PDA

View Full Version : VX Died Today, Lets all diagnose!!

UWVX89
07/31/2013, 04:58 PM
So I'm driving today, 30mph, hit the gas and the tranmission loses all power out of no where. VX rolls to a stop and has minimal movement (like a foot then dead) when in drive once you go from neutral to drive. I turned it off and now it won't start but the started is grinding away. However when it was running it was running fine but there was a loud knock from the area where the engine and tranny mount up, that's why I turned it off. There is not any fluid leak or drips anywhere.

I'm thinking the flywheel is tore up but would that stop the car from all driving power as well? Or is this more than just that?? Ideas?

UWVX89
07/31/2013, 05:11 PM
And I think I'm putting up forsale once this
Problem is properly dealt with. Ill be asking 7500 or trade for a Jeep Wrangler.... I know I know don't wana trade forces but I have another VX so I think trading one for a jeep is fair.

Triathlete
07/31/2013, 05:55 PM
If the flywheel breaks, yes you would get those symthems I had that happen with a Mustang. Could it be something else...of course.
You can pull the inspection plate on the bottom and take a peek in there.

UWVX89
07/31/2013, 06:08 PM
Yeah I'm guessing the same thing, I'm guessing replacing that in a timely fashion will be much fun.

dietz99vcross
07/31/2013, 07:36 PM
Yep I also concur. After my engine done blowed up and the dealer fixed it, they sent me on my way and the next morning I had the same issue. A loud thump and no go. They repaired it at no charge and took blame for the issue.

UWVX89
08/01/2013, 07:27 AM
Fly wheel is broken. Shall be fixed today!

Cutterd
08/02/2013, 08:27 AM
What exactly is the flywheel?

tom4bren
08/02/2013, 09:06 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flywheel

It's inside the bell housing of the tranny. It smoothes the output energy from the engine into something manageable by the tranny.

Basically it's a big spinning disk ... but with teeth on the outside edge that the starter uses to spin the engine during startup (but that's just the secondary purpose). The wiki actually 'splains it pretty well.

Y33TREKker
08/02/2013, 10:19 AM
So now we have to consider that even our flywheels might break during normal operation too? I'm starting to get the impression that Isuzu bought all the VX manufacturing supplies from the reman and/or bargain basement bins.

nfpgasmask
08/02/2013, 12:11 PM
So now we have to consider that even our flywheels might break during normal operation too? I'm starting to get the impression that Isuzu bought all the VX manufacturing supplies from the reman and/or bargain basement bins.
You mean General Motors.

Bart

Y33TREKker
08/02/2013, 03:12 PM
You mean General Motors.

Bart
Like I said, VX manufacturing supplies.

Triathlete
08/02/2013, 05:16 PM
So one VX flywheel breaks and now we should all be worried? The sky is falling, the sky is falling! :)

PK
08/02/2013, 05:24 PM
Technically, we don't have a flywheel.
In an automatic it is called the "damper plate" and is much lighter than the proper flywheels connected to the manual transmissions.

The flywheel is made heavy to smooth out the inertia pulses in the engine, and to carry the clutch and pressure plate.
In an automatic, the torque converter replaces the clutch and the flywheel, but we still need the "damper plate" to mount the ring gear on to engage the starter.

Here endeth the lesson.

PK

Y33TREKker
08/03/2013, 10:42 AM
So one VX flywheel breaks and now we should all be worried? The sky is falling, the sky is falling! :)

If you say so.

Triathlete
08/03/2013, 11:25 AM
If you say so.

^^^^ nope...you said so.

Y33TREKker
08/04/2013, 01:25 PM
^^^^ nope...you said so.
Nope, all I said was that now we had something new to consider based on one actual occurrence. You're the person who went chicken-little with it.

Scott Larson
08/04/2013, 03:45 PM
Oh look, Trekk's back! FWIW, in SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) terms, it's referred to as a "flexplate"...and yup, they sometimes "let-go"! PK nailed it, in that it is the "replacement" for the flywheel in an automatic trans application allowing for not only a mounting point for the starter ring gear but to also allow for minor misalignment issues between the transmission and crankshaft (the domain of the clutch plates in a manual trans application), hense the name "flexplate". The torque converter takes the place of the manual transmission-required flywheel, providing enertia to smooth-out the engines combustion pulses as well as a torque-buffer between the engine and transmission. The more you know !! :rotate:

Y33TREKker
08/04/2013, 05:06 PM
Oh look, Trekk's back!
Oh look, Scott's back!

