PDA

View Full Version : how to check axle lubricants level and transfer case oil?

VX_HK
11/04/2003, 04:02 AM
dear all

I read from the manual that the captioned lubricants must be changed occassionally. How can I check the level of the current lubricants ? are there any dip sticks or something similar aids for easy checking ???

I'm not much into mechanic. Thanks.

ScubaSteve
11/04/2003, 05:58 AM
Both differential have a fill bolt and a drain bolt (except the front differential - the bottom-most bolt is the drain). Basically you fill each differential w/ the appropriate amount of oil the manual states (don't have my book handy). Rather than check the level (I'm assuming it hasn't been changed since you owned your VX) you should just be safe and change it. That way you know EXACTLY WHAT AND HOW MUCH is in there. Remember add the ltd slip additive to your rear axle fluid. It comes in a small bottle. You usually have to add the entire bottle to the rear diff, then add the rear diff lubricant. Haven't done it yet - this weekend's adventure.

As for the transfer case, you use tranny fluid. It's kind of a pain in the @$$. If I remember correctly (which I rarely do), to check the fluid, just yank the overflow plug. If fluid comes out, then it's overfilled. If it doesn't overflow, then it's either fine or low. Once again, if you haven't changed this stuff since you owned your VX, it's be prudent to do so.

Everyone should change the oil, tranny fluid, diff fluids, transfer case, and lube all joints when you first buy your car/truck/VX. You should do this even if the previous owner said he/she just did it... better safe than sorry... Hope this helped.

-scoob

-x-
11/04/2003, 08:59 AM
....does changing tha tanny fluid (w/the new machine that "gets out all the old fluid and fills with all new fluid") change the txr case fluid too or not :confused: ...x