don't know what is better, available, or more cost effective.

I've got nothin but props for you and your endeavors to further the VX "industry". :)

JoFotoz
04/10/2013, 10:57 AM
I have always liked the Brush Guard look on the VX...

...hence I made/modified the original ML 320 one for my ride..
..... ( that Tone copied!)

I think if you section yours in the middle and remove about 4-6 inches...
.....then weld it back together it will look much better..and not too wide.

The "extra" damage issue can be a concern for sure...with the "wings" liable to
fold back and impact front fenders...however with judicial use of bracing
from mid/top center through to radiator support this problem is eased( not cured!)

I stopped using mine for off roading..However in my home town, which is Bike
& skateboard central....it served its purpose numerous times "brushing"off wayward
kids on boards & bikes :thumbup:

Jo

tom4bren
04/10/2013, 11:33 AM
BTW, Tom, I hope you didn't take any offense to the subject...
I literally don't know what is better, available, or more cost effective.

I've got nothin but props for you and your endeavors to further the VX "industry". :)

Not at all. Sorry if I sounded that way.

Trust me, I'm not about salesmanship. If there's anything available elsewhere, I don't get Welder Guy involved. After all, we quit modifying diff brackets since there's another source & we even handed off the seat sliders to another member.