Besides, who was even disputing that what UWVX89 was talking about was the flex plate? EVERYONE was simply referring to it as what the OP started out calling it.

There comes a point when it becomes obvious that some are just trying too hard to nitpick others...and some of you passed that point a long time ago. Funny how some of you don't hesitate doing it to others, when it's turned around you though...oh the red flags and how they do so quickly start flying. It get's real tedious, real fast.

Scott Larson
08/04/2013, 06:10 PM
Simple solution to all your problems Trekk, simply sign-off...forever. :thanx::dance::_beer::LineWave::dance::thumbup:

Mrbubba00
08/04/2013, 07:31 PM
I also had the broken flywheel on my VX a while back. The idiot that I bought mine from had the tranny out at some point and didn't line it up right and left some of the pins out which caused too much flex between the block and tranny. So eventually something had to go and it was my flywheel. I'm still cussing him today...

LittleBeast
08/04/2013, 11:15 PM

Haha, I totally agree, this is the first I have EVER heard of this breaking on any VX. But if you are looking for things to be negative about, watch out don't let that big blue thing hit you in the head :-)

tom4bren
08/05/2013, 04:45 AM
Technically, we don't have a flywheel.
In an automatic it is called the "damper plate" and is much lighter than the proper flywheels connected to the manual transmissions.

The flywheel is made heavy to smooth out the inertia pulses in the engine, and to carry the clutch and pressure plate.
In an automatic, the torque converter replaces the clutch and the flywheel, but we still need the "damper plate" to mount the ring gear on to engage the starter.

Here endeth the lesson.

PK

I stand corrected

But ...

The torque converter technically DOESN'T replace the flywheel does it:) since we still gots one.

The torque converter is just the viscous coupler that allows the "magic" of an AT to happen. If the flywheel ('Scuse me: Damper Plate) can be made lighter because of it, then that's secondary.

Yah, I'm highjacking this thread to difuse the tension that has built up.

PK - I love you man:) Just picking on you since you probably know more about internal combustion engines than most of us combined ... & you won't get your panties in a bunch!!!:)

UWVX89
08/05/2013, 07:43 AM
It's fixed, whatever y'all all wana call it. lol

RabidPony
08/05/2013, 08:18 AM
It's not a flywheel, it's a flexplate. Manual's have flywheels. Sorry, being picky. You may also want to check the trans pump, torque converter, and rear main seal for damage caused by flying bits of metal when it went bang. Would suck to have to tear it back down again. Dropping a trans can be a pain.

tom4bren
08/05/2013, 08:37 AM
HMMMM

The gospel according to internet (wikipedia) has no listing for either damper plate or for flexplate ... go figger.

I think I'll just keep calling it a flywheel & Y'all feel free to correct me on each and every opportunity.:)

The important thing is that UWVX89 got his baby back on the road.

Y33TREKker
08/05/2013, 01:10 PM
Simple solution to all your problems Trekk, simply sign-off...forever.
Eh, some things are actually problems, and some are just more like annoying little gnats. It's all a matter of perspective.

PK
08/05/2013, 03:53 PM
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Guess it all depends where you went to school as to what you call it.
He got his truck fixed - the rest don't matter.

All good Tom - y'all y'all call it what you like..

PK

Scott Larson
08/05/2013, 04:37 PM
For once, Trekk and I are in complete agreement! Yes, we have an accord. (Actually, we have VehiCrosses...some would say "VehiCri"!) :_beer:

Triathlete
08/05/2013, 05:12 PM
y'all y'all call it what you like..

Hence, from this date forward it shall be known as the tranny frisbee duhinkey thingamabob ;)

tom4bren
08/06/2013, 05:07 AM
Hence, from this date forward it shall be known as the tranny frisbee duhinkey thingamabob ;)

'Cept UWVX89, he can call his a 'frywheel'.:)

UWVX89
08/06/2013, 07:08 AM
HMMMM

The gospel according to internet (wikipedia) has no listing for either damper plate or for flexplate ... go figger.

I think I'll just keep calling it a flywheel & Y'all feel free to correct me on each and every opportunity.:)

The important thing is that UWVX89 got his baby back on the road.

The part I ordered from my local Isuzu service center was a "Flywheel"