PDA

View Full Version : Ignition shifter lock stuck

angeno
05/30/2013, 09:18 PM
Well, I've been suffering with a problem that seems to defy easy resolution. I was hoping maybe you folks might have a suggestion. When I put my VX in park and try to remove the ignition key it sticks. I have to ram the shifter hard against the stop to get the key out. Over time, and not surprisingly, this has begun to weaken the shifter handle. So I'm afraid that before too long I am going to end up with a broken shifter handle, or a permanently stuck key...or probably both.

The first question I have is directed at anyone who has faced a similar issue. What are my best options to fix the !#% shift lock mechanism so it doesn't do this? The next question I have regards the shifter handle itself. I brought my VX to my regular mechanic and he said "no, it's too far gone, you really can't fix it". Okay. So what does that leave? Has anyone replaced the shifter with something more sturdy? I don't care so much for originality. My VX already has a 3.5" lift with big beefy mudders etc. I just want it to function. Maybe there is a holistic solution that solves both problems? Wouldn't that be cool!

Any insight/suggestions would be sincerely appreciated.

:bwgy:

SilverBullet75
05/30/2013, 09:23 PM
There is a black cable that routes from the shifter up under the dash to the steering column area (IIRC).
I had the same issue on my previous VX and just pushed and shoved on the cable a bit to relocate it... worked great.

Y33TREKker
05/31/2013, 08:12 AM
There are a few suggestions listed in this thread too.

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=1582&highlight=key+ignition

angeno
05/31/2013, 06:57 PM
So after several deep searches on Google and a couple of chats with Merlin at St Charles Isuzu, I discovered the root of my problem. The plastic inner sleeve thingy that sits under our shift handle broke in half. Because of this, the VX does not go cleanly into park. This makes it hard to take out the key which makes me have to jam the handle into park harder which breaks the inner sleeve worse and on and on she goes. Long story short, I have a brand new inner sleeve ordered and en route. Hopefully, it will be in my hands and in my VX sometime Monday. I'll post a conclusion to this either way just in case my experience can prove helpful to one of you folks at some point down the line...

VXorado
05/31/2013, 11:16 PM
In addition to what you found broken on the shifter, there is a bolt for the trans linkage that can be adjusted to match the shifter position. After I installed the body lift, I had to adjust the linkage bolt to correctly postion the shifter, otherwise I couldn't remove the key without pushing the shifter forward (like you). By not fixing the problem for a few weeks, I developed a leak on the shift shaft seal from putting unwanted stress on the seal when pushing the shifter forward.

I ended up adjusting the bolt correctly by making sure the transmission was in park, then adjusting the bolt to match the shifter in the fully locked park position.

You might as well replace the sleeve first, but keep this in mind if that doesn't solve the problem.

Here's a pic of the linkage.
http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/106_2172.JPG

Y33TREKker
06/01/2013, 10:01 AM
...I ended up adjusting the bolt correctly by making sure the transmission was in park, then adjusting the bolt to match the shifter in the fully locked park position.

You might as well replace the sleeve first, but keep this in mind if that doesn't solve the problem.
Was it simply a matter of removing the cotter pin, loosening the adjusting bolt, making sure the trans lever was in park, tightening the adjusting bolt, then putting the cotter pin back in again?

angeno
06/01/2013, 11:57 AM
Thanks VXorado. I'll take your advice to heart. BTW, I'm originally from Denver. Bought my first VX off the showroom floor at Tynan's Isuzu in Aurora on Alameda and Havana. Seems like just the other day, but that was in 1999. ;)

bartmanS4
06/02/2013, 10:13 AM
Not sure what parts you may need but I've got some leftovers from my console. Let me know if you need any of this stuff.
Scott

http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/trans.JPG

wintermute
06/02/2013, 10:23 AM
I have this problem as well, but mine seems to be the button on the shifter sticking. I used to slam the shifter forward to get the key to release, then I realized if I just gently tapped the button a few times that worked just as well. The little latch that catches when you shift into park seems to get stuck on mine. I think it just needs a little cleaning and lube but I haven't got around to it yet. FWIW. I don't know what it's called exactly, but there is a little mechanism that pulls on that cable that is engaged and disengaged when the shifter is moved in and out of Park that gets hung up sometimes on the 13 y/o grease...

SilverBullet75
06/02/2013, 09:38 PM
Wintermute,
Your problem may be the same that I had a couple yrs ago. I made this video to show the culprit. Hope this helps you.:
(Sorry for the treadjack)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHk2eTnW2lk

VXorado
06/03/2013, 04:25 AM
Was it simply a matter of removing the cotter pin, loosening the adjusting bolt, making sure the trans lever was in park, tightening the adjusting bolt, then putting the cotter pin back in again?

You don't need to remove the cotter pin, just loosen the 12mm bolt and slide the linkage. There's some play between the shifter and the transmission linkage, so it may take several small adjustments to get the position right.

Thanks VXorado. I'll take your advice to heart. BTW, I'm originally from Denver. Bought my first VX off the showroom floor at Tynan's Isuzu in Aurora on Alameda and Havana. Seems like just the other day, but that was in 1999. ;)

No problem, hope the info helps. :yesy: