PDA

View Full Version : Removing factory 6 disc changer

phx99blackvx
07/27/2013, 05:17 PM
I replaced my factory head stereo unit years back with an indash mini disc player(think old school type of CD, not big in US, but was big in europe and Asia, it was the thing just before burnable CD's) I recently changed to a standard CD indash player with USB and aux input. I am going to put the minidisc player were the factory CD changer is and use the aux input on my new stereo to listen to the minidisc player. I have a large collection of mini disc that I still want to listed to while on the road. The mounts from the changer bolt right up to my mini disc player, install and fit are straight forward and good. Here are my questions:

Has any one cut the wires from the back of the changer and had any issues with the rest of the stereo/speaker wiring. I will make sure there are no exposed wires after cutting them. Does the changer wires unplug anywere from the factory wiring? I did not have to remove the main stereo to remove the changer, and do not want to remove the main stereo again unless i learn the changer wires have a harness that unplug from the rest of the factory wiring.

The changer has red/yellow/black wires that I assume are the 12 volt power, memory power and ground. Does anyone know if these wires are hot on there own, or do/did they only become hot after activating the changer from the factory stero?

BTW the changer was dead when I bought the VX. 2nd owner, purchased aprox 6 years ago with 79k, now has aprox 96k. I work from home and have other vehicles, so have been able to keep the miles down. I do believe in about 10 more years, we will have the same collectability as the old school broncos and first generation land crusiers and plan and keeping mine as long as the wheels stay on it.

Thanks for any input.

D.

housertl
07/27/2013, 07:46 PM
I just removed mine the other day... I just unclipped the connection; it was a pain, but I was worried about shorts if I just cut it.

phx99blackvx
07/28/2013, 01:53 PM
it had been so long since i changed the factory stereo out, I had forgotten the wiring from the changer plugged directlty int the back of the factor stereo, so without the factory stereo, the changer wiring harness was not plugged into anything. Figured this out after removing the main stereo again. Mini disc player is installed were changer used to be, power sourced from the fuse box. works well and looks great. :)

D.

jmayer40
07/28/2013, 03:14 PM
There's 2 sets of cables... 1 goes into radio for power/speakers. 1 goes to cd player only.. should be able to pull it out, just links the 2 units together.

RabidPony
07/29/2013, 04:38 PM
It pulls out pretty easily once unhooked from the stereo.

evillecutter
07/30/2013, 06:17 AM
minidiscs should have been the future not cd's - the minidisc was far superior in many ways i just think the timing was off and everyone had just got used to replacing their tapes with cd's so they werent ready to do it again yet - you could burn minidiscs WAY before cd's and you couldnt scratch them if im remembering correctly

and this is coming from someone who never owned a minidisc