PDA

View Full Version : Any Ideas?

UWVX89
04/17/2013, 06:05 PM
I have developed a strong vibration which begins very softly at 40mph and gets progressively stronger the faster I go. Shakes the whole car and feels as if it may be central to rear located.

I had both front axles inner and outer replaced to see if that helped at all and they both needed done anyway. Both front bearings are brand new. Tires are oversized at 33" but have been balanced and don't seem to be the issue. I'm really struggling to even guess what it may be since I haven done any rough driving on it in the past few months. It started kind of out of no where.

Help Please!!

UWVX89
04/17/2013, 06:10 PM
To add it does not move or vibrate the steering wheel at all, all from under.

etlsport
04/17/2013, 06:40 PM
even if your tires have been balanced i would double check. Try rotating the tires and see if that moves the vibration to the steering wheel. Wheel weights fall off all the time.

Triathlete
04/17/2013, 09:18 PM
Drive shaft unbalanced/bent?

Y33TREKker
04/17/2013, 09:25 PM
Busted U-joint?

89Vette
04/17/2013, 09:42 PM
Yeah...I'd be looking at the rear driveshaft u-joints.

UWVX89
04/18/2013, 09:01 AM
Yeah I was wondering if it was U-Joints or the driveshaft as well. Anyone else experienced these problems before? Rear bearings maybe? I'm bad with the drivetrain parts, I prefer to work under the hood.

MSHardeman
04/18/2013, 09:48 AM
Just to eliminate one aspect of the drive shaft; just crawl under the VX and grab the drive shaft and see if you can twist it. If there is some play in it then look at the front and rear u-joints to see if you can see where the play is happening. That will be the down and dirty, super easy way to tell if it's one of the u-joints. If there isn't any, or not much, play in the drive shaft then grease the zerk fittings (or have them greased). Doing this has eliminated many members drive line noises (for a while at least). There is a zerk fitting on each of the u-joints and one in the middle of the drive shaft at the slip joint.

UWVX89
04/18/2013, 10:56 AM
Just to eliminate one aspect of the drive shaft; just crawl under the VX and grab the drive shaft and see if you can twist it. If there is some play in it then look at the front and rear u-joints to see if you can see where the play is happening. That will be the down and dirty, super easy way to tell if it's one of the u-joints. If there isn't any, or not much, play in the drive shaft then grease the zerk fittings (or have them greased). Doing this has eliminated many members drive line noises (for a while at least). There is a zerk fitting on each of the u-joints and one in the middle of the drive shaft at the slip joint.

I'll try that as soon as I get out of class! haha (College student)

MSHardeman
04/18/2013, 11:58 AM
What are you doing checking .info posts in the middle of class?

PAY ATTENTION!!:biggringr

Must be a boring class.

Y33TREKker
04/18/2013, 12:17 PM
Yeah I was wondering if it was U-Joints or the driveshaft as well. Anyone else experienced these problems before?
I once something on a Toyota Tacoma causing some noise that sounded kind of serious to me. I was something of a 4x4 novice at the time (not that I'm an expert now by any means), but it sounded bad enough to me that I actually took it to a Toyota dealership to have it diagnosed. It turned out to be something of a forehead slapper when they told me all they'd needed to do was lube the u-joints and the slip-joint/sleeve yoke on the driveshaft, but it's something I've kept in mind ever since.

So yeah, along with the u-joints on the ends, be sure to also lube the sleeve yoke on the driveshaft.

UWVX89
04/18/2013, 06:05 PM
I once something on a Toyota Tacoma causing some noise that sounded kind of serious to me. I was something of a 4x4 novice at the time (not that I'm an expert now by any means), but it sounded bad enough to me that I actually took it to a Toyota dealership to have it diagnosed. It turned out to be something of a forehead slapper when they told me all they'd needed to do was lube the u-joints and the slip-joint/sleeve yoke on the driveshaft, but it's something I've kept in mind ever since.

So yeah, along with the u-joints on the ends, be sure to also lube the sleeve yoke on the driveshaft.

I shall take a look! I need to familiarize myself with the underside of the vehicle, all these scary moving parts haha

PK
04/18/2013, 06:09 PM
I shall take a look! I need to familiarize myself with the underside of the vehicle, all these scary moving parts haha

You don't have to get under there with the vehicle moving - you can check when it is stopped. :p:winkgray::winko:

PK

UWVX89
04/18/2013, 07:22 PM
So I go under there and check all the shafts andU-Joints, no play and all seems well in that aspect. Any other Ideas?

Y33TREKker
04/18/2013, 09:00 PM
Did you go ahead and lube all the grease fittings?

LittleBeast
04/18/2013, 09:02 PM
If it is lifted it is probably just the change in pinion angle finally taking its toll on your u-joints and pinion seal. If you have 33" tires you probably have a lift. If you have a lift your pinion angle is NOT correct. If your pinion angle does not match the angle at the transfer case you will eventually smoke your U-joints and need to rebuild your driveshaft. Buying adjustable lower links will allow you to lengthen your lower links and put the pinion back into the correct angle after lift.

UWVX89
04/19/2013, 09:27 AM
If it is lifted it is probably just the change in pinion angle finally taking its toll on your u-joints and pinion seal. If you have 33" tires you probably have a lift. If you have a lift your pinion angle is NOT correct. If your pinion angle does not match the angle at the transfer case you will eventually smoke your U-joints and need to rebuild your driveshaft. Buying adjustable lower links will allow you to lengthen your lower links and put the pinion back into the correct angle after lift.

Never really thought about that. I think I should have it all looked over by someone who knows more than I do on this matter.

UWVX89
04/26/2013, 09:10 AM
After getting it looked over, I have found out that my front driveshaft has started to fall apart. Spacers fell out, seal looking like it's starting to go bad and the one bolt is missing from the shaft. Needless to say it has seen better days. If anyone has any info on finding This front Drive shaft and all hardware if greatly appreciate it!

evillecutter
04/26/2013, 09:22 AM
on a different thread we were discussing replacing that green cup on the prop shaft with a u joint like the rear one - might be something to think about

tom4bren
04/26/2013, 09:32 AM
After getting it looked over, I have found out that my front driveshaft has started to fall apart. Spacers fell out, seal looking like it's starting to go bad and the one bolt is missing from the shaft. Needless to say it has seen better days. If anyone has any info on finding This front Drive shaft and all hardware if greatly appreciate it!

Try the guy mentioned in this post:

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showpost.php?p=274291&postcount=57

We've been stripping this beastie down pretty good over the past few months but as far as I know, the driveline is still complete.

UWVX89
04/26/2013, 12:19 PM
Looking to go with a new part if possible to eliminate any issues and to insure all necessary hardware is in good shape as well.

tom4bren
04/26/2013, 12:21 PM
In that case, you're best option is to call Merlin.

UWVX89
04/26/2013, 12:53 PM
In that case, you're best option is to call Merlin.

Let's not exhaust all options, put merlin on the back burner for a minute and see what the family comes up with!

tom4bren
04/26/2013, 01:17 PM
LittleBeast was checking into modifying his driveshaft for some reason. May want to send him a PM to see what his plans were.