PDA

View Full Version : My turn for LineX

Marlin
04/22/2013, 09:17 AM
Just stopped by the new dealer a few miles from my house. We talked about doing the entire truck. If I remove all the plastic and wire wheel the herculiner off, he will do all of the plastic in black (mirrors, roof rails, luggage rack, cladding etc...) and the rest of the truck in a khaki or coyote brown for $2800. I asked how much for the premium lineX, he said that was! It included the kevlar upgrade as well as the UV protected stuff! Needless to say, the VX is going into the shop soon to get a makeover as well, after seeing SSsigs cladding, I was sold.
He had some demo stuff out for me to play with, had a pop can with the regular lineX on it, you could bend it, but not much. Then he had the premium can. Ridiculous, I stood on it, it does not bend. He actually had removed the aluminum after it set to show how strong it is once it cures. He said, even if your truck rusts out under the lineX, once it sets, it holds that shape forever. Stuff is awesome! I told him I wanted it to be like the truck on Storm Chasers, he pulled out the calendar...lol. Yep, that one.
I am stoked, no more washing, no more waxing, no more care about chips and rust. He said it would add between 50-100lbs in weight to the truck, nothing much that matters. Time to clear out the garage and get to work on removing the cladding:)

vt_maverick
04/22/2013, 11:04 AM
This guy is in Newport News I assume? I wonder how much he would charge for just the cladding. Did you happen to ask him?

Marlin
04/22/2013, 11:29 AM
Yes, he is on 17, just south of Ft Useless Blvd. I will ask him when I take the truck in.

bartmanS4
04/22/2013, 12:33 PM
Marlin, you may want to trim the edges of the cladding a little first so that clearance won't be an issue. My does hang up a little on the rear door and the passenger door. On the rear door it's at the lower left corner where the tail light and cladding meet. The passenger door is where it meets the fender cladding. I would take a good look at every location the cladding moves against another cladding piece and make sure you have adequate clearance prior to removal and spraying.

Marlin
04/22/2013, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the tip, I will trim them back a 1/4" or so all the way around. Hadn't thought of that.

vt_maverick
04/22/2013, 01:21 PM
How hard is it to remove the edges after the application? If it's not too hard it might be better to wait and fix only the problems you have.

Marlin
04/22/2013, 01:33 PM
They are encapsulated, so I wouldn't want to cut any material. The premium coat is a little over an 1/8" thick.

RodL
04/22/2013, 01:50 PM
Can't wait to see some photos or for you to do a US tour, so we can all see it in person.

Rod

Marlin
04/22/2013, 06:30 PM
Well, next fall, I am trying to get orders to Washington again, that would mean ANOTHER cross country trek and a visit to Moab! If so, I will stop along the way as needed to visit:) We would roll through Dayton, OH, as well as KC, MO, and then up to Moab from there and then up through oregon/washington.

vt_maverick
04/23/2013, 11:50 AM
So Chris I was thinking about this thing you said about the premium coat:

Then he had the premium can. Ridiculous, I stood on it, it does not bend. He actually had removed the aluminum after it set to show how strong it is once it cures. He said, even if your truck rusts out under the lineX, once it sets, it holds that shape forever.
So for your "all over" application it's not a problem, but if you were to do only your cladding with the premium stuff would you be bending body panels rather than cladding when you hit things? :confused:

Marlin
04/23/2013, 01:37 PM
So Chris I was thinking about this thing you said about the premium coat:

So for your "all over" application it's not a problem, but if you were to do only your cladding with the premium stuff would you be bending body panels rather than cladding when you hit things? :confused:

Maybe, I don't really see the issue though, under the door cladding is some tubing anyway, so LineX or no, it would bend the door panel. I think it would take some serious force, like a collision, so either way...as for the rest of the cladding, the front fenders are hollow, the rear fenders the same.
Just don't hit anything:smack:

VXorado
04/23/2013, 03:38 PM
Can't wait to see the pics. :yesy:

Marlin
04/24/2013, 12:16 PM
Don't worry, I will post lots:) I yanked out the rest of the carpet today and all of the under foam and stuff. About 25% complete on the herculiner. Will be much easier to take care of this way.

RodL
04/24/2013, 04:24 PM
Well, next fall, I am trying to get orders to Washington again, that would mean ANOTHER cross country trek and a visit to Moab! If so, I will stop along the way as needed to visit:) We would roll through Dayton, OH, as well as KC, MO, and then up to Moab from there and then up through oregon/washington.

I'm 5 to 7 hours from KC during the summer months until early November. If you are going through give me pm and maybe I can see it in person.

Rod

Marlin
04/24/2013, 05:29 PM
I'm 5 to 7 hours from KC during the summer months until early November. If you are going through give me pm and maybe I can see it in person.

Rod

Kansas side or Missouri side? Tuttle Creek is fun and I would like to hit up KS Rocks.

RodL
04/25/2013, 02:08 AM
Kansas side or Missouri side? Tuttle Creek is fun and I would like to hit up KS Rocks.

A bit North and East of KC. Nearly straight North of Columbia, Mo. About 5 to 6 hours north of ST. Louis.

Rod

Marlin
04/26/2013, 04:44 PM
I just finished the interior, I yanked all the carpet and foam out. That stuff was wet:( No rust underneath, so I caught it in time. 3 cans of herculiner, about 1/8" of rubber. The wife and I spent the last few days doing layer after layer. I disconnected the TOD. No warning light, no lights at all. I was afraid there would be a warning light on forever.
I also wire loomed all of the OEM cabling so it looks nice. I also went ahead and pounded that weird plate that hangs down on the back of the seats. No more losing stuff under the seat and not being able to reach it. I tried to chisel the welds off and remove the plate, but those things are on there good. 3lb sledge bent them flush with the seat frame just fine, no sharp edges, looks normal.

tomdietrying
04/27/2013, 05:39 AM
I I disconnected the TOD. No warning light, no lights at all. I was afraid there would be a warning light on forever.

I wouldn't mind disconnecting my TOD light too. Where is it and is it difficult to get to?

Peace.
Tom

Marlin
04/27/2013, 06:01 AM
The tod computer is under the passenger seat. I disconnected all of the harnesses.

vt_maverick
04/27/2013, 08:08 AM
Your wife is a champ Chris!

Marlin
04/27/2013, 10:10 AM
Removed 75% of plastic today, only broke one clip. Jo gave me some tips, he was spot on. A filet knife for cutting the tape works great, flexible and razor sharp. Been in my closet brand new for 4 or 5 years...finally found a use for it.

I found some rust on the door crash bars, similar to the front bumper issues. I wire wheeled it down and doused it in POR15. Once lineXed, never worry again. But it is something to think about for our midwest/new england trucks. Mine was not a structural issue yet, but one day it would have been.

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_20130427_123322_252.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_20130427_123314_771.jpg

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/IMG_20130427_123301_476.jpg

Marlin
04/28/2013, 09:02 AM
No bueno, got the rear cladding pieces off today. Decent amount of cancer at the forward portion of the rear fenders. Same spot on both sides, it is where the body seams are welded together on the inside, just aft of the where the lower seat belt mounts are. Manged to stick a screwdriver through about a 3x4" area. I had filled the driver's side with 7 cans of expanding foam yesterday, which had made its way down to the hole. That is a good thing, the LineX will cover all that without a problem, then no more worries about rust.
The rear bumper was in poor shape as well. I know where my rattle was coming from. A large nut for something had broken loose with a sizeable piece of the bolt. Not sure what it goes to, but it was rattling around back there.
I am going to pull of the rear bumper, soda blast it down and have them linex that as well. It may go away as part of a rear bumper build anyhow, and the hitch works better as a bumper.
Getting closer to spray time, just waiting on tax return that I filed in January:(

bartmanS4
04/28/2013, 08:55 PM
Getting closer to spray time, just waiting on tax return that I filed in January:(

I owed this year and filed on the 15th. They already cashed my check, funny how that works eh?

JoFotoz
04/28/2013, 09:21 PM
Aint that the truth...

I owed this year and filed on the 15th. They already cashed my check, funny how that works eh?

.... me too.

:_brickwal

Jo

Marlin
05/02/2013, 02:38 PM
Grrrr, IRS told me that the drop dead date for my return release was Tuesday. I called yesterday, after 40 minutes on hold, they told me 3-4 more weeks. What kind of BS is this. She could see where the dates were due, but they came and went. Is there no accountability in that place? Flat tax, no more IRS, or even better, no income taxes and just have a 10% federal sales tax, fire all of the IRS, save billions in operating costs, and then illegal immigrants pay same taxes as everyone else. Solves all kinds of problems.

RodL
05/03/2013, 01:55 AM
Grrrr, IRS told me that the drop dead date for my return release was Tuesday. I called yesterday, after 40 minutes on hold, they told me 3-4 more weeks. What kind of BS is this. She could see where the dates were due, but they came and went. Is there no accountability in that place? Flat tax, no more IRS, or even better, no income taxes and just have a 10% federal sales tax, fire all of the IRS, save billions in operating costs, and then illegal immigrants pay same taxes as everyone else. Solves all kinds of problems.

you got my vote, when are you running for office??????

Marlin
05/03/2013, 02:43 AM
Although I would run on an entirely honest platform, no secrets or apologies or back pedaling, I have a feeling they would find this site and go through all the posts...lol. By then, I will be a minority, the folks on government assistance will far outnumber those that are not, and I will have no chance. (By the way, there was an article the other day on CNN, Families that make less than the median income have an average of close to 4 children. Families that make an income above the median income average have less than two children.)

bartmanS4
05/03/2013, 10:17 AM
Ever seen the movie Idiocracy?
We are effectively (selectively) breeding ourselves dumber whilst believing ourselves smarter. LOL
I certainly don't mean to imply that income and intelligence are interrelated. I just find it funny that we fix our crooked teeth, get breast implants, hair plugs, liposuction, fake bake, body wax, etc so that we are more attractive to the other sex. We are then selectively breeding flat chested, bald headed hairy bodied, ghostly white fatties with bad teeth. whom of course are completely reliant on the government for their survival. WooHoo! :bgwb:

Marlin
05/04/2013, 09:27 AM
I decided to leave the roof rails tan. That will ensure a good seal on the roof. Basket and cross bars will be black. undecided on spoiler.

Scott Larson
05/04/2013, 09:47 AM
I'm just waitin' on the pictures Marlin so stop yer damn teasin'...:slap:

Marlin
05/04/2013, 11:52 AM
Imagine how I feel, VX is sitting in the driveway half naked. Although, if I was a good body work guy, Going sans cladding would look sweet. Makes the truck look much taller, like some kind of race truck, and you can see how big the tires are. They stick out from the body 3-4", but with the cladding on there, I get doubtful looks when I tell them they are 34s.

Scott Larson
05/04/2013, 10:13 PM
Some girls look great without their nickers, others...not so much! Enjoy hers while their down, at least you've got pictures! :rotate:

Marlin
05/05/2013, 02:26 PM
I just contacted Jason about some emblems,
I want an 8" Isuzu "arrow" on my hood,
"VX" on each A-pillar
"VX" on rear door
"ISUZU" for each side cladding

If I tape/glue these on prior to spraying, they will result in an upraised pattern in the LineX. That way, I can take tan paint and do the face of the letters on the black cladding and vice versa or whatever color I choose. I think the red will go back on the hood:) Red on tan will POP!!

JoFotoz
05/05/2013, 05:31 PM
Interesting idea.....:cool:

"VX" on each A-pillar
"VX" on rear door

If I tape/glue these on prior to spraying, they will result in an upraised pattern in the LineX. That way, I can take tan paint and do the face of the letters on the black cladding and vice versa or whatever color I choose. I think the red will go back on the hood:) Red on tan will POP!!

:clap:

Jo

Marlin
05/05/2013, 05:35 PM
One day Jo, One day...:bgwb:

I am going to go without the A pillar decor, maybe a marlin instead?

Marlin
05/06/2013, 01:37 PM
Just set up my appointment for Monday. Have to take the truck by on Wed afternoon for a walk over. Gonna talk about what preps I have left, and give sample for color match. I decided to do the regular LineX on the cladding, I don't think the shiny would look how I want it to. I will do the shiny on the top half for UV protection. I also asked about the expanding foam I did in the rust pockets, he siad that will work just fine, but it would look funny, but since it is under the cladding, it doesn't matter.

vt_maverick
05/07/2013, 06:24 AM
Remember to ask him how much for just the cladding please... :)

tom4bren
05/07/2013, 06:48 AM
I've been keeping an eye on this thread ... not for the VX though.

Wifey's 04 Eclipse has had a Mitsubishi bra on it since we first got it & now it needs to be replaced. Guess what ... the bra is no longer available ... by ANY of the bra manufacturers.:_brickwal

Sure, they all make a bra for the Eclipse but this is the one that goes all the way up the hood. I think Mitsubishi called it the 'Sport Bra' when I got it. Colgan calls it a 'T Bra' & they make them for trucks but not for cars.:_brickwal

I went all brainiac when I read this thread & thought I could just get the Eclipse LineX'd in the shape of the bra. Wifey says no (it would look too Redneck for her Philly tastes).:_brickwal

See a theme going here?:_brickwal:_brickwal:_brickwal

The little Mom & Pop (& now Son) shop that upholstered the seat on the SeaDoo for me can make one though. I just haven't been by to get an estimate.

I'll let you know how that works out just in case this shop becomes a potential source for custom pieces that Y'all need in the future.:)

VXorado
05/07/2013, 07:28 AM
Just set up my appointment for Monday.

:_beer:

I bet you're excited.

Marlin
05/07/2013, 03:50 PM
I am, a lot of work to do, Jason is sending me some printed emblems, truck goes in tomorrow for walkthrough on what I want done and how to prep it.
I aksed about the plastic, he said he will have a better idea once he does it. Will try to keep the cost down if you bring the pieces in off the truck.
Super stoked!!

tom4bren
05/08/2013, 05:31 AM
I can't believe that you won't be driving a Proton anymore. You gonna miss it?

Marlin
05/08/2013, 10:09 AM
Funny thing, when I was originally VX shopping, Ironman white was at the bottom of my want list, followed by proton.
After having a proton, I can't imagine having another color.
Having said that, spending this much $$$, I can't imagine keeping it an OEM color, plus the yellow is tough to make look good with the LineX, it ends up with a washed out look.
Plus, for some reason I really like the khaki on black look of the FJ cruiser. Khaki on Plum would be nice too, but I am trying to stick to colors that I can easily touch up if need be later on. The tan I am using is the same as the rubbermaid bedliner tan, makes it easy to modify rims, or any other accessories if I so choose.
But yes, it will be weird to go out the the driveway and not see the yellow monster:(

Marlin
05/08/2013, 01:26 PM
Just got back from the walkthrough. They are stoked. Talked about preps and whatnot. I asked how much for the Kevlar upgrade, he said if I was willing to let them slap a LineX symbol above the VX symbol on the rear door and use the photos for local advertising (I have to sign the release) he would do it for no extra charge!!
Getting close now, getting hard to sleep at night, a lot more work to do.

bartmanS4
05/08/2013, 03:11 PM
I think you should hold off a while on color painting the embossed emblems you are adding to the sides. I'm picturing a dust or mud covered VX with the embossed lettering sticking out. That would look way cool! Course I'm into subtlety. ;-)

Marlin
05/08/2013, 03:51 PM
I understand, but no matter what, the Zu arrow on the hood is gonna be red, otherwise, the guys at the campground won't know whose truck it is!
I also need to order a new vanity plate. 1 of 479 won't work anymore. Gotta think of something clever.

bartmanS4
05/08/2013, 04:11 PM
I understand, but no matter what, the Zu arrow on the hood is gonna be red, otherwise, the guys at the campground won't know whose truck it is!

Lol, I actually changed my message to specify the side emblems because of the hood part.

Marlin
05/08/2013, 04:29 PM
Lol, I actually changed my message to specify the side emblems because of the hood part.

I can make the mud pic happen with the side lettering. Makes me think of a pic my wife took:
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa234/nfntruth/July%202010%20Uwharrie/IMGP1409.jpg

Marlin
05/09/2013, 02:46 PM
Finished most of the prep. Got the spare tire mount and rear cladding off. Only thing left is the spoiler, tail lights and maybe rear bumper. That half moon is a PITA to get off, seems like they used half a roll of double sided tape on that thing.

jasonm621
05/09/2013, 08:05 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/thumbs/DSC02630.JPG (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/23687):yeso:

jasonm621
05/09/2013, 08:07 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/DSC02630.JPG Here are the 3D Printed emblems! Sorry for the double post. I obviously dont know exactly how to add a photo on a thread. quickly learning though...

Marlin
05/10/2013, 06:58 AM
"Peanut Butter Jelly Time, Peanut Butter Jelly Time"
:dan_ban::dan_ban:

Marlin
05/10/2013, 12:48 PM
Boooo! Dealer contacted me today, wants to move it to Tuesday. Its supposed to rain all day sat/sun, and the truck has to be completely dry when they spray it due to the high temp, it will cause the LineX to bubble if it contacts water. So, postponed for another day:(

Marlin
05/11/2013, 02:14 PM
Spent two hours today wire wheeling the herculiner off. Still have to finish the passenger fender.
Good news, got my emblems from Jason!!! They are awesome! Makes me want a printer, but I have enough money sucking hobbies/projects.
Thanks Jason, they came out great. I have some friends that may want some mitsubishi emblems at some point, I will let you know.

I also got the headlights out and ready for shipping to Florida to get refinished! Gonna be a whole new truck!

vt_maverick
05/11/2013, 02:32 PM
I also got the headlights out and ready for shipping to Florida to get refinished!

Good Lord man, what in the world are you doing that for? I had a local detailing guy clean my passenger headlight after my driver's headlight was replaced and you couldn't tell the difference when he was done. I had some of that 3M Clear Bra material put on afterwards and other than a few scratches that I made wiping bugs with a netted sponge (doh! :mad: ) they're still perfect 15K miles later.

Marlin
05/11/2013, 02:54 PM
He is going to do the inside as well.

Marlin
05/12/2013, 06:12 PM
Alright, almost 100% ready. Got all the labels mounted that Jason sent me. Just have to wire wheel and sand the one fender, then it is done. 1 more day.

tysamigo
05/13/2013, 02:29 PM
I have a few Q's...Next week I'm making an appointment for spraying Linex to the cladding pieces (black/glossy/uv)...

Marlin, you may want to trim the edges of the cladding a little first so that clearance won't be an issue.

Is this more common than not? I was just going to take the pieces to them and have them do their thing. I brought it to their attention but they said that the technician will know if there is enough clearance. But do you think I need to actually shave the cladding???

Also... I LOVED THIS IDEA!!!

"VX" on each A-pillar
"VX" on rear door

I'm thinking of maybe having a 3d Vehicross emblem that just says "VehiCross" (like on the pillar) on each door cladding and maybe a small Isuzu Arrow on the moon piece...

HMMMMMM... love this idea!!

Marlin
05/13/2013, 03:42 PM
I didn't bother trimming, they said they can thin out the spray at the edges, I will cross that road when the time comes, and I don't plan on worrying too muc about the body clips, so I have some wiggle room.
As for the door cladding, not a whole lot of area to fit an emblem, nothing flat enough. I ended up scrapping that idea and went with the factory 3.5l spot and placed old school ISUZU emblems there.

Marlin
05/13/2013, 03:44 PM
On a side note, Jo talked to me about his LineX job a while ago, but asked me to keep it a secret pending the Moab unveil. Funny thing, I thought I was super clever coming up with the decal idea and using Jason, turns out, Jo had already thought of that idea, completely independent of one another...damned clever VX owners:smack:

Marlin
05/13/2013, 06:09 PM
Big day tomorrow!!! Never gonna wash that truck again, maybe a hose now and again, no more waxing, no more checking for rock trips or worrying about body rust!

tysamigo
05/14/2013, 09:22 AM
Big day tomorrow!!! Never gonna wash that truck again, maybe a hose now and again, no more waxing, no more checking for rock trips or worrying about body rust!

AWESOMENESS!!!! I'm right behind you!

PICS PICS PICS PLS :)

longiotti
07/04/2013, 10:02 AM
where are the pics?

Marlin
07/04/2013, 10:54 AM
Started a new thread:)
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=24304