PDA

View Full Version : RUST in the ROCKER PANEL?

louweed
06/20/2013, 04:50 PM
anyone experience or see this first hand in the undercarriage of a VX they have come across? I took a look at one the other day that had it... it was like a cancer! it was small enough to where i could just poke my index finger through the clamp of the rocker panel, but you could see it was going to worse as time passed.

:mad:

H3_VX
06/20/2013, 05:54 PM
anyone experience or see this first hand in the undercarriage of a VX they have come across? I took a look at one the other day that had it... it was like a cancer! it was small enough to where i could just poke my index finger through the clamp of the rocker panel, but you could see it was going to worse as time passed.

:mad:

I am working on repairing my rockers. My undercarriage looks good except for that. Is yours the rocker moulding? Do you have pics?

louweed
06/20/2013, 06:23 PM
I am working on repairing my rockers. My undercarriage looks good except for that. Is yours the rocker moulding? Do you have pics?

do you have RUST? the one i looked at def has rust, no mold. pretty knarly but thats the midwest i guess for ya. problem is that the car is a fixer and no reputable body shop is gonna want to touch that VX for liability reasons with that rocker panel in distress like that.

;)

p.s. how R U "repairing" your rocker panels? w/o replacing them all together?

H3_VX
06/20/2013, 06:51 PM
do you have RUST? the one i looked at def has rust, no mold. pretty knarly but thats the midwest i guess for ya. problem is that the car is a fixer and no reputable body shop is gonna want to touch that VX for liability reasons with that rocker panel in distress like that.

;)

p.s. how R U "repairing" your rocker panels? w/o replacing them all together?

I'm replacing parts and having a body shop paint everything with por15. I'm restoring the entire underbody piece by piece, followed by engine bay and body, etc. In two or three years it will be as if "off the showroom floor." a couple shops around me can fab just about anything if I can't get parts from merlin.

louweed
06/20/2013, 08:43 PM
I'm replacing parts and having a body shop paint everything with por15. I'm restoring the entire underbody piece by piece, followed by engine bay and body, etc. In two or three years it will be as if "off the showroom floor." a couple shops around me can fab just about anything if I can't get parts from merlin.

whoa. you are restoring the "entire underbody"? >>> all at once or piece by piece over a period of time? btw do you have pics of your VX? would love to see this project of the underbody. ;) thanks!

nocturnalVX
06/20/2013, 09:53 PM
I am going to have a rust repair/restoration/new paint party once mine is out West and away from the rust belt .

H3_VX
06/21/2013, 02:54 PM
whoa. you are restoring the "entire underbody"? >>> all at once or piece by piece over a period of time? btw do you have pics of your VX? would love to see this project of the underbody. ;) thanks!

The shop will be taking pics for me as I get work done. Mine is not bad, except the rockers and muffler. My frame is great. It will be piece by piece since I don't have the boatload of cash all at once. First the rockers will be fixed and then next i'll have the axles done, etc. This year I also plan on doing all fluids. I just want mine to last 40 or 50 years. :P

H3_VX
06/21/2013, 02:55 PM
I am going to have a rust repair/restoration/new paint party once mine is out West and away from the rust belt .

:happyface

Marlin
06/22/2013, 05:57 AM
I found the same rocker rust when I did the LineX job. I just filled the rear fenders with expanding foam after removing the cancer portions. Then, shave the foam down even with the metal, LineX over that, never worry again:)
I am POR15ing the frame as well. Not terribly worried about the frame as it was all surface stuff. I did the axles a few years ago, just bought a cheap HF baking soda blaster and then primered, POR15 the housings. A lot of labor, but nothing terribly difficult to do.