PDA

View Full Version : Front Headlights and Fender Noises??

VX4EJR
11/03/2003, 07:14 AM
I couldn't find any searchable info on this so I thought I'd start a new thread......

While washing my VX the other day and putting slight pressure to the front passenger side metal fender...the pointy part touching the side of the headlight where it meets the cladding....it creaked pretty darn loud which concerned me. Then I looked closer at the headlight, tapped it a little and immediately noticed the inner grey plastic shield piece pretty much moving around inside the lens. The driver's side headlight didn't do that and was more secure which was strange however I did notice the silver chrome projector piece in both headlights was positioned differently between the two! One was further back from the clear lens than the other.

To my knowledge my VX had never been bumped there or repaired or anything at all, I bought it new about a year ago.
I would think the headlight assembly is glued and sealed together.....not sure if what I'm seeing is just the design, poor quality or I got a busted light or something else??

Just curious if anyone else noticed this or the creaking noise when putting pressure on that metal fender part?

(I know, not a real big deal but I just keep noticing these poor and cheap quality issues on the VX.....I need to be sure if others see it too before I take this further with Isuzu)

Feel free to chime in!

WyrreJ
11/03/2003, 07:45 AM
There is definitely something wrong with that assembly. I have 4 assemblies total, 2 on the car and two spares ready for modification with HIDs and none of them are as you describe.

At the very least, you should be concerned that the messed up assembly is mis-aimed and may be shining into the eyes of oncoming drivers.

If you can park nose-up to a wall within about five feet or so, you can easily tell if your lights are aimed reasonably well. Shine the low-beams on the wall and you should see a well-defined cut-off pattern that looks like a perfectly horizontal line except for the right hand edge which should flare upwards at about a 30 degree angle.

Spike
11/03/2003, 08:08 AM
Elliot,
Didn't you tell me that Murphy's got new headlights for you at one point? :confused:

Or was that just the wheel fiasco?

When you and I do finally meet up after you get the headlight fixed, please make sure your VX also has all its shots .. I don't want mine catching anything...

;Db;

VX4EJR
11/03/2003, 08:44 AM
Hey Spike.....the headlights were not included in the laundry list of defects I brought to Murphy Isuzu. I'm pretty sure I'm out of warranty on them though so I might just check that they are shining correctly as WyrreJ mentioned, otherwise will have to live with it...as I am doing with the other things (except for the wheels that were replaced by Murphy).

I know, just my luck...my VX has more little defects and irritations than any auto I've ever owned or heard of. I think it's because it was a leftover and sat around somewhere subjected to high temperature changes or harsh movements when shipped.....or just poor quality in materials......who knows.

Other things I'm "living with" included the passenger side airbag cover corner peeling away from the dash, a crack that formed on the driver's side door panel near the lock knob, an ugly dimple in the rear leather seats, roof moldings uneven and warped, chrome exhaust tip and pipe rusted, driver side door lock knob double popping when using automatic door locks or keyless entry button, rear defogger lines on rear glass faded and not working, blah blah blah blah. My VX only has 16K miles right now too.

The problem was, for Isuzu to fix these would mean more extensive work than necessary which I didn't think was worth it or might as well cause other problems, hence why I'm living with it....unfortunately.

I'll have to see about getting a vaccine but I think it's not contagious.

Spike
11/03/2003, 08:55 AM
Yeeecch!

Reminds me of our Pug... he is greatest, but has this recurring pancreas infection... poor guy. Stuff like that makes you care even more...

Thats IS a lot of little things.. sounds like the candy bar that sat in the sun a little too long... If you are the first owner, why would it all be out of warranty?

First thing Murphy did for me (even before the rod tap even happened) was to order replacement headlights because the rubber seal peeled off.
(I had them installed at the same time as the block)

VX4EJR
11/03/2003, 09:16 AM
Well, when I had the chrome wheels replaced...they told me there was a 12K miles/1 year warranty on them and things of that defective nature. When I pointed out all of the other items, they said they would be covered under that particular part of the warranty but to fix or replacement these things at the time would mean pretty much taking apart the VX in different areas which I was not seeing as necessary. Now I'm beyond that warranty and wasn't sure if the headlights fell into that.

I just might go back to Murphy for the headlights and see what they say. I already see the rubber gasket things coming lose in addition to the crappy way they were assembled and installed.

Maybe it's me, who knows, but when you buy a brand new car....you should just expect it to be built right, not necessarily perfect but right. And of course I really didn't notice these things till weeks after the purchase...all the excitement clouded my eyesight.
I still the love thing, believe me, but it's hard to be totally content with it or Isuzu's stance on quality that they advertise even on their website which I'm throwing back in their face through the warranty hotline as we speak.

Spike
11/03/2003, 09:40 AM
My point is though.. you are first owner.. you should have the full 10yr/120k drivetrain, 3yr/36k bumper to bumper, correct?

I cannot believe that they would say that you only have 1yr/12k on something like the factory defective wheels, when others have had theirs replaced much further along in ownership...

Oh wait.. what was your in service date?

Although being that it is a 2001 ... I still think that should fit in under 3yr/36k... No?

Spike
11/03/2003, 09:45 AM
Dude.. this is really bugging me and it isn't even my car!:mad:
... Lets meet up at lunchtime sometime and compare notes ...

(actually it's not bugging me... I just think it would be amusing to have 2 VXs in a busy parking lot at lunchtime ...)

;Db;

AlaskaVX
11/03/2003, 12:18 PM
This post is kinda driving me crazy! When you know your not going to be doing much for a weekend schedule an appointment with Isuzu and give them your enormous list of things to fix. If they say they won't do it call the 1-800 number in the thread "+100 points to Isuzu". Bitch all you can about how you paid this much money for a new car so it would have a warranty and now they don't want to honor it.

Maybe it's me, who knows, but when you buy a brand new car....you should just expect it to be built right, not necessarily perfect but right.
Tell them this and everything should be fixed!

The problem was, for Isuzu to fix these would mean more extensive work than necessary which I didn't think was worth it or might as well cause other problems, hence why I'm living with it....unfortunately.
You don't think its "worth it" ITS FREE!
If it causes other problems take it back and tell them to make it work for you! Don't be afraid to take it in, hell I think I've taken mine in about 8 times now just for stupid stuff that I can do but I'm too lazy to do it. "Bumper to Bumper" warranty means just that in my eyes!

Enough of my rambling, take it to Isuzu before you have to "live with it" forever. They will make things right if you bitch enough.

nyc #1 ironman
11/03/2003, 12:49 PM
HOW FUNNY, I ALSO GET THAT CREEKING NOISE

VX4EJR
11/03/2003, 12:55 PM
You're absolutely right AlaskaVX....sorry to be driving ya nuts though.......HOWEVER.....hear me out a sec........

I have some issues with the Isuzu dealership near me (which is the only one in a decent traveling radius) or any other service dealership on this planet for that matter. Based on past experience, they go to fix something like these things and end of doing more friggin damage than what I started with.

Just one true story example: I had the rear glass replaced on my VX under warranty at this dealer due to the defogger lines faded and not working. Not only did the dumbass service guy not realize I have keyless entry (as all VX's do!) but then go to put the key into the door lock to open it, miss the lock and put a deep long scratch into the driver side door.....AND then the glass guy removes the old glass, puts in a new one and scratched up one side of the rear gate through the paint down to the metal! Now I happen to know someone who is an expert in paint work and fixed these up for free whereas if I brought it up with the dealership, it would be..sure we'll fix it, bring it on in!!! (which they would had to repaint entire panels as this was not a touch-up job nor would I allow someone to get some paint and a brush and fill in these scratches).

Needless to say I wanted to beat the shiznit outa someone. Maybe you see my point? I get all the other things I mentioned previously worked on and service people find a way to screw up.... then I go postal.
SO, I'm back to square one....living with it.....and sure it's a bunch of "what ifs" without actually getting the work done but man, I'm tired of that crap over the years with careless dealer service people wrecking my bought and paid for property...yes I'm very bitter.

OK I'm done now :->

AlaskaVX
11/03/2003, 02:17 PM
I can see your point, but as you said they will fix their mistakes. If you really wanted to make sure they don't mess it up... Tell the dealer you want to be present when they fix all your stuff, they most likeley won't do this, but bring up your old incidences and maybe they can get a supervisor to make sure they don't screw it up?. Sure this may be time consuming but you would have to deal with this stuff sometime anyway, why not get it done for free? :confused